There should be Interface for 3G dongles to read/write SMSs?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Krishnamurti Naskar

There should be Interface for 3G dongles to read/write SMSs?

#1 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

I am using Saluki(now defunct)+Slacko+Macpup(improving day by day) for many months now and i happily use 3 different 3G dongles in these puplets. And @this point of time,i feel that there should be a common interface for 3G dongles to read/write SMSs?Isn't it sumthing that we need? in next puppy release?
It'll surely take Puppy to a better next level in Desktop Computing.
NB:I posted it somewhere else like a stupid some day ago. :wink:

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

It's a good idea, BUT...

...it has to be supported by the mobile phone companies. They are the ones who supply the dongles (FWIW, most of the ones on eBay originally came from a mobile phone company). They are the ones who control what you can and cannot do with those dongles.

If you want a 3g dongle to have SMS capability, and your mobile phone company (or companies, as often is the case) does not support it, then you are out of luck.

By the way, at least in the US, 4g is mostly here. I have a 3g dongle I'm trying to *give away* on another forum and nobody wants it...

Krishnamurti Naskar

#3 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

Hi starhawk...

I don't agree with U!BCoz when we connect a modem to a box,it IS a phone itself without a Display & Battery.So why does this "support from company" thing arise?

example:i buy a SIM and use it in a IPhone and do all the texting job.
then i open the iphone and use that very same SIM in Motorola and do the same job.
The protocol is the same for all phone.So why the hell the network operators would think of "support"ing?
the scene is the same for Dongles,i guess.
So why not a general interface? as long as the dongle is recognised.....

So starhawk,whaddoya think?

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

If your are capable of programming something like network-manager : go for it !

Of course there is a base standard of AT commands but may differ each modem.
That would need some kind of database for different modems .

SMS AT-commands might be 90% same everywhere though .

The /usr/sbin/chat binary is probably capable of sending these AT commands and direct the received output from the SIM to a simple text file at least from a shell script .

kooliepup

#5 Post by kooliepup »

To get SMS on computer, your ISP has to be happy to support it.
It is not the same as using a phone, even 'tho they use the same system.
Your 3G data plan is just that, data. Your phone is phone and data.
To get SMS on computer, your ISP has to allocate an additional 'phone number' for the SMS access, and that is the number that people use to text you.
Some will do it, some won't. Some do it automatically, some don't.
It usually doesn't cost any more, if they will do it.

It's the same with {real} VOIP, as opposed to SIP Phone, altho VOIP uses the SIP server. Your ISP has to support it.

My ISP charges $5 p.m. for the VOIP, but they give $10 of call credit.

smokey01

#6 Post by smokey01 »

kooliepup for VOIP, voipbuster is worth considering.

http://www.voipbuster.com

kooliepup

#7 Post by kooliepup »

Hi,
Yes, I looked at Voipbuster, but it didn't appear to give me what I was wanting.

I have no ADSL or PSTN line these days. My only phone was Mobile, and my internet is 3G, and after extensive research, decided to go with my ISP's VOIP service, as to me, it seemed the only way to get what I wanted.

I was already using a router similar to Fritz Box for my wireless network and 3G (dongle) Internet, and it has a VOIP port, which I have plugged a cordless PSTN phone into.
I use it like a normal POTS, no dialling special access numbers or anything, and the computer doesn't have to be running, just the router.

When I applied for the service, my ISP wanted the phone number of my Mobile or landline to associate it with, and their online application is set up with only those 2 options.
When I contacted them and explained that I wanted it associated with my 3G dongle, they were happy to do it that way, and allocated a phone number to it. I even got a choice of which Capital City or local phone number.

It all works perfectly.

There are also routers available that use a SIM card instead of a dongle.

There is a new 3-4-5G dongle winging its way to me.
I don't mind keeping ahead of the game.

Adagio

#8 Post by Adagio »

I just stumbled on this today and decided to try it out.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dongler/
Dongler provides a simple graphical application for sending and receiving text(sms) messages in Linux, using a huawei dongle. Written in python, dongler requires Pyhumod and a few other commonly installed libraries. Tested on the Huawei E220, running Pup
I am able to get it up in Slacko 531, but can't do anyhting with it.
It looks really good, and I would like to be able to use it.
Not knowing anything about Python I am stalled.

I would like to use it in UPup Raring or Slacko, if anyone would like to get it running.
Attachments
dongler-mashup.jpg
(127.79 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times
dongler-1.2.1.tar.gz
(60.7 KiB) Downloaded 389 times