How to manual full install of Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

How to manual full install of Puppy?

#1 Post by nubc »

I have seen this procedure before, but I can't find it now. I would like a brief summary of how to do a manual full install of Puppy. I seem to recall that all this involves is transferring 3 files off the disk, and maybe creating a container directory. If you know how to do this, or can link me to a tutorial, please drop a note. Thanks

Galbi

#2 Post by Galbi »

Making a directory an copying 3 files is the procedure to do a manual FRUGAL install.

I've never used Puppy full installed so I don't know if it's possible to install manually.

Sorry, I can't help you.

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

How bout if I full install to a standard hard drive, then copy all contents to a removable drive, and then transfer to the destination drive on the computer? Sound feasible?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Sounds possible.

I think the Puppy Universal Installer will do a full install to the removable drive.
Depends on size and what it is. Would save you a step.

Some reason you can not do a normal full install by using a booted live Puppy CD/DVD or USB?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#5 Post by James C »

Here's how some have done it....might be of some help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 681#614681

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

In the filesystem, where is hardware configuration stored (video, audio, chipset, network, etc.)? Looks like the installed OS is 4.3 GB, so I will connect the hard drive to the destination computer with a IDE-to-USB converter cable. Wow, just having the hard drive connected to laptop's USB caused both full install Slacko 5.5 and live CD Slacko 5.5 to stall out and not boot. Two directories failed to transfer, usr and var, which happened to be the last two folders in alphabetical order. Now Slacko's pmount will not see the hard drive, even after reboot.

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

I deleted a partition and then added a new similar partition. There is a huge file that I can't delete off this partition, named Lost & Found, 337 MB in size. Even formatting won't eliminate it. What is it? How do I get rid of it?

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)