STT--Speech To Text

Using applications, configuring, problems
partsman

#61 Post by partsman »

Like i said earlier simon is in ubuntu raring 13.04 repository I curently have lubuntu 13.04 installed on my pc if i get time tonight i have been wanting to download it just to see what its all about ! i read about it on the website and downloaded the source file just to see what it would be like to try and compile . I must say its gonna take someone with alot more knowlege that me to get it working in puppy :cry: I will report on how simon works on lubuntu !
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

H4LF82

#62 Post by H4LF82 »

I cannot make heads nor tails of it TedDog. im supposed to login? that didnt work for me. let me know how it goes for you :D

Same to you partsman! let me know how that goes...

Cheers!
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

jamesbond

#63 Post by jamesbond »

Let me see what I can do. It will probably take some time. STT is one thing, making the UI to respond to the commands is another thing ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

partsman

#64 Post by partsman »

Well I installed simon in lubuntu 13.04 sad to say I cannot get it working :cry: I am hopeful that jamesbond will have better luck compiling it for puppy :wink: As I said in the past I would be glad to help in any way that I can but I am still very green :? but I would do what I can to help :D Good luck jamesbond :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

H4LF82

#65 Post by H4LF82 »

I love this place! I can hardly step away and turn around before someone else come along willing and wanting to help, and one more obstacle gets overcome. Its like one great big creative playground. :D

jamesbond, anything you can do would be terrific! Good luck and keep us posted! I will anxiously await the fruit of your efforts :)

Thank you for trying partsman! I know I have tried installing more than a dozen different "Linux" speech recognition and STT packages without much luck; to the point that Gimp no longer works, and every time I download anything these days, the browser closes upon completion of said download and the download manager opens up and begins re-downloading the file prior to the one I just downloaded, so two downloads ago in my history of downloaded files. my whole system if totally jacked and will require a complete reinstall because I have installed so much "foreign" software and dependencies it stopped being funny ages ago...

..but I just pop in the CD and it starts right up again, easy as you like. Even when it crashes, it eagerly cranks right back up like nothing ever happened. Oops! My system crashed...is that smoke? ...oh well, I cannot be bothered to fix it now...gotta go online and check the puppy forum, you know...

I am reminded of this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axC-7O4Yq-w

I used to be EXACTLY like THAT guy, except it was windows who killed my inner child.

To be honest and in all fairness, I decided I could set my prejudice against other Operating Systems aside, and I downloaded and burned a copy of Ubuntu last night after I found this article...

http://www.muktware.com/5412/how-get-pa ... ork-ubuntu

...of course today I go and find that the site seems to be down at the moment. Typical. I got 3/4 of the way through the instructions for setting it up last night before sleep took over...I still have no idea if it was successful and I wont until I have access to those instructions again...

Part of the problem I am noticing with Ubuntu, Knoppix, and other "Flavours" of Linux is that what is good for one user is not necessarily good for another, and I do not mean that in the "literal sense" you probably expect. What I mean is, Knoppix has a seemingly terrific text interface for those among us whom cannot see at all, but then what happens if my wife needs to use the computer I am using? She does not like the text user interface and prefers the GUI she knows and loves. Can the two not coexist?

It seems that maybe they can in Ubuntu, but then I am using Ubuntu! The dash thing is confusing, everything is sudo this and login as root that, the close button is on the top LEFT of windows, not top right like Ive been trained---If I switch every machine around me to Ubuntu, my family will waste countless hours every year just hunting for a little red X button so they can close windows...

We ALL love Puppy around here. My wife, kids, nieces, nephews, parents, sisters and brothers all use Puppy Linux at my suggestion. If I switch to Ubuntu or Knoppix or anything else now, that will make me a hypocrite and a liar...so I really dont even care what Ubuntu can do...it isnt Puppy.

After I get the ndiswrapper ironed out later today (thank you again smokey01!) I can begin using fatdog as my main dog--tho I believe I will do a coexist install with lucid too because I still really like lucid. I will keep trying with regard to Ubuntu, not because I think it will work for me, but because I wish to be thorough and investigate every avenue, however unlikely. Maybe the website with the instructions will come back up some day...I will keep an eye on it.

Also, because I am keeping my options open and I wish to be thorough, I will investigate (and download and burn a copy of) Knoppix, and report to all here about my experience with it as well. Again, not because I think it will work for me, but because I want to be an informed bigot. As opposed to an ignorant bigot (which nobody appreciates)!

Thank you to everyone who is lending a hand with this!

Cheers!
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

Ted Dog

#66 Post by Ted Dog »

H4LF82 wrote:I cannot make heads nor tails of it TedDog. im supposed to login? that didnt work for me. let me know how it goes for you :D

Same to you partsman! let me know how that goes...

Cheers!
Yes, that puppylinux environment for disabled starts so different and has tools already started that are not found any where else, that project is moving so fast that no real documents exist. Sorry it may be too soon for most users, but be encouraged a development along these topics has already been started and is in the fast stage of development.
Speech processing is done online with that method, reusing the remote speech processing power of googles' massive servers provides (I guess for Android, much like Apple does for Siri) That is a weakness in that you must be logged in to Google account the entire time you need speech control support.
But having that approach allows the use of very underpowered cpu's and a future one package solution of a $25 dollar ARM raspberry running puppylinux for the extreme disabled with a fat button added to its case, to control EVERYTHING.

H4LF82

#67 Post by H4LF82 »

Yeah Ted Dog, I actually popped over to that thread you mention and read a bit about what is being done---one button machines, huh? that is an insanely awesome project you guys have going on over there! It illustrates exactly what I was saying about one size fitting many...

the "One Button" Size is another big no-show so far on the linux scene, and its fashionably late like most things. Thrilled to know someone is working on that configuration, as the "one button" and "head motion control" size for paraplegics and quadriplegics is in HIGH demand these days. I cried because I had no eyes, until I met a man with no spinal cord...

Cannot WAIT to have it on a Raspberry Pi

Keep up the good work Puppies!!

Cheers!

fobos

STT for ROBOT

#68 Post by fobos »

Hi all,

I am using LUCID PUPPY as the OS for my NETBOOK based ROBOT. Have searched too and found PIROBOT that uses STT from ROS electric (Compat. UBUNTU LUCID). Unfortunately there's no apt-get for puppy and so I didn't manage to install it on puppy.

See a demo of what it can do here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ysYZUX ... e=youtu.be

H4LF82

#69 Post by H4LF82 »

thhat is great fobos. really wish I could bennefit, but as you said--it is not for ludid pupppy :(

i think it may be too latee for me though. as i cannot see well enough anymoree to take advantage..

maybe soomeone eelse wants to havve a go with it? ii am fiinisheed.. i can no longer see welll enough to manage ..

thanks anywaay..

greengeek

#70 Post by greengeek »

Hi H4LF82,

as a starting point, can I ask you if the following idea would be any use at all?

- what if a puppy could boot (ie; preconfigured to load correctly on your machine and connect to internet...) and then give you, say, four verbal choices eg:

"Speak ONE to open browser"
"Speak TWO to open dictation"
"Speak THREE to open music player"
"Speak FOUR to open PSIP puppy phone"

If the Puppy was then able to respond to the users choice of 1,2,3 or 4 and then go to a submenu, or series of submenus, would that possibly be of some use???

I am thinking of a very basic system that did not rely on high quality (or high speed) voice recognition, but rely more on step by step choices through a menu system that would probably resemble something like a phone system command prompt setup.

And do you think that a vocal service like Puppy PSIp phone (which I have not yet used...) might be of interest to users who could hear but not see?

Maybe there might even be a way to use PSIP to get a remote user to control your PC remotely (in response to your requests) in order to help locate a website etc that was too complex to drive blind. Maybe one of the keys to making puppy work for the blind is to include the human interface as well as the software.

Obviously lots of separate subsystems here that need to be made to work together. I do hope that you are coping ok with your vision loss, and that we can find a way to keep making progress with this project. Each small step will get us closer.

ps: is there any way to establish contact with you that could continue if you become unable to view the forum? Maybe send me a PM?

partsman

#71 Post by partsman »

greengeek wrote:Hi H4LF82,

as a starting point, can I ask you if the following idea would be any use at all?

