A simple question about Puppy's future

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mavrothal

#61 Post by mavrothal »

nubc wrote: I would very much like Puppy to provide an alternative to these behemoths.
One of the major problems of linux and desktop OSs and applications in general is that they are developed around a mouse and a keyboard.
A tablet/smartphone UI is developed around touch.
Trying to navigate the panel and the 3-level-deep menu on a 4-7 inch screen is really challenging.
This means that the entire UI and apps must be re-written accordingly.
Even then will be poor adaptations.
That's why there is Android and iOS with their ecosystem, and not meego or OSX-mobile.
I think that puppy may be out of its league on this.
Hopefully the linux community as a total will provide some viable touch-OS/UX and then puppy may try to build on that base.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jpeps

#62 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote: I would very much like Puppy to provide an alternative to these behemoths.
It already does, yet people always want more features. Money induces competition and incentive. It provides jobs. Corporations play a vital role in providing the capital for research & development. Current breakthroughs in areas like stem cells are fostered by government grants, university research departments, but ultimately require corporate interest to bring the research to fruition.

Government is arrogant too, imposes on your freedom, and takes your money with taxes (vs. placing a banner ad on your web page). Ultimately, nothing is free. (of course, when google... or most likely some 3rd party that pretends it's google...gets through my call blocker, none of this matters).

wanderer

#63 Post by wanderer »

hey

i agree with Christos Koulaxizis

i like puppy for a lot of reasons

i'm not going to switch to another distro

i'm not going to get rid of my desktop or laptop

lets start a community edition thread

and just mess with it

it doesn't matter if it goes nowhere

it will be fun just to talk about it

maybe some devs will get involved

so which of the present puppies

are we going to use as the base

please answer so i know everyone is still alive

wanderer

sunburnt

#64 Post by sunburnt »

Yes... Xerox`s invention of the mouse ( I think...) was one of the worst ever. A stupid idea.!

Puppy can become bigger and better than it`s ever been. But groups are needed to make it happen.
All the better successful distros are groups of people, not one man shows...

Only a few guys are needed to maintain a good O.S., many app builders are needed so it has a purpose.
Small and simple is beautiful. No app bloat and it`s easy to maintain. Lots of modular apps: SFS, AppDir.

wanderer

#65 Post by wanderer »

Hey everyone

we have started a thread in announcements

to make a community edition

this will give everyone a chance to come together

and continue Barry K's work

and puppy's development

please post to that thread

if you are interested in participating

or even if you just want your voice to be heard

thanks

wanderer

Hogweed

#66 Post by Hogweed »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Terryphi wrote: Meanwhile, Precise in its current state of development can be used until 2017 because Ubuntu will be updating packages until then.
It can be used forever. It's not like your Precise install is going to self-destruct in 2017.

For me, the more pertinent question is what the community will do about Precise. Will it continue to support Precise after its lead developer has ceased to be involved?
Well there's already a Upup based on Ubuntu Raring binaries. by pemasu - http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87374 - I don't know pemasu's future plans though.

Personally I first installed Lucid nearly 3 years ago, Switched to Precise during the beta phase and now have pemasu's Upup Raring on another old laptop to play with. I'm currently liking Raring so much I will switch to it as my main puppy barring any major issues (which I haven't found yet).

I have nothing against slacko just that as I started with an ubuntu based puppy, I've stuck with it.

sunburnt

#67 Post by sunburnt »

I think like Barry, I understand Ubuntu/Debian and it`s package arrangement best.
I looked at Slackware, Slax, and Porteus and I was not able to get a clear idea of the setups.
This stops doing any real work with them. I`d like to see if Slax is really better than Ubuntu.

Maybe mikeb will explain how to access the Slax packages and their management setup.

Downloading Slax. The Slax dev`s blog says he`s fed up with KDE, and he`s trashing it.
And he`s building a Debian based "Slax style" distro.!!! This will be very interesting...