What is your favourite Puppy distro?

Promote Puppy !
mikeb

#41 Post by mikeb »

@ tallboy

you can find older debian at http://archive.debian.org/ even if .net is not update. I assume they did that to try and force users to update like microsoft do. I assume they will do it again so thats the place to look. Ah lenny...before the bloat crept in.....

My favourite puppy is the one you build yourself :)

mike

purmasuu

My favorite

#42 Post by purmasuu »

I think the 528 is th most bug free . The seamonkey has the widest abilty to down load . I like The dill speed but it is frustrating to use . there are a lot of do's and don'ts . I thinkt that a browser should do most normal actions of a regular browser . one shouldn't need to reinvent the wheel everytime; to use a browser .

My one regret is my inability to use the multimedia on old testing cd's . I can either run the video or run the cd aplication quiz w/o sound or only visually . Xine doesnt function properly nor the mplayer .

Everytime I download the flash player I get the same puzzling "no plug-in " notice .

I am sure this is because I haven't been using them properly .

RetroTechGuy

Re: My favorite

#43 Post by RetroTechGuy »

purmasuu wrote: I think the 528 is th most bug free . The seamonkey has the widest abilty to down load . I like The dill speed but it is frustrating to use . there are a lot of do's and don'ts . I thinkt that a browser should do most normal actions of a regular browser . one shouldn't need to reinvent the wheel everytime; to use a browser .

My one regret is my inability to use the multimedia on old testing cd's . I can either run the video or run the cd aplication quiz w/o sound or only visually . Xine doesnt function properly nor the mplayer .

Have you tried just dropping your media onto the "play" icon, on the desktop? It launches gnome-mplayer as the default. I find it plays virtually everything... Many (most?) file formats should automagically launch, if you click on them.

Once you know that it works, you can set it as the default program for those extensions that don't auto-launch, right click on the file, and select "set run action" -- then drag the default player icon into the box offered.

Everytime I download the flash player I get the same puzzling "no plug-in " notice .

I am sure this is because I haven't been using them properly .
You probably need to follow this:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/libflashplayer?redirect=no

Basically, you're going to get the flash library, and manually place it in the appropriate folder. Once this is done, you don't need the folder it creates (perhaps do the untar operation in /tmp/, so it will self clean when you shutdown)

When looking for fixes and such for Puppy, I do a Google search for (for example):

Code: Select all

puppy linux flash wikka
The Puppy Wikka has a lot of software fixes/info on it...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Dookus
Location: now living in wonderful Stanmore, inner western suburb of Sydney Australia, where the sun shines nic

Re: What is your favourite Puppy distro?

#44 Post by Dookus »

rmcellig wrote:What is your favourite Puppy distro and why did you choose that distro?

My fav distro is Puppy Linux 5.2.8 (so far). I find it easy to get going with this distro.
4xx was the first I tried, all were brilliant, then I tried 5xx Slacko all have fully supported my hardware and have made some cranky old machines seem like something decent, have been trying 5.5 Slacko on some older desktops and it's as robust as any OS I've ever tried.

haitek

Slacko 5.6

#45 Post by haitek »

Slacko 5.6 has my current vote. I purchased some new hardware and couldn't get ANY operating system to work properly. After about a dozen attempts at different OS installations I popped a Slacko 5.6 PAE CD in the drive. It is as though it was made for this hardware config. It installed in about 10 minutes and runs oh so sweetly (thanx 01micko) 8)

nic007

#46 Post by nic007 »

Customized version of Puppy 412 which has Java and older wine included plus a few extra tweaks. Newer puppies are too slow for me on my 256mb RAM machine

Ted Dog

#47 Post by Ted Dog »

My old notebook runs best on 412 version of quirky, everything else since 5.0 series overheats, mousepad doesn't work, and wifi drops after 20minutes. :cry:

Current version of FatDog64 is my favorite since it truly allows my server grade hardware shine to its full speed.

nitehawk

#48 Post by nitehawk »

Currently I have a customized version of Puppy 421 and Puppy 431 (on two different older computers). Sweet.
I also was trying out the old Puppy 301 again. Surprized at how well it worked,...but settled on the two above.

I also have Racy 5.2.2 installed as well (but think I really prefer the 4xx series the best. Lovely Puppies.

@Ted Dog--
is the 412 version of Quirky --Quirky 1.4???
If so,...I really do like that Puppy also. (So many terrific older puppies to choose from).

Ted Dog

#49 Post by Ted Dog »

Tried booting old notebook, dead batteries, yes it was the 4.12-4.20 time frame but could have been quirky 1.4, sound right but can't confirm.

darry1966

#50 Post by darry1966 »

nitehawk wrote:Currently I have a customized version of Puppy 421 and Puppy 431 (on two different older computers). Sweet.
I also was trying out the old Puppy 301 again. Surprized at how well it worked,...but settled on the two above.

I also have Racy 5.2.2 installed as well (but think I really prefer the 4xx series the best. Lovely Puppies.

@Ted Dog--
is the 412 version of Quirky --Quirky 1.4???
If so,...I really do like that Puppy also. (So many terrific older puppies to choose from).
For those that are not in the know these great Retro versions can be downloaded at archive.org
http://archive.org/search.php?query=puppy%20linux

RetroTechGuy

Re: Reply

#51 Post by RetroTechGuy »

darry1966 wrote:For those that are not in the know these great Retro versions can be downloaded at archive.org
http://archive.org/search.php?query=puppy%20linux
Also, a lot of the "stable" releases can be found at Ibiblio (I forget the European mirror, which some say is "faster"):

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Bligh

#52 Post by Bligh »

I currently have more Puppy releases and derivatives than I will have time to use. I now use Precise 5.25 and 5.5
Cheers

Eyes-Only

#53 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi RetroTechGuy!

