3.01 cannot see sata hard drive (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
Mercedes350se

3.01 cannot see sata hard drive (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

I know I am a stick in the mud but 3.01 is still my favourite.

I have built up a new machine, still with old tech because the parts were there, and 3.01 cannot find the SATA hard drive.

4.1.2 currently a full install on the drive partition 1 (has issue which is the subject of another thread), frugal install of 5.2.8 on partition 4, Ubuntu 12.04 (previously installed but deleted) and lubuntu 13.04 on partition 3 have no trouble.

For the record my build is:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L
CPU E5200
RAM 4GB Corsair something or other
Video Card GeForce 8400 GS
PSU Corsair HX520W
DVD Drive out of the previous build.

A push in the correct direction will be gratefully received.
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Thu 24 Oct 2013, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

3.01 rocks

#2 Post by darry1966 »

You're no stick in the mud mate 3.01 is still very useful if it works for you good on you. I use it as a work horse everyday. Hope you get an answer.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

Give us an

Code: Select all

uname -a
and

grep -i SATA /etc/modules/DOTconfig*
It is likely that it is an IDE kernel and has sata drivers but as modules and they are missing inside the initrd.gz .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Older puppy kernels will not work with many sata configurations (though intel SATA works on puppy 2.12!). Puppy 4 was first to support sata but messed up EIDE hence the 'retro' kernels.

Only solution would be a kernel transplant
There might be 'compatability mode' in your bios..though such did not work for me.
mike

Mercedes350se

#5 Post by Mercedes350se »

Karl Godt wrote:Give us an

uname -a
and

grep -i SATA /etc/modules/DOTconfig*
It is likely that it is an IDE kernel and has sata drivers but as modules and they are missing inside the initrd.gz .
From the LiveCD of 3.01:

uname -a
puppypc 2.6.21.7 (and other stuff about the CPU)

grep -i SATA /etc/modules/DOTconfigure*
no such file or directory
For the sake of discussion on this 5.2.8 install I get:

sh-4.1# grep -i SATA /etc/modules/DOTconfig*
CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=y
CONFIG_SATA_SVW=y
CONFIG_SATA_MV=y
CONFIG_SATA_NV=y
CONFIG_SATA_QSTOR=y
CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=y
CONFIG_SATA_SX4=y
CONFIG_SATA_SIL=y
CONFIG_SATA_SIS=y
CONFIG_SATA_ULI=y
CONFIG_SATA_VIA=y
CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE=y
CONFIG_SATA_INIC162X=y
HTH.
mikeb wrote:Only solution would be a kernel transplant
What effect would that have on the look, feel and general loveliness of 3.01?

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Hmm externally very little difference but there may be odd quirks to deal with. The retro kernel of puppy 4.12 is almost the same as the one in puppy 3 so the 4.12 non retro kernel would be the least disruptive.

The only other thing is puppy 4 added some firmware handling stuff and gzipped some modem drivers so its handling of such things is different to a standard distro.... how much this affects anything using such drivers I am uncertain and if it concerns drivers you do not use then its nothing to worry about.
To swap you have to transplant the /lib/modules...plus do similar in the initrd and finally of course swap the kernel itself so some puppy familiarity needed.

Actually I am whining in a thread about this very subject
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0&start=45
so worth a look there. By the way adding sata to the 2.6.21 puppy kernels would mean a complete rebuilt of it.

Actually I changed puppy 4.12 to a 2.6.24.5 kernel from slax 6 .. that has SMP and sata handling so such things are douable.

No options in the bios?

mike

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

Really ?
sh-4.1# grep -i SATA /etc/modules/DOTconfig*
Typo ?

FeodorF

#8 Post by FeodorF »

@Karl Godt

Hi Karl,

what do you think about this:

Puppy 4.0 was built with the same kernel as 3.01 but with sata support.

Will Puppy 4.0 support sata on his MoBo (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L)?

Could this be an easy way to update 3.01 by adding what's available in 4.0 for sata use?

Cheers,
Feodor

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

FeodorF wrote:@Karl Godt
Hi Karl,
what do you think about this:
Puppy 4.0 was built with the same kernel as 3.01 but with sata support.
Will Puppy 4.0 support sata on his MoBo (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L)?
Could this be an easy way to update 3.01 by adding what's available in 4.0 for sata use?
Cheers,
Feodor
Don't know , I start to feel like an archeologist digging up old Puppy version .
Must say that I think I have a Macpup Puppy version 3 somewhere on a magazine DVD added as additional iso , but not added to the live boot menu .

Will try to fetch it , since I bought that magazine two or three years before I had a PC again , and have a DVD machine since end of 2011 .

[ Edit ] Done - needed to sfsconvert it from squashfs v3 to v4
-> DOTconfig* is located in /lib/modules/DOTconfig-K2.6.21.7 back then , in opposite to /etc/modules of today's Puppies .
But like in the kindergarden here , need to dig like a digger for grown up people .
bash-3.00# grep -i SATA DOTconfig*
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
CONFIG_SATA_SVW=y
# CONFIG_SATA_MV is not set
CONFIG_SATA_NV=y
CONFIG_SATA_QSTOR=y
CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=y
CONFIG_SATA_SX4=y
CONFIG_SATA_SIL=y
CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=y
CONFIG_SATA_SIS=y
CONFIG_SATA_ULI=y
CONFIG_SATA_VIA=y
CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE=y
# CONFIG_SATA_INIC162X is not set
CONFIG_SATA_INTEL_COMBINED=y
CONFIG_SATA_ACPI=y
Seems not to know of much SATA back then , but that is known is inside the kernel .
bash-3.00# grep -i _IDE DOTconfig*
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEACPI=y
# CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_ARM is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set
Not much Macpup related info in there and /usr/share/doc/release-3.01.htm in there says :
The live-CD iso file is 'puppy-3.01-seamonkey.iso' and is 98.6MB. There is also a "retro" live-CD, 'puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso' that is the same except uses an older kernel -- it is also smaller, at 94.8MB.

This time I have not created a detailed release-notes page, instead, for further information please go to my Developer News Blog: http://www.puppylinux.com/news/.

Puppy 3.01 is a bug-fix upgrade of 3.00. Please read the above Blog link for details. If you are currently using 3.00 (or have tried to use 3.00 and have encountered a show-stopper bug!), please read the Blog first to find out if your particular problem has been addressed -- if not, it may be addressed in 3.02. The purpose of 3.01 is simply to fix the most urgent bugs and niggles in 3.00, not apply any major changes or package upgrades.

This Puppy (3.00 and 3.01) is a massive upgrade from the previous (v2.17.1). I decided to aim for close binary compatibility with Slackware 12, with the objective of being able to install Slackware packages and have all or most of the required dependencies already in place. To that end, I used all the building block packages from Slackware 12, such as glibc 2.5, gcc 4.1.2 and gtk 2.10.13. Most of the libraries in Puppy are now from Slackware. Note, though, this does not in any way make Puppy a clone of Slackware -- apart from aiming for binary compatibility, Puppy is fundamentally unique from the foundations upward.

Mercedes350se

#10 Post by Mercedes350se »

Karl Godt wrote:
Typo ?
Yes.
mikeb wrote:No options in the bios?
Doesn't seem to be - am running legacy IDE I think which works fine with other versions as stated above.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Hmm I have never been convinced by those 'legacy' settings...they might appease windows XP install disks perhaps but worth a try.

Anyway the sata and puppy situation is as stated.

Just to clarify.
The kernels in older puppies could have supported SATA/libATA if configured suitably but were not.
Puppy 4 (not 4.3x) standard uses 2.6.25.16, puppy 4 retro used 2.6.21.7 and puppy 3 used 2.6.21.5 as puppy 2.17 did.

mike

Mercedes350se

#12 Post by Mercedes350se »

I have looked at the thread referenced above and have the following questions.

1. Could I use the 4.1.2 kernel in the 3.01? I have various DVB stuff set up in 4.1.2 on the old machine so a simple copy would be great.

2. I assume when the later kernel is grafted in that, in my case, 3.01 packages would still work but anything like the devx would have to be 4.1.2?

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

1. Could I use the 4.1.2 kernel in the 3.01? I have various DVB stuff set up in 4.1.2 on the old machine so a simple copy would be great.

2. I assume when the later kernel is grafted in that, in my case, 3.01 packages would still work but anything like the devx would have to be 4.1.2?
1=yes apart from kernels drivers/kernel modules.... 2= not quite...the 3.01 devx would still apply but for kernel module building then you would need the 4.12 kernel sources... the 2 can work together... I have a puppy that has a slax kernel and do the same... its handy as a driver built for one will work in the other.

If you are going to try then obviously back up your existing setup....... also note that the initrd in 4.12 is normally a cpio so unpacks in a different way... the module arrangement inside is still like 3.01 as far as I remember...you will see.... if so then the init script accounts for the new kernel version number.

You might benefit from joining the kernel swap thread for assistance rather than here.

mike

Mercedes350se

#14 Post by Mercedes350se »

mikeb wrote:Puppy 4 was first to support sata but messed up EIDE hence the 'retro' kernels. mike
and
mikeb wrote:The retro kernel of puppy 4.12 is almost the same as the one in puppy 3 so the 4.12 non retro kernel would be the least disruptive. mike
Is the word non a typo?

What is the name of 4.1.2 with the retro kernel?

James C

#15 Post by James C »

Mercedes350se wrote: What is the name of 4.1.2 with the retro kernel?
How about 4.1.2 Retro....
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... monkey.iso

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... so.md5.txt

Mercedes350se

#16 Post by Mercedes350se »

Thank you.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Just to reaffirm, or affirm... the 'retro' 4.12 will not support most sata drives.

mike

Mercedes350se

#18 Post by Mercedes350se »

Just checked. The kernel in 3.01 and 4.1.2 retro is the same i.e. 2.6.21.7 so there is no sata support as you quite rightly stated.

Mercedes350se

#19 Post by Mercedes350se »

I seem to have managed to install the 4.1.2 kernel into 3.01 so all is good.

rjbrewer

#20 Post by rjbrewer »

Mercedes350se wrote:Just checked. The kernel in 3.01 and 4.1.2 retro is the same i.e. 2.6.21.7 so there is no sata support as you quite rightly stated.
I booted that 3.01 into my Optiplex gx520 which has sata
dvdrw and sata hard drive without problem.
Used gparted and universal installer to do a quick full install of
3.01 without problem.

It also worked with the ssd internal drive on my Msi netbook.

It wouldn't mount the 3.xx partitions but mounted the 2.xx
okay.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs