Chatterbox - STT / TTS / TTA project. Part 2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
greengeek

#41 Post by greengeek »

Thanks keef!

ps: I just realised this whole project to kick off randomly playing music is only going to work if I wear headphones to isolate my microphone from the speakers. I just had Katy Perry filling up my chatdump....
:D

H4LF82

#42 Post by H4LF82 »

...this is what makes an "OFF"switch so handy. for this moment, its not a big deal because we are still working out form and function...but ultimately an off switch will be vital.

i will be using a bluetooth headset, and even this (which cannot hear its own speaker) will need a software-side mute button in addition to the actual physical hardware MUTE button on the headset itself.

that is my 2 cents...

:D
edit:

Code: Select all

amixer set Master 0 mute

amixer set Master 35 unmute
[/code]
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

greengeek

#43 Post by greengeek »

H4LF82 wrote:

amixer set Master 0 mute
amixer set Master 35 unmute
Is that muting mic only? (ie: no effect on speakers?)

so...
- mute mic
- ask question
- unmute mic
- process voice_prompt
- possibly re-mute mic
- take action
- prepare next question
- repeat process

H4LF82

#44 Post by H4LF82 »

that mutes speakers ....

look here to control others...

sh-4.1# amixer -h
Usage: amixer <options> [command]

Available options:
  -h,--help       this help
  -c,--card N     select the card
  -D,--device N   select the device, default 'default'
  -d,--debug      debug mode
  -n,--nocheck    do not perform range checking
  -v,--version    print version of this program
  -q,--quiet      be quiet
  -i,--inactive   show also inactive controls
  -a,--abstract L select abstraction level (none or basic)
  -s,--stdin      Read and execute commands from stdin sequentially

Available commands:
  scontrols       show all mixer simple controls
  scontents	  show contents of all mixer simple controls (default command)
  sset sID P      set contents for one mixer simple control
  sget sID        get contents for one mixer simple control
  controls        show all controls for given card
  contents        show contents of all controls for given card
  cset cID P      set control contents for one control
  cget cID        get control contents for one control
sh-4.1# amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Simple mixer control 'Digital',0
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
Simple mixer control 'Mux',0

so for the mic youll probably do something like

amixer set Capture 0 mute
or...

amixer set Input Source 35 unmute
and to be clear...32 is 100% volume on any control... 16 is half (50%)

35 is overkill for LOUD
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

H4LF82

#45 Post by H4LF82 »

you may also find it helpful to use the sleep/usleep command and an audible "ding.wav" to mark the "beginning" and the ""end" of the voice-prompt window, if timing or "lag" is an issu and to make no mistake that the machine is listening/stopped listening and is processing a valid input option/choking on an invalid response input.

XSE from the xdotool package would allow you to assign a "hotkey" to a specific functiom...ie..start recording imput by holding down the left shift key for 4 seconds opens the voice-prompt...but im having issue with xse and dont know another way to emulate keystrokes or assign value to them...

maybbe an if statement with some command ive yet to learn....

if RIGHT_SHIFT DOWN => 5SECONDS, run listen.sh 
sorry i cant be more help...

edit--i meant Xaut not xse or xdotool---sorry.

H4LF82

#46 Post by H4LF82 »

in a perfect world, the speech-driven puppy would have this menu at a minimum, and it would have the ability to add any other functionality that is available (as long as the user is willing to tediously speak, type, or and confirm every option for every .pet available in this "distro" and then create it as part of the vocabulary and expand menu options using speech-driven tools such as the universal installer...
main menu

desktop-

clockset
clipboard settings

system-

grub
grub4dos
pdisk
boot manager

setup-

wizard wizard

utility-

control panel
x-archive
backup
resize psfile
execute command
new function utility
vocabulary builder
universal installer

filesystem-

file manager
disk mounter/unmounter

document-

e-reader
dictator

business-

calculator

personal-

password manager
organizer
event timer

network-

firewall
networking

internet-

browser

multimedia-

music player

fun-

memory game

help -

options
x-plain (a brief audible explanation of each option above)
FAQ
info

shutdown options-

reboot
shutdown
restart
IMHO...this would allow for maximum customization without overwhelming the user right off the bat AND keeping it a small so we dont overwhelm those who have to code it right off the bat. Use lucid 5.2.8 (stripped down to the above menu options being the only options available "out of the box").

after the guts of making the voice activation play random music files gets ironed out, creating the above menu items by adding them into the vocabulary and working out the universal installer first, everything else in Lucid COULD be added or removed from the speech-driven menu by myself or anybody else regardless of their visual abilities...

if I am getting to far ahead or forgetting anything, speak up someone please!

Cheers :D

greengeek

#47 Post by greengeek »

I got the whole shebang running successfully to my satisfaction tonight - including randomplay.

I also made another version of it that does not do the randomplay thingy - it has it's own included musical interlude instead - just for the purposes of getting people to trial the "proof-of-concept":

I decided to make this version into a combined tarball of chatterbox+espeak+sphinx, all ready to go in case anyone is interested in giving it a trial. The tarball includes a howto.txt for easy manual installation as I don't know how to do a pet yet.

If anyone gives it a go (and I'm keen to hear feedback...) I recommend you try it on a live session of Lucid 528 (either liveCD / pfix=ram or rename/relocate your savefile so that it can't be found)

22MByte Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ryd27 ... ype.tar.gz
(file now updated to include libportaudio pet which some users may need to install - thanks for that info Keef)

Installation instructions
See Howto.txt file included in tarball.

Troubleshooting tips:
1) Find a quiet room for testing in.
2) Have a look in the /root/chatdump.txt file to see if any of the words you speak are being decoded (use file/reload to view latest decodes)
3) If decoding is poor or non-existent try speaking at different distances from the mic - too near or too far can cause problems depending on the mic, voice and soundcard. Try talking in an American accent. Try saying the words "beginning" or "Out house" - they seem to have good decodability. The main word we want to decode for the purposes of this trial is "music" so try saying that in a clear voice and seeing if it gets correctly decoded.
4) After booting you should hear the voice prompt, but if you don't, go to /root/startup, rightclick the openspace, select "window - terminal here") and enter the following:

#./zzzQuestionplay
(Note the dot slash)
This will start the script that triggers the voice prompt and you may see helpful errors displayed in that terminal window. Post them here if you are unable to solve the issue referred to. (ignore anything about fonts...) - (some users may also need to install the libportaudio pet contained in the tar)
5) If you need to reboot or restart xserver during your troubleshooting remove the following two files first:
/root/chatdump.txt
/root/extracted_command.txt
(doing this isn't vital but may help eliminate any odd symptoms if you can't get things going)
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 18:23, edited 6 times in total.

H4LF82

#48 Post by H4LF82 »

let me find a caffeinated beverage and I am all over it greengeek!

im excited :) ill let you know the results post haste!

Keef

#49 Post by Keef »

Works for me on Precise 571.
Espeak also needs libportaudio, but I was able to install that from my stash of assorted libraries.

H4LF82

#50 Post by H4LF82 »

im having issue---but there is no surprise there.

im starting over and retrying from pfix=ram... im positive i messed up at least twice...

bear with me. im moving like a herd of terrapins...

fleet 'o foot i am not :)

greengeek

#51 Post by greengeek »

@Keef - thanks for the libportaudio info - I have now included this pet in the tar.gz and re-uploaded the prototype.

@H4LF82 - I have added some troubleshooting info above. Hope this helps resolve the issues.

H4LF82

#52 Post by H4LF82 »

ok! obviously I am having an issue, but its not with the fotfware...its the hardware.

a word about me and hardware...i like hardware, and i really like overkill...and being an overkill-on-the-hardware kind of guy, my microphone is a home-brewed array of 8 different directional microphones. he results of me saying "music" in an American accent...

READY....
Listening...
Stopped listening, please wait...
000000000: i will will the it was in and i will to the a new
READY....
Listening...
000000001: i'll read that hold on to what what it the two
READY....
Listening...
000000002: two are all out
READY....
Listening...
000000003: you're not like on
READY....
Listening...
000000004: why
READY....
Listening...
000000005: and i don't
READY....
Listening...
000000006: yeah
READY....
Listening...
000000007: they are on the at it
READY....
Listening...
000000008: i know
READY....
Listening...
000000009: but the i have
READY....
Listening...
000000010: yeah
READY....
Listening...
000000011: all right
READY....
Listening...
000000012: that as
READY....
Listening...
000000013: yeah
READY....
I obviously need to dig out a different mic. it IS working tho...just gotta go tweak the hardware on my end. not a big deal...im a hardware guy and ive got a bag of mics and fresh solder and flux from home depot if I need to build a simple mic real quick.

:D nice job thank you! ill sort thiss mic issue out and then retry...i have every confidence it functions :)

H4LF82

#53 Post by H4LF82 »

ok ive done the install a couple of times now to make sure I get it clean from pfix=ram and loaded it as per the instructions. ive instructed everyone to leave and go to the store and im turning off all fans and other sources of noise. i have a newly built mic thats ready to go...i have only to restart the x server to begin the fun...

it will be 30 minutes for these girls to get dressed and gone, so im gonna pause for a quick sandwich and a beverage. when i get back i will restart x in a completely quiet environment with appropriate volume settings and then report on the results...

ill be back ! :D
Last edited by H4LF82 on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#54 Post by greengeek »

H4LF82 - it looks to me as if your mic is never hearing silence, or maybe there is incoming noise from more than one mic?? Maybe the gain is too loud - on one puppy I had to turn off the normal 20DB mic boost and also wind the capture vol right down. Just looks like your mic is overloaded with incoming input maybe?

If you unplug the mic dose the chatdump.txt file stay silent? (except for READY...)

Im thinking inbuilt mics might be problematic if there was a noisy HDD...

H4LF82

#55 Post by H4LF82 »

that microphone i was using is special. it cannot be counted as a typical mic..it is 8 microphones in an array. it can hear an ant tripping and if you feel like doing some math it will tell you which direction the ant tripped in and how far away it was...a fresh built puppy running in RAM for the first time cannot cope with it, i have no doubt.

I now have a desk mic with a new cord; so no more overload.

no worries...nd yes with no mic it does stay silent (READY..... is all there is with no mic)

Ted Dog

#56 Post by Ted Dog »

H4LF82 wrote:that microphone i was using is special. it cannot be counted as a typical mic..it is 8 microphones in an array. it can hear an ant tripping and if you feel like doing some math it will tell you which direction the ant tripped in and how far away it was...a fresh built puppy running in RAM for the first time cannot cope with it, i have no doubt.

I now have a desk mic with a new cord; so no more overload.

no worries...nd yes with no mic it does stay silent (READY..... is all there is with no mic)
That actually sounds cool, like the auditory awareness methods used in pilots helmets. Your ears can 'see' almost 360x360 when your eyes are looking forward, a missle or enemy plane(s) can be heard in your minds eye, with audio phase changes and microseconds delays.
It's very amazing how well the ears can intercept sound and paint a picture of the environment.

H4LF82

#57 Post by H4LF82 »

READY....
Listening...
000000000: music
READY....
Listening...
000000001: music
READY....
Listening...
000000002: music
READY....
the "music" was funny! i can indeed confirm that it works!

nice job greengeek!

H4LF82

#58 Post by H4LF82 »

That actually sounds cool, like the auditory awareness methods used in pilots helmets. Your ears can 'see' almost 360x360 when your eyes are looking forward, a missle or enemy plane(s) can be heard in your minds eye, with audio phase changes and microseconds delays.
It's very amazing how well the ears can intercept sound and paint a picture of the environment.
the build used to be here...

http://hackaday.com/2010/09/22/build-a- ... icrophone/

...but like all cool things, hackaday has succumbed to the evil consumerism monster and is happy to throw the occasional ad at you and unhappy to mirrir the projects that make them what they used to be.

my mic is like that one only mine has left and right channels for each point in the geometry...so where this one has 4 mics...mine has 8. The plan is to get it mounted to my RV underneath so i can hear the goings on outside as if the walls were not padded with insulative foam, sound-dampening board and half inch cedar. I can hear everything going on outside and nobody outside can hear what happens inside.

:D it is cool...

Ted Dog

#59 Post by Ted Dog »

H4LF82 wrote:
the build used to be here...

http://hackaday.com/2010/09/22/build-a- ... icrophone/

...but like all cool things, hackaday has succumbed to the evil consumerism monster and is happy to throw the occasional ad at you and unhappy to mirrir the projects that make them what they used to be.

my mic is like that one only mine has left and right channels for each point in the geometry...so where this one has 4 mics...mine has 8. The plan is to get it mounted to my RV underneath so i can hear the goings on outside as if the walls were not padded with insulative foam, sound-dampening board and half inch cedar. I can hear everything going on outside and nobody outside can hear what happens inside.

:D it is cool...
Your RV must weigh a ton! but if you use your RV like me, it does not go much of anywhere, but provide a rolling man-cave parked on my get-a-way from the family,to undeveloped land. (posting from there now, great day in Texas, no A/C or heat needed.

H4LF82

#60 Post by H4LF82 »

okay, so correct me if I am wrong, but as i understand it, the point of this exercise was to make the "music" play by saying "music", and that is a done deal now, right?

so now should we go on to step 3, which I assume entails adding other command words (like "shutdown" and "restart") and adding those functionalities too?

if that is correct, can someone please confirm this for me?

Cheers! :D