Recovering Lost libraries.

Using applications, configuring, problems
Agnishom

Recovering Lost libraries.

#1 Post by Agnishom »

I had installed 3 dotpets to manage iPods from the forum. I thought I need to uninstall them, so I used PPM to do that and it deleted a number of my libraries and pixmaps and stuff.

Now, most of the apps using a GUI does not want to start. Many pixmaps do not show up and the desktop environment and the WM seems broken.

Is there someway to recover whatever it has deleted?

P.S: I have no complete idea of what is missing.

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi Agnishom; Usually when things go horribly wrong, it`s easiest to make a new Save file.
You can also go into /initrd/pup_rw and delete white-out files, but I can`t say how to do it.

# But you should wait for others to respond and suggest alternative methods.

1) Reboot into ram-only mode with no Save file. ( Or boot from a USB or CD )
2) Delete the problem Puppy`s Save file and reboot into the problem Puppy.
3) Do another reboot making a new Save file as Puppy shuts down.

With a fresh Save file it`s a good idea to setup Puppy how you like it.
Then make a copy of the Save file and gzip it. This isn`t perfect, but it`s better.

Agnishom

#3 Post by Agnishom »

Save file? It was a full hard drive installation

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Only thought would be to mount the original sfs from the iso and do a cp (copy) of the contents to the drive... hopefully it would restore the missing bits and not affect anything new. There is no repair install in linux land unfortunately.

Funny only yesterday I installed vlc via the puppy package manager in lucid puppy and when I chose remove it removed nothing at all so I got the opposite joke funny....

mike

Agnishom

#5 Post by Agnishom »

mikeb wrote:Only thought would be to mount the original sfs from the iso and do a cp (copy) of the contents to the drive... hopefully it would restore the missing bits and not affect anything new. There is no repair install in linux land unfortunately.

Funny only yesterday I installed vlc via the puppy package manager in lucid puppy and when I chose remove it removed nothing at all so I got the opposite joke funny....

mike
Good idea. While the live usb is booted, I could cp the files from / to /mnt/sda4.

Could you help me with the command?

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Ok well the original sfs assuming thats what you are booting live is located at /initrd/pup_ro2 . That would be the most sensible to work from since its pristine.... the installer is doing similar but screens out a couple of folders if I recall correctly such as /proc but strictly speaking that in itself should not matter.

I am thinking

cp -r -u /initrd/pup_ro2/* /mnt/sda4/

as this should only copy missing files (or newer ones but in this case that would not apply so effectively means skip.)

changing from -u to -f would force copy all files...or even no -u or -f... a last resort.

A more cautious approach would be to say try only copying /usr and so on since thats would be the most likely affected area.

eg
cp -r -u /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/* /mnt/sda4/usr/

those trailing / are needed

mike

sunburnt

#7 Post by sunburnt »

Again... Be sure to tell what Puppy version you`re useing and the install method.

Agnishom

#8 Post by Agnishom »

I'll try what mikeb has told

I'm using Lucid 528 and its a full hard drive install

Agnishom

#9 Post by Agnishom »

Thanks.

Puppy works correctly again. :) I did that cp

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Hey have we invented the repair install for linux :)

was easier than imagined...it may catch on.
Its something desktop linux lacks since its original role was in always on servers so such problems don't apply in the same way. The same with never running disk checks since the disk never got shut down.

mike

chapchap70

It just might

#11 Post by chapchap70 »

Hey mikeb,

Thanks!!!

In Fatdog 621, I installed, compiled, removed stuff, etc.

Somewhere along the way, the capture device for VLC wouldn't play. (Don't know if that is the proper term but I got errors and my video camera wouldn't turn on.) I tried a few things and eventually, my Video for Linux 2 tab (next to capture mode) disappeared.

I did this:

Code: Select all

# cp -r -u /aufs/pup_ro/* /

(Edit: My installation is to a directory; not a savefile.)

The VLC problem I had is fixed. Not only that, my TI 994A emulator opened for the first time in Wine although poorly. Before, I got a critical error. I think it had something to do with ActiveX. I'll have to see if I can play Parsec.

So far, I don't think this broke anything. I'll let you know if something that was working before stopped working.

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Oh good.

Well the -u option was the least intrusive way I could think of. The only thing you might affect is an an altered config eg the pinboard or a library update that a new app needed... but such things would soon be apparent.

regards

Mike