- what if a puppy could boot (ie; preconfigured to load correctly on your machine and connect to internet...) and then give you, say, four verbal choices eg:

If the Puppy was then able to respond to the users choice of 1,2,3 or 4 and then go to a submenu, or series of submenus, would that possibly be of some use???
Sure sounds like it would be a step in the right direction :wink:
The more puppy users the better :wink:

ETP

#72 Post by ETP »

Good morning H4LF82,

I only stumbled across this thread for the first time last night and I am sorry to learn of your deteriorating plight. I would urge you not to despair however.

On 16th August I released Obedient Pup which although basic, does include elements of voice control. You may wish to check it out as it could be of limited use.

For an existing and far more comprehensive solution to your problem please check out this talk by Robin Christopherson AbilityNet's Head of Digital Inclusion (who is himself blind) in which he describes his use of iPhone and Siri.

http://www.abilitynet.org.uk/robinchristopherson

Also:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ouch/2012/10 ... erson.html

His solution does have a cost but I understand that Ubuntu 13.10 will include speech recognition (PocketSphinx) by default. The final is due out this month.

http://www.iloveubuntu.net/speech-recog ... 10-default

BK has included support for Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander) in Woof and we may well see a Pup based on it.
NIL DESPERANDUM. :)
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

H4LF82

seeing isnt alwyas believing

#73 Post by H4LF82 »

thank you all for your kindness and advice! rest assured that "despair" is not in my vocabbulary...but frustration most decidedly is.

i have an iphone which i hated enough to give it to my daughter after hours, not days or weeks, hours. siri can go fly a kite off a short pier. apple products are not for everyone....certainlly thet are not for me.

i have tried ubuntu. it still runs on the living room pc and my teenager loves it. stt is a non-starter on it tho...i tried for days then weeks and finally gave up on stt. i will reload puppy oon it someday . personally i hate ubuntu. stupid thing asks for a pw to log off or restart--hangs up and tiees up network resources. i am loathe for ubuntu.

knoppix is fine..but its not puppy. i am relearning how to "computer" by restarting from square one with knoppix. thanks but no thanks..i like my puppy--.

ive tried fatdog, and racy, and qiurky. too frustrating or different for me- on my older equipment without buying MORE equipment...

id be happy to try "obedient"...noone has suggested it yet. do you have a llink?

for those who would suggest that ibite the bullet and buy a stt package-
and spend some money-
this is not a new idea to me either. i bought dragon for windows back when it was a stupid amount of money (forsaking my beloved puppy to try it) and that was a big fat waste--and others i got for less $ were no better. ive spent all the money i am ever going to spend on this technology. im bro ke now and have no budget for such luxuries any longer.

a voice-over-ip is certainly an option if you want to chat with me--but there is that whoole set-up and account settings process thats tricky for me (but would not be if i had stt). someone else suggested that once...never did manage to get it set up...

ideally someone will pop up and say " here is a stt .pet for lucid. enjoy!" so i can install it myself and go on-- but failing that, im probably going to need a hand with whatever soluttion is found to allow me to stop needing a hand!

....which kind of defeats the point...at least in the short term imho..

i just hang my head and sigh....not out of despair though. its all just raw frustration. i can only assume that a stt utility for lucid is asking for slightly too much ? i figured as much and i started working on my own solution months ago...

i had a group of "hotkey" scripts i wrote custom in bash using xautomate and xte that worked okay enough for one-key-browsing and pc-control until i-dont-know-what-happened and now i get a 'segmentation fault" when i try to use xte... before the segfaults started i was making progress at least automating complex eye-intensive proccesses like account management or login info entry or browsing...

no more tho...
xte segfaults and im not sure why...if i coould fiigure it out, hotkeying is almost as good as stt, if not a bit slower and a lot moe labor intensive to set up...ideally i could associate each script with a spoken "hot word" to run custom scripts when called out verbally if i had stt ...

but i digress. anyone with insight into the segfault or especially stt is welcomed and encouraged to speak up :)

if you want to pm me you can email my username @gmail.com any ideas are welcomed and kindnesses will not go unnoticed

thank u ETP, partsman, and greengeek and everyone else for the encouragement!

