WMA-to-mp3 conversion, is there a way in Puppy? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
april

WMA-to-mp3 conversion, is there a way in Puppy? (Solved)

#1 Post by april »

I searched the forum for a way to do this as my FFConvert says my version of FFMpeg won't do it .

All of the data I found was 6 or 7 years old

Is there an easy download of the codec or other way to convert to and from wma files please?

I would have added that the music is on external storage on a 1TB usb device and other programs do not seem to have that ripping option so I try to FFConvert
Last edited by april on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

There should be several apps in Menu -> Multimedia that can do it. If not, I've been using Pcdripper to convert whole audio CDs to mp3 for years with great success.
Pmusic would be a good place to start.

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

What Puppy are you using?
I play around with audio quite a lot but don't usually convert files, however I just tried it in Precise 5.7.1 using ffconvert and managed to convert a wma file to an mp3 fairly easily. The only strange thing was that deadbeef audio player still reports the new file as wma. Maybe it is some metadata in the original file which is not changed, but ROX indicates that the new (converted) file is mp3.

Probably always a good idea to make sure you have the latest ffconvert. I used the one in Precise but the very latest one is here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54056
Oscar in England

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

Look at VLC.
It seems to have loads of conversions in there.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

2 thoughts came to mind...

1. are they drm encoded wma?
2. the ffmpeg libraries may have to have been built with non-free codecs enabled.

if solutions are not forthcoming could a sample file or link would help...we won't tell anyone :)

mike

april

#6 Post by april »

Thank you for your kind replies .
I would have added that the music is on external storage on a 1TB usb device and other programs do not seem to have that ripping option so I try to FFConvert

I will add above to the first post
I use Puppy Precise 541
Question 1. are they drm encoded wma?---I do not know what drm is?
I will look at VLC but it does not seem to have this capability.

The FFConvert massage I get when I try is "your FFconvert is not set up to convert wma" or something like that . I figured it sounded like it just need the right codec installed and it will be able to do it.

I have found Shinobars thread and am getting the latest FFConvert
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54056
This appears to have got it working

Thanks

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Just to clarify... drm is encoding used when you buy music designed to prevent copying/conversion.

Non free means non open source codecs like wma use...which sounds like the problem you had which is now solved :)

have fun
mike