Pupgets and Puppy 1.0.4

Using applications, configuring, problems
Walt H

Pupgets and Puppy 1.0.4

#1 Post by Walt H »

As a regular reader of these forums, I've seen the vast number of applications made available to Puppy users through the hard work of a handful of volunteers. This maybe a stupid question, but will pupgets and dotpups created in the past work in the latest Puppy? Is there any testing mechanism to learn that or am I worrying too much? Just wondering as I am thinking about giving a few of those additions a test spin (specifically IceWM and Opera). Thanks.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that the only way to find out for sure is download one and try it. :)

As I understand it, a properly done DotPup is contained within a single directory, so that if it doesn't work it is easily removed. Also, even if it doesn't work it is unlikely to permanently mess up anything else. I think.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

it depends
on a lot of things

Icewm will probably work on any Puppy

Opera will probably work ok ... i have Opera 8 installed ... i think Opera needs motif libraries for the plugins

the dotpup handler is not installed on some older versions of Puppy, but it should work if it's installed

dotpups that write to /usr won't work on older Puppy's that don't have unionfs, but i made a number of dotpups that would install in my-applications if /usr wasn't writable

Walt H

#4 Post by Walt H »

Thanks. It at least sounds like most of the pupgets written since, say Puppy 1.0.1, will work in 1.0.4.

GuestToo, you're right about Opera needing Motif libraries for plugins. I installed it in Xandros and ran into the same situation. Are those libraies easily installed into Puppy?
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

#5 Post by Guest »

i think the lesstif library files will work
http://www.lesstif.org/

you can download the latest rpm here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... up_id=8596
lesstif-0.94.4-1.i586.rpm is the latest now

extract the files using unrpm
copy libXm.so.2.0.1 and the 2 symlinks libXm.so and libXm.so.2 to a library folder (for Puppy, you can copy them to my-applications/lib/ )

and your Opera plugins should work

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

The Opera pupget package includes motif1 library, so that the flash plugin will work.