Cheers!

ETP

#74 Post by ETP »

Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

H4LF82

#75 Post by H4LF82 »

sure it would be useful, but i can usually find the "4" key even on my worst day.

its things like ... the volume is a good exam-ple. for me its either muted or unmuted without the benefit of actually seeing the volume icon in the taskbar or how many yellow/red linesthere are. would be great to just say 'volume fourty percent' ahnd have it change without fumbling the icon...

or another example. when i need to configure wireless settings because im joining a new wifi network ... hearing the names of available networks would be better than thying to discern between 'dlink1' and 'dlink2' visually in 6pt font.

or changing fonts--im forever changing fonts. the xte hotkey workaround wwas terrific for that. now not so much...

its important to remember that "blind" does not always mean one cannot see-- often vision is simply 'impaired' and not exactly 'gone' like in my case. i have 20/20 vision and ii can spot a flea on a tick half a mile away, yet i am photophobic (intolerant to light) so i cannot see things like brightly lit computer screens and tv's or things in daylight. or any light much brighter than a cheap b-day cake candle

take a camera flash and stare directly into it while flashing it repeatedly every 5 seconds or so while you try to read things online for a first-hand glimpse into my world online... im typing this in a darkened room while wearing 2 pairs of dark glasses to see the screen. . what i can see, i see just fine if i can get past "the jesus light" that radiates off of it.

a phone-type menu would be a good start. its not ideal, but its something, which would be better than the nothing curreently available.

does that answer your ? greengeek?

:) Cheers!

greengeek

#76 Post by greengeek »

Yes, thanks for the reply H4LF82. I think one of the difficulties in getting a voice driven puppy working is that there are clearly many different users, many degrees of vision impairment, and many different intended actions each user wants to perform on their PC.

Much of what you described is well beyond anything I could conceive of - eg: the idea of being able to change system fonts via voice control (and without being able to see the screen) is something I can only imagine will be YEARS away. However - some of the actions a user would want to perform DO seem possible with the current technology - as long as we assemble the building blocks correctly.

I am very interested in getting basic TTS and STT working together (it would be a handy addition to the functionality in Switchpup) and if you have the time / patience to advance an STT project I would welcome your assistance in determining what types of STT are helpful and what is not.

To that end I would like to suggest a very basic project as a way of testing and assembling the building blocks: I would like to make it possible to do the following:

1) Once the Puppy has booted I want it to speak to me: eg "Would you like me to play your music collection randomly?"
2) Another module (sphinx?) would listen to my answer and probably turn it into text (could probably skip this step but I include it anyway as part of the project...)
3) Another module (Simon?) would act on that text and randomly start playing my Music folder (via Peasymp3 or similar)

In this basic project I have not even suggested ncluding any form of STT filemanager to help me hunt for the music folder - that would be an even bigger project and would be a natural follow-on if the basic project works. At first we would just rely on having the Music folder in one place and getting the basics working. Your idea of a verbally controlled volume / mute function would be a great addition too.

I think such a basic project would be a good way to get to first base. Would you be interested in helping test this sort of thing?

H4LF82

#77 Post by H4LF82 »

obedient sounds promising! ill check it out and report back. thanks again ETP
:)

H4LF82

#78 Post by H4LF82 »

I think such a basic project would be a good way to get to first base. Would you be interested in helping test this sort of thing?
in a word greengeek, yes.

please email me and ill do whatever i can!

my username @ gmail.com

cheers!

greengeek

#79 Post by greengeek »

Ok, great. I will be working in a different thread to make myself familiar with some of the available options for my STT project (There will be lots of tinkering...).

My goal is very basic -
- Make Puppy ask me a question
- Get puppy to hear my response through the mic and create a text file
- Act on the response in that text file.

my project here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89258

H4LF82

#80 Post by H4LF82 »

Awesome! Im all over that new thread!