Knoppix 7.2 EN DVD on USB flash

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
otropogo

Knoppix 7.2 EN DVD on USB flash

#1 Post by otropogo »

Have installed Knoppix 7.2 EN DVD to USBflash on my 10-year old Intel desktop PC, and it seems to run more smoothly than last year's version. But maybe that's because previously I installed to USB on my more recent laptop and then booted the Intel from it.

Newer versions of the Kernel, Gimp, and a lot of other stuff. I finally got ClamAV working, but can't find the documentation I installed, and can't figure out how to get the signature and gui updaters to work.

It comes with Chrome ready to run, as well as Iceweasel. Worth having, if only as a rescue DVD, but you have to install to USBflash if you want to configure it or add apps, or else install it to the hard drive. Haven't figured out how to install to a USB hard drive.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

watchdog

Re: Knoppix 7.2 EN DVD

#2 Post by watchdog »

otropogo wrote:Haven't figured out how to install to a USB hard drive.
Try Plop boot manager and unetbootin giving persistence if supported:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87064

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71455

otropogo

#3 Post by otropogo »

watchdog wrote:
otropogo wrote:Haven't figured out how to install to a USB hard drive.
Try Plop boot manager and unetbootin giving persistence if supported:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87064

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71455
Still haven't gotten around to using unetbootin, but I recently got my hands on a haswell laptop and haven't figured out how to boot Puppy on it from either Live CD or usbflash installations.

The new machine has a UEFI "BIOS", whose "secure boot" setting has to be disabled, while CSM is enabled, and only then can the PC boot from an external source. But the boot drive also has to be configured a certain way.

OTOH, I dusted off an old usbflash install of Knoppix 7.2 made on a very different machine, and other than needing a little tweeking at first bootup on the display resolution with syntax provided with the F2 and f3 keys., it boots and runs flawlessly.

The secret of all this seems to be that Knopper put all of the boot info in a folder called "boot" inside another folder called "EFI" in the root directory. Apparently, that's where the UEFI "BIOS" looks for the boot info, and nowhere else. I haven't tried reconfiguring my Puppy flash drives and trying it with them yet.

There is one hitch in the English Knoppix 64bit mode - the menus and keyboard are german and have to be changed to lang=en either at bootup or in the syslinux64.cfg file.

And if you choose to do it in syslinux64.cfg, you'd better do it after booting in regular 32 bit mode. Because the us hardware keyboard is hard to navigate when switched to german.

the instructions for doing this are in the 7.2 cheatcodes file.

the last saviour

#4 Post by the last saviour »

Hi
Is it possible that you let me know the app. in the Multimedia, Graphic, Utility and internet in this Knoppix?
A screenshot of menu should be fine.
Thank
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

otropogo

#5 Post by otropogo »

the last saviour wrote:Hi
Is it possible that you let me know the app. in the Multimedia, Graphic, Utility and internet in this Knoppix?
A screenshot of menu should be fine.
Thank
Sure, but it might be a couple of days before I can get around to it.

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Otropogo
otropogo wrote:... I recently got my hands on a haswell laptop and haven't figured out how to boot ... The new machine has a UEFI "BIOS", whose "secure boot" setting has to be disabled, while CSM is enabled, and only then can the PC boot from an external source. But the boot drive also has to be configured a certain way. ...
ALL Haswell's come standard with UEFI versus the old BIOS we are accustomed to. UEFI provide (my own jargon) "the way to make propietary a specific OS to a given platform". So, if you purchased your PC from a vendor/store, it probably came "locked" to Microsoft.

No problem as several PUPs have already addressed this mechanism. FATDOG and LightHouse have, both, achieved this level of accomplishment.

CAUTION: Please read the FATDOG discussion on initial use with UEFI PCs!.There is simple, but, specific guidance from @JamesBond on the initial use. If followed, you will NOT have any issues for booting, thereafter; no matter FATDOG/Lighthouse.

Haswell is exclusively 64bit hardware.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 19:04, edited 2 times in total.

otropogo

#7 Post by otropogo »

Thanks gc. I'm afraid it's too late for me to do anything "on initial use", but will certainly study your linked page to get the gory details.