puppy linux for smartphones

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
shoutcrown

#1 Post by shoutcrown »

hello

sorry if this is a kind weird, but I would like to know if it is possible to install puppy linux on motorola razr d1 xt914 (cpu arm cortex a9 1ghz, 1gb ram, etc.), because puppy linux is very light mini distro

thanks for your answers

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

The short answer at this time, unfortunately, is a very emphatic "No".

Read up on the differences between x86 and ARM architectures on Wiki to get a good idea of why this is not possible. Also, learning the difference between the CPU-Chipset (usually Northbridge/Southbridge) style of construction vs. the System-On-Chip (SoC) style of doing things.

There *are* two builds of ARM compatible Puppies, but neither will help at this time. One is PupPi which is specifically for the Raspberry Pi and my understanding is that it only works with that one computer -- and then only if one is sufficiently skilled and devout ;) The other is FatDogARM which at present AFAIK only works with devices using the Allwinner A10 ARM SoC. FatDogARM is also in Alpha (pre-Beta) status and is to my knowledge not stable enough for everyday use.

Even supposing you did put Puppy on there, you probably would not be able to use your phone as a phone any more -- the drivers for that kind of hardware really don't exist for Linux yet. So you'd have a Puppy computer with an awfully tiny touchscreen -- and that supposes that the touchscreen hardware is something with driver support! (For the record, Android drivers do NOT work in Linux at all... 100% incompatible AFAIK. So you can't just "steal" drivers from what's already there...)

shoutcrown

#3 Post by shoutcrown »

hi

thanks starhawk, I appreciate your honesty. Then I suppose there is no other mini distro which can be installed on this phone.

by the way, do you know a best way to root this phone? (I read that root a phone has many advantages) I found some tools like Romaster (chinesse program), and Framaroot, but they didnt work. Maybe in linux there is a better way to do this

thanks man, bye

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Find your phone on the http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php site. There will be instructions there.

shoutcrown

#5 Post by shoutcrown »

thanks dancytron

i have been searching on that site, but just there are other motorola phones

bye.