What's the best alternative to Windows 8?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else

What is the best Windows 8 alternative?

Linux Mint
19%
Ubuntu
5%
Fedora
No votes
Puppy
43%
Debian
10%
openSUSE
No votes
PCLinuxOS
No votes
Kubuntu
No votes
Mageia
No votes
OS X
No votes
Other, please state below
24%

Total votes: 21

starhawk

#21 Post by starhawk »

@nooby -- Windows XP support ends April of next year. My understanding (which may be wrong) is that when that happens you will no longer be able to activate XP.

nooby

#22 Post by nooby »

starhawk wrote:@nooby -- Windows XP support ends April of next year. My understanding (which may be wrong) is that when that happens you will no longer be able to activate XP.

Oh that would mean disaster then for some of my computers.
But the win Vista and Win 7 will still work for a while then?

Would they program this time into the code when I go online next time then.

I mean for how long have they had that time limit coded into the boot up?

If one never go online could I not use the programs or do a restore
to earlier time point?

sorry for going derail a bit.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

darrelljon

#23 Post by darrelljon »

I read that Microsoft will release an activation key that does not require the servers.

nubc

#24 Post by nubc »

Attn: Fatdog users
In response to the recommendation of Fatdog for 64-bit computer, I am downloading 6.21, 6.11, 6.01, and 5.21. Does this selection cover Fatdog, or is there another particular version that works better?

dancytron

#25 Post by dancytron »

starhawk wrote:@nooby -- Windows XP support ends April of next year. My understanding (which may be wrong) is that when that happens you will no longer be able to activate XP.
XP activation has been well hacked. You don't need Microsoft to activate it (and it wouldn't be illegal/immoral if you already own it).

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

But if you don't already own it...

Also, I really wouldn't anticipate it being terribly much fun to explain to a local cop why I (hypothetically) hacked my WinXP install even tho I already had a perfectly good COA. I don't think the PD would understand...

Yeah, I know the "...if you don't get caught..." argument, and I don't agree with it at all. Maybe my morals are too strong for the time I'm in, though, since a lot of people seem to think it's cool to throw a grownup temper tantrum and shut down governments to try and remove a law that they don't like but everyone else does. Talk about playground politics... geez...

dancytron

#27 Post by dancytron »

If you don't own it, then it isn't right to hack it.

I am thinking of the scenario where you have a computer with the XP COA sticker on it or have the licensed Windows XP disks. Your hard drive blows up. If Windows doesn't support activating anymore (or for that matter if it is just more convenient), there is no good reason not to use a hacked version or hack it yourself.

As far as the local cops, they have better things to do and wouldn't waste their time with such foolishness.

Bligh

#28 Post by Bligh »

If you have cloned your win install, and keep data on a separate partition, not a problem. I don't have any plans to purchase win8.
Cheers