Fatfog64 sound quit working (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
joerice50

Fatfog64 sound quit working (Solved)

#1 Post by joerice50 »

Hi All

I returned to an old Fatdog64 (installation on a spare hard drive) after a number of years and everything worked great for about 2 weeks, but now the sound has stopped working! is it possible to inadvertently mute it? If so I would be grateful for the un-mute instruction?.

The Multiple sound card wizard reports 3 sound cards all card 0 with device identifiers 0, 1 and 3 The default device is Nvidia (HDA NVidia) ALC888 Analog, others are ALC888 Digital and the final device is HDMI 0. which is odd as its a Realtek manufactured sound card.

The only thing different I recall prior to the sound failure is the installation of libre Office via an SFS

Any ideas for fault finding are appreciated, how can I test if the sound card has failed?

Note I have a dump of the modules loaded if required but cannot remember the rules for attaching them to a post so have added it here.

DESCRIPTION: Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] High Definition Audio
VENDOR: 10de DEVICE: 0774
KERNEL MODULE: snd_hda_intel

KERNEL MODULE: snd-hda-intel

Cheers

Joe Rice[/list]

chapchap70

#2 Post by chapchap70 »

What I am going to say is pretty basic but since no one else has replied, I'll chime in on the off chance of this being the issue.

On Fatdog 64 621, there is a volume contro/speakerl icon in the system tray. If yours has this and you right click on it, it should bring up some choices. Click on "Volume Control" settings. The alsamixer window should appear. Check the levels on here.

About the HDMI choice: This is used this to get sound working through a TV with HDMI. If your computer has an HDMI port, (maybe through an added graphics card) you would connect this to the TV and switch to the HDMI option to get sound working through the TV otherwise the sound would continue to play through your PC speakers. (Your speaker jacks didn't come loose, did they?)

joerice50

#3 Post by joerice50 »

Hi Chapchap70

Thanks for the advice, but I cannot see a volume/speaker control I must have an earlier version of Fatdog. Do you know where the speaker mute (if any) is situated in earlier fatdog versions? I have checked the audio out jacks and they are fine.

Hang on a mo. I do recall a green speaker icon that was in the bottom right of the screen and this is no longer viewable, which might mean that the system is not loading a sound driver. Your advice on why I don't have a green speaker viewable might be the route to the answer.

Cheers

Joe Rice

CatDude

#4 Post by CatDude »

Hello joerice50

I will take a stab in the dark and guess that you may have a corrupt /etc/asound.conf file,
and suggest that you read this

You can read the whole thread, but the post that link points to may provide the answer.

Hope you have success
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

joerice50

#5 Post by joerice50 »

Hi All

Its fixed! it was due to a muted first channel in AlsaMixer reading mm instead of 00. I haven't got the green speaker icon back at the bottom of the screen so any advice on getting this displayed again would be welcome,

Anyway I'm off to listen to some music, thanks for all the advice

Cheers

Joe Rice

mill0001

#6 Post by mill0001 »

Try reinstalling retrovol from PPM