Folding@Home 7.3.6 and Fatdog64 621 forgetting progress

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
bikefreak

Folding@Home 7.3.6 and Fatdog64 621 forgetting progress

#1 Post by bikefreak »

New Fatdog user.

I've installed FD64-621 on a jumpdrive.
using RAM and it 'writes' every half hour or when I press the button. (assumption is it writes when shutting down O/S)

I installed Folding@Home version 7.3.6 based on install directions from here: (first time for me using version 7)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84587

Problem I am having is when I reboot it forgets any progress made on my Working Units. I believe this is the case as the FAH log file starts over at 0% after a reboot.

I've moved the working directory to /root/FaH

I don't shutdown FAH before I reboot. I don't see how in the control console and never did in my previous linux OS install and never had this problem.

I'm thinking it might be a FD64 configuration I may be missing versus a configuration of FAH at this point. But don't really know where to go from here. Any thoughts?

Sunny

#2 Post by Sunny »

Welcome to the forum bikefreak. Sorry about the slow response, but I have been away for awhile.

If I understand it correctly, the FAHClient saves a checkpoint about every five minutes in the Work directory. You should see a .cpt and a prev.cpt file in there. When you power down or reboot, the Client should use the data from these files to start up where the work was interrupted.

It's possible these files have been corrupted somehow ... your log files should tell you if that was the case.

Couple of suggestions:
1) Post your log files on the Folding Forum and they may have some ideas. I have seen threads like the following where people had the same problem as you.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12422

2) This does not really sound like a problem with FD64 ... it does save your personal data to the flash when you reboot (assuming you are not just turning the power off or doing a hard reset). You could temporarily move your FAH working directory to a hard drive and see if the problem goes away. For what it's worth, my FAH v7 recovers normally after either a power down or reboot on FatDog_521.

Sunny

#3 Post by Sunny »

A couple of more ideas regarding the problem with Folding@Home forgetting progress after a reboot.

I would first check to see that you can stop and start the FAHClient during normal operation and see if it picks up where it left off. In v7, FAHClient is simply a service that is started from the /etc/init.d directory. While the FAHClient was running, I would watch the Work directory and wait for it to update the .cpt (checkpoint) file. You can then stop the Client using a "/etc/init.d/FAHClient stop" command in a terminal. A check of the log files at this point should indicate a clean shutdown.

Then restart the Client using a "/etc/init.d/FAHClient start" command in a terminal. The log files should now indicate that the Client resumed from the checkpoint.

If you can do this, then the issue with forgetting progress on reboot may have something to do with how the client is started as a service on your particular machine. It is conceivable that in your case, the service is simply getting started too soon.

One suggestion then would be to delay the start of this service in FatDog. I'm not sure how to do that, so another idea would be to disable the service in /etc/init.d and simply start FAHClient from the command line once the system has finished loading.

To disable the service in /etc/init.d .... go to that directory and type "chmod -x FAHClient". To start FAHClient from the command line, make sure you have a copy of your config.xml file in your work directory, then open a terminal from your work directory and simply type "FAHClient" and it should start up from the last checkpoint.

jpeps

#4 Post by jpeps »

Congrads Sunny on doing something useful with your computer (No 1 contributor for the puppy linux team).
Attachments
sunny.jpg
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 639 times