How to uninstall Firefox from Slacko Puppy 5.5?

Booting, installing, newbie
nathanallen347

How to uninstall Firefox from Slacko Puppy 5.5?

#1 Post by nathanallen347 »

Hello, I installed Puppy Linux on my laptop a few days ago, I have learned ALOT and I mean ALOT about linux since then, but what I'm having problems with is uninstalling Firefox as I am attempting to switch to Opera, okay, when I search for Firefox in Puppy Package Manager it shows three results that state they are already installed. This confuses me because when I click uninstall they don't show up in the uninstall puppy packages menu, can anyone help me?

01micko

Re: How to uninstall Firefox from Slacko Puppy 5.5?

#2 Post by 01micko »

nathanallen347 wrote:Hello, I installed Puppy Linux on my laptop a few days ago, I have learned ALOT and I mean ALOT about linux since then, but what I'm having problems with is uninstalling Firefox as I am attempting to switch to Opera, okay, when I search for Firefox in Puppy Package Manager it shows three results that state they are already installed. This confuses me because when I click uninstall they don't show up in the uninstall puppy packages menu, can anyone help me?
Anything included in the main filesystem can't truly be removed. That said you can "mask" it by using "Remove builtin packages" (Menu > Setup). Install Opera then you can remaster if you really want to be rid of Firefox.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Wognath

sfs file grows

#3 Post by Wognath »

Hello 01micko,
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a closely related question. I don't use firefox, so I tried what you suggested above. Also removed flash player. I expected the remastered puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs file to be significantly smaller. To my surprise, it is 25Mb larger than the original. Can you explain please????

I also tried editing the sfs file using pizzagood's Edit_SFS. Same result.

P.S. Slacko is awesome. Thanks! I don't know why I waited so long to try it out.

rg66

#4 Post by rg66 »

@ Wognath

pizzasgood's sfs editor only uses gz compression, sounds like the remaster script is the same. Did it give you a choice of xz or gz?

You can try dir2sfs on the extracted folder, it should give you the choice of compression. Or you can use mksquashfs -comp xz from the cli.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Maybe something here will help. You may have missed a step in the remaster process.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Wognath

#6 Post by Wognath »

@rg66
I think that was it...using mksquashfs -comp xz I got a sfs about 25Mb smaller than the original (after removing mozilla and libflashplayer--59Mb). dir2sfs did not give me a compression option--older version maybe?
@bigpup
I'll try remastering again (cleaner removal of firefox) following CatDude's suggestions as soon as my processor cools off
Thanks to both

jrb

Re: sfs file grows

#7 Post by jrb »

Wognath wrote:Hello 01micko,
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a closely related question. I don't use firefox, so I tried what you suggested above. Also removed flash player. I expected the remastered puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs file to be significantly smaller. To my surprise, it is 25Mb larger than the original. Can you explain please????

I also tried editing the sfs file using pizzagood's Edit_SFS. Same result.

P.S. Slacko is awesome. Thanks! I don't know why I waited so long to try it out.
Whats even easier :D is use PHATSlacko-5.5.02-ORIGINAL.iso and get rid of Micko's adrive. You end up with no browser and no office suite so you can add anything you like. Very easy.

Cheers, J

Wognath

#8 Post by Wognath »

@jrb
Cool! thanks, I'll try that too. By the way, I got a couple of your baby and barebones isos a while ago but had issues with drivers that exceeded my skills :( .

rg66

#9 Post by rg66 »

Wognath wrote:I think that was it...using mksquashfs -comp xz I got a sfs about 25Mb smaller than the original (after removing mozilla and libflashplayer--59Mb). dir2sfs did not give me a compression option--older version maybe?
The dir2sfs I use is from Carolina (I think) and it offers compession type. I've attached it below. It goes in /sbin.
Attachments
dir2sfs.gz
(652 Bytes) Downloaded 178 times
Last edited by rg66 on Sun 06 Oct 2013, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

rg66

#10 Post by rg66 »

Double post :oops: