Thank You Barry

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
BuddhaDog

Thank You Barry

#1 Post by BuddhaDog »

I just want to say thank you Barry for all of your hard work, and for bringing Puppy Linux to the world at large. Puppy has provided me with countless hours of fun. It has also rescued machines well past their prime. I have used it to partition hard drives, fix Windows and save files. Much gratitude. :)

On a sad note, I finally had to retire my old PowerEdge 2300 server (with SCSI drives). Puppy allowed me to keep it running for a long time.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Barry's done a lot of good stuff for sure :)

May I ask what earned the server its retirement...?

BuddhaDog

#3 Post by BuddhaDog »

Sure, in a word: wife :lol: I built a new computer and something had to go (I didn't want it to be me).

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

That makes sense... :lol:

jpeps

#5 Post by jpeps »

BuddhaDog wrote:Sure, in a word: wife :lol: I built a new computer and something had to go (I didn't want it to be me).
If everyone followed the directives of their spouses (or significant others), there wouldn't be any linux development. Rule of thumb: you're only required to listen.

BuddhaDog

#6 Post by BuddhaDog »

@Jpeps: Don't encourage me, I'm in trouble enough of the time as it is! Actually, I kind of agreed with her (a little bit) on this one. There is a recycling drop off near my house that disassembles computers in an environmentally responsible way so they don't end up in a toxic garbage heap somewhere. I was running out of room for all of my computers. I built really nice one with 4 320G hard drives so I was willing to compromise.

jpeps

#7 Post by jpeps »

BuddhaDog wrote: I was running out of room for all of my computers. I built really nice one with 4 320G hard drives so I was willing to compromise.
I have a real nice 20" ADI Microscan CRT that would work nicely with it. I'd be willing to let it go.
Attachments
ADI.png
(67.57 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

PeterNoTail

#8 Post by PeterNoTail »

My thanks as well.
I'd been afraid, but also curious, about Linux for a while. The sheer awfulness of Windows8 made me finally decide that i've had enough of the MS OS. I was raised around computers, but was a complete Linux noob. So when an old(er) laptop fell into my hands, i figured now was the time to try learning Linux.

Thought about ordering books to help but eventually concluded that just jumping right in would be the best approach for me. I read around a bit & found nothing but glowing reviews of Puppy (& DSL) and its ease of use (not DSL), so Puppy would be the one I would try.
It worked great & my old Pentium-M laptop was given a 2nd life as a Puppy-only machine.

epilogue: since that time long, loooooooong ago (about 2weeks), i've moved on to installing a higher-powered Linux distro (did i say that right?) on my main laptop & have gone Linux-only, even giving out Linux laptops to family, and i still keep a live CD of Puppy Linux as a backup. Puppy Linux is just small & Amazing.