[Solved]Keybindings ~/.jwmrc & especially alt+F4

Using applications, configuring, problems
jtwdyp

[Solved]Keybindings ~/.jwmrc & especially alt+F4

#1 Post by jtwdyp »

I've a couple of issues with keybindings in slacko 5.6

Because I don't find pointing devices easy to use. I'm very keyboard centric. And I've got a set of keybindings that my fingers expect that rarely {if ever} match the default bindings of any Window Manager or Desktop Environment I've ever tried.

There are some keys my fingers just automatically push when I want to do certain things... Opening the desktop menu comes to mind.

Code: Select all

<Key key="Menu">root:3</Key>
Works for me. ;) As does:

<Key mask="AC" key="space">window</Key>
But for some reason This setting doesn't change the default behavior of alt+F2

<Key mask="A" key="F2">exec:gexec</Key>
But by far the biggest issue I have with it is that there are some keybindings that I need to NOT have because I frequently fat finger them them by mistake. Case in point, the keybinding for alt+F4 must die

There was an obvious keybinding in the default .jwmrc for it. I don't remember the exact code because removing that line was one of the first things I did to my .jwmrc...

For that purpose I use ctrl+alt+space to pull up the window operations menu, and then if and only if it opens attached to the window that I think has the focus {and that I want to close} I select close.

But the way alt+F4 works is a bit like wedging a live grenade behind the coffee pot {without even leaving the pin in it for safety}

It is simply too dangerous for my klutzy fingers... Especially when my fingers expect to find:

<Key mask="A" key="F3">exec:konsole</Key>
I probably only fat finger the key next to it 1 out of 3 times. Which doesn't hurt too much when alt+F2 stubbornly opens the window operations menu on whichever window happens to have the focus. But when the accidental alt+F4 suddenly slams that same window shut... Well it bugs me so much that I say alt+F4 MUST DIE...

But when removing that binding from /root/.jwmrc didn't work I tried replacing it with something else like:

<Key mask="A" key="F4">root:3</Key>
But that didn't work any better than the

<Key mask="A" key="F2">exec:gexec</Key>
did... {sigh}

How can I alter or at least disable those two stubborn keybindings?
Last edited by jtwdyp on Tue 15 Oct 2013, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

xan

Re: Keybindings ~/.jwmrc & especially alt+F4

#2 Post by xan »

jtwdyp wrote: the keybinding for alt+F4 must die
You would probably hate me. I use F4 to close windows.

I think you should be changing the bindings in:

/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
Otherwise you keep reinstating them every time regardless of what you do in the .jwmrc file.

I hope that works for you, if not then try going into
Menu > Desktop > JWM Configuation > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Something I would like to do but can't manage, I want to get the keyboard Windows context menu key to work. I think shift+F10 gives the same function but I want a single key press. Would you have any ideas?

jtwdyp

Re: Keybindings ~/.jwmrc & especially alt+F4

#3 Post by jtwdyp »

xan wrote:
jtwdyp wrote: the keybinding for alt+F4 must die
You would probably hate me. I use F4 to close windows.
No. I would just hate to have you program my keybindings :lol:
I think you should be changing the bindings in:

/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
Yup that was the problem... Thanks!
Something I would like to do but can't manage, I want to get the keyboard Windows context menu key to work. I think shift+F10 gives the same function but I want a single key press. Would you have any ideas?
Not personally. My keyboard has the "Menu" key normaly used for that, And I always remap it to open the Desktop menu system...

But I just googled around a bit and found this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/234416/h ... y-in-linux

Hope it helps!
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]