How to turn the wifi on and off in my Compaq 620 laptop?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mahaju

How to turn the wifi on and off in my Compaq 620 laptop?

#1 Post by mahaju »

I have puppy slacko non pae frugal in a bootable usb which I use to boot up the laptop, which is Compaq 620. It has a key to enable and disable the wifi. I do not know the technical name for such a key so I will try to describe what it's like. It is exactly like any other key on the keyboard, but has a small led at the corner. Normally the LED is orange, which means wifi is turned off. When Wifi is turned on, it should become blue. In Windows it turns blue as soon as I press it (wifi on), and turns to orange if I press it again (wifi off). However I never seem to be able to do it in puppy when I want to. If I just toggle on the button randomly sometimes it turns on, but then it doesn't turn off. I haven't yet understood how it is supposed to be done.

Is there any command that I can issue through the terminal, which will definitely turn it on and off (or toggle its state)?

If I go to network setup and click on test wlon0, it turns on for the duration of the test, so I am supposing this should be possible.

chapchap70

#2 Post by chapchap70 »

If your laptop works like mine, it should turn on automatically during the boot process without pressing the key. Do you have to press the wifi key to get it to work in Windows or does wifi become enabled automatically?

What happens when you try to enter your SSID and password? I find that frisbee works well in Slacko. I forget exactly what you click in the system tray but it should be easy to find. Setup networking?

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

Try in console:

Code: Select all

rfkill unblock all
After that are you able to toggle the wifi?

Usage:

Code: Select all

rfkill --help

mahaju

#4 Post by mahaju »

yes
rfkill unblock all seems to work
Thank you very much