That Euro Server you mentioned is here:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/

I think the only reason as to "why" it's faster is because fewer people know about it - despite it being an Ibiblio mirror in Europe - ergo, there's a lot of empty bandwidth just sitting there waiting to be used. ;)

At Ibiblio, here in the Good Ol' US of A, everyone and their grandmother knows about the site and therefore uses it, right down to the Bushmen on the Kalahari. So despite having terabytes of server space and gigs of processing power their "pipeline is choked by cypress roots and they need a visit from the Roto-Rooter Man", so to speak. LOL! ;)

I have discovered one thing, however, about using NLUUG ( as the Euro server is named ) that disturbs me a wee bit: The downloads rarely equal their accompanying MD5SUM files. I haven't a clue why. All I know is that NONE of the files taken from their have acted any differently than their doppelgänger counterparts taken from Ibiblio. Oh well! hehe!

I hope this has helped not only you RetroTechguy, but others as well.

Cheers/Amicalement!

( P/s: Again - just as I've posted in another thread - I'm not even 75% awake yet so I apologise for any mistakes above AND for being so long-winded. Mea maxima culpa! )

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

01micko

#54 Post by 01micko »

Eyes-Only wrote:At Ibiblio, here in the Good Ol' US of A, everyone and their grandmother knows about the site and therefore uses it, right down to the Bushmen on the Kalahari. So despite having terabytes of server space and gigs of processing power their "pipeline is choked by cypress roots and they need a visit from the Roto-Rooter Man", so to speak. LOL! :wink:
A good theory :) .

However, since Ibiblio is a primary site for much open source software, serving millions (billions?) of end users, and all the mirrors, they have capped bandwidth to end users so that mirrors rsyncing the Ibiblio repository get priority. ( I did have a reference to that somewhere but it escapes me now :oops: ). I'm sure amigo (who has an account at ibiblio) can confirm the same or similar.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

nubc

#55 Post by nubc »

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Wary 5.1.1, though it has some hiccups, like not recognizing USB-connected I/O devices when full-installed. There's not much to keep me from moving on up, however, except Ttuuxxx's excellent VLC Plus Extras package, which fully configures VLC. The trouble with the 4xx series is that none of them did VLC when they were current.

rjbrewer

#56 Post by rjbrewer »

nubc wrote:I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Wary 5.1.1, though it has some hiccups, like not recognizing USB-connected I/O devices when full-installed. There's not much to keep me from moving on up, however, except Ttuuxxx's excellent VLC Plus Extras package, which fully configures VLC. The trouble with the 4xx series is that none of them did VLC when they were current.
I'm using mostly Wary 5.3 or 5.5 on my laptops.
The equalizer included in VLC is very handy for fine adjustment
of the headphone sound output which is different depending
on the particular machine in use.

Using Wary and VLC tends to show much lower cpu, load average
and temperature, than the newer kernel Pups.

Not having much problem with usb devices.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Billtoo

What is your favourite Puppy distro?

#57 Post by Billtoo »

My favorite Puppy is Lighthouse 602b2, it has been working great for
me.I was able to upgrade VLC to the latest version even though my
compiling knowledge is very limited, yahoo :)
Get well soon tazoc!
Attachments
vlcscreen.jpg
(72.98 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
vlcscreen2.jpg
(43.97 KiB) Downloaded 765 times

ThoriumBlvd

Slacko Puppy 5.5-XL

#58 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

Many thanks to all involved for developing Puppy Slacko 5.5-XL. My Eee 900a has never been better, and is updated well. FF-25 security update on FF-23.
Some backgrounds were editted using MPaint, and now have a nice setup. There is nothing buggy I can't handle yet, just takes a little time/patience. A good way to give life to old netbooks like these 900a's that get bricked by the orig. OS and put aside. Included is a reduced image of the d-top.
Last edited by ThoriumBlvd on Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:23, edited 3 times in total.

leeper69

favourite puppy

#59 Post by leeper69 »

Hi I am new to puppy and am using puppy 5.7 on an old p3 laptop and am slowly getting things set up the way I like them. I have tyred a lot of Linux distros and puppy stands out as one of the best for useability and functionality! I also like the Ubuntu repositories because Xubuntu is my choice on my home system.
It,s nice to be running with the pack!!!

cimarron

#60 Post by cimarron »

Iguleder's GuyDog was a revelation. It runs much better on my old Thinkpad X24 (256M RAM) than the Lupu 5.1 I had been using, even with GuyDog's better features (Openbox, tint2, wbar). I used to have to scale videos down and use smaller formats to get them to play smoothly, and my processor was frequently maxed out by other programs. But that's rarely the case with GuyDog and I can even play videos full screen no problem. I don't know how he did it--a big thank you to Iguleder.

These are thumbnails, click to view larger. The theme is Owl Light.

Image Image

Faenza icons. Figured out how to autohide wbar (set unfocused alpha to 0). Also installed SpaceFM as file manager. Even sifted through the code of several applications (pmount, filemnt, edit-sfs) to replace the remnants of Rox-filer with SpaceFM. Iguleder removed rox (thank you!), but it took a little more effort to root out all the traces in puppy code and applications that assume rox is there.