Where's my synaptics gone?

Using applications, configuring, problems
kickstart

Where's my synaptics gone?

#1 Post by kickstart »

Have been trying out RG66's X-precise and X-slacko on my new laptop and found that double tap and drag using the touchpad doesn't work. Double tap to open files & folders works fine. All touchpad functions ok in X-precise non-PAE version.

I tried to play around with the touchpad parameters with flSynclient and got the error message "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?" so was unable to use flSynclient. I then went on to discover this error came up with every version of Puppy I have frugally installed on this laptop and also when running from a live CD with no save file loaded. Despite this the touchpad works normally in every version of Puppy apart from X-precise and X-slacko. In Saluki, the other Xfce OS I have installed, the touchpad works correctly.

I have no idea what has caused the apparent disappearance of synaptics properties. I presume the driver does load as the touchpad works. So if anyone can give me a clue I would be very grateful.

I have tried running xorgwizard to update xorg.conf but this had no effect.

ocpaul20

#2 Post by ocpaul20 »

I have precise 571 and it does not recognise my touchpad on my laptop so a somewhat similar problem. The page on the debian wiki may be useful as it talks about the kind of probs you are having. see here. https://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad It also gives things to try which dont work for me but may do for you.

kickstart

#3 Post by kickstart »

@ ocpaul20
Thanks for the link. Have not found much there that helps unfortunately.
In my last post I said that flSynclient wasn't finding Synaptics properties in all my frugally installed Puppies but I forgot to try Fatdog64 where it works fine.

Had a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log in a couple of different frugal installs and found no record of the Synaptics driver loaded. Looking in the xorg.conf file found that the load synaptics module line was either commented out or missing. Uncommenting or inserting a Load "synaptics" line would then produce a positive report in Xorg.0.log that the Synaptics driver had loaded but flSynclient still complained of a lack of Synaptics properties.
As I'm a relative newbie and Linux non-expert so I'm starting to run out of ideas. I would love to use either X-slacko or X-precise as these are the first Linux 3 kernel distros that keep the processor cool enough to keep the fan quiet but the lack of ability to double tap pick up and drag using the touchpad means that I would have to use a mouse all the time. Without the ability to use flSynclient I am unable to reconfigure the touchpad.

The problem doesn't occur on my 10 year old Pentium 4 laptop or on the wife's netbook or my desktop and I'm sure flSynclient used to work ok on all the frugal installed Puppies on my current laptop. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what has happened. Could it be a hardware problem? But then the touchpad still actually works in every other Puppy except for the lack of full functionality in X-slacko and X-precise.

Peterm321

#4 Post by Peterm321 »

kickstart Today, at 19:15 wrote: The problem doesn't occur on my 10 year old
Pentium 4 laptop or on the wife's netbook or my desktop and I'm sure flSynclient
used to work ok on all the frugal installed Puppies on my current laptop.
I'm sorry I cant be much help, in Raring (non PAE) my touchpad worked straight out of the box. There is a commandline version, synclient, that should work even if a mis-configured Xorg. Although not as intuitive as the GUI version it might be worth a try to see if the touchpad can be seen seen by typing the below command in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

synclient -l

kickstart

#5 Post by kickstart »

Command synclient -l gives the same old story: "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"

Xorg.0.log shows that the synaptics driver does load.:-
[ 20.367] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
[ 20.369] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
[ 20.374] (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 20.374] compiled for 1.12.2, module version = 1.6.2
[ 20.374] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[ 20.374] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 16.0

And the touchpad works ok apart from double tap to drag.

I'm now scratching my head furiously!

Edit:

Just tried Slacko 5.5 PAE version. Processor runs cool but again double tap and drag don't work! Same old story with the synaptics. It seems that the newer PAE kernels keep the processor happy (2nd gen i7 Sandy Bridge in Pegatron A15 chassis) but there is some incompatibilty with the touchpad. I suppose I will have to use an older version (Racy 5.3 works pretty well) and put up with an over active processor cooling fan.

kickstart

#6 Post by kickstart »

Going back to work at sea now so I'll be off line for a couple of months.