How to switch kernels between Puppy versions

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mercedes350se

#81 Post by Mercedes350se »

James C wrote:I went ahead and uploaded pup 301-k-2.6.25.16.iso .......if interested I'll supply the link.
Yes please.

James C

#82 Post by James C »

Mercedes350se wrote:
James C wrote:I went ahead and uploaded pup 301-k-2.6.25.16.iso .......if interested I'll supply the link.
Yes please.
http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/vintage/ ... .25.16.iso

http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/vintage/ ... 5.16%20md5

As I noted, Pmount doesn't work and I honestly didn't try to fix it. Everything else appeared fine in some quick testing.

Mercedes350se

#83 Post by Mercedes350se »

James C wrote:EDIT:
Almost forgot...... while the sfs is unsquashed edit /etc/puppyversion/ to "412" instead of "301". This version shows as 412 but its still 301 just with the newer kernel..... posting from it now.
For the sake of discussion, "What is in the puppyversion file for 3.01retro - is it 301 or 301retro or ... ?"

Thank you for the upload info.

nic007

#84 Post by nic007 »

nic007 wrote:Okay. Switched the puppy 5390 kernel to puppy 412 and then converted to 4sfs. Everything works fine except for the timezone, date and time. Wouldn't accept/save the customized correct settings, keep on changing after every reboot. Any ideas to fix it? Settings appear to be incorrect in the base file.

Still looking for an answer to this. If I change the timezone at bootup the screen flickers and the correct time appears. Is there a script that can run at start-up to set the clock correct automatically? I'm at GMT +2. Thanks
Someone?

mikeb

#85 Post by mikeb »

Ok no idea nic007... all I have is that in puppy 4 I have /etc/localtime as a symlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT-0
in puppy 2 its
/usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT-0
gmt0 made the clock behave for me ...the path would be set by the version of???????? note the etc

might give a clue

mike

Pelo

Polarpup now rides a Racy 5.3

#86 Post by Pelo »

Polarpup now rides a Racy 5.3
Wireless, sound, QT all good, nothing bad.
video of how-to
Attachments
kernel.jpg
(63.33 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 07 May 2014, 21:01, edited 3 times in total.

Wognath

#87 Post by Wognath »

I couldn't resist any longer and tried jrb's kernel transplant method on pup-431bcm4312v3, which is approaching its 4th anniversary on my Lenovo S12. All goes well except that if I keep the savefile by renaming pupsave.2fs to warysave.2fs, I can't establish a wireless connection (Failed command: ifconfig wlan0 up). Wary and hybrid with no savefile connect immediately using b43. 431 used wl. In the end, I started over with a new savefile, which was probably a good thing anyway, and have had no further problems.

Can someone explain how something in my savefile would prevent the drivers in the new kernel from working properly?

P.S. The reason for kernel change was lack of a driver for my particular SD card reader in the 2.6.30.5 kernel; also gained the ability to mount late-model sfs files.

mikeb

#88 Post by mikeb »

And patching the kernel caused indigestion :)

wl does not work so well in later kernels plus ssb may interfere as that's needed for usb1

b43 does work better in the later kernels anyway.

so your old wl config in the save would force a driver that would not work or may be absent.

mike

Wognath

#89 Post by Wognath »

mikeb,
patching the kernel caused indigestion
Yeah, I forgot to mention my indigestion
All the later pups connect my broadcom wireless with b43, but jrb used wl in his custom 431. wl is not in the wary kernel. So where in the savefile is the wl module specified? I tried deleting the /etc/network-wizard folder. When I run the wizard and load b43, why doesn't that override whatever is in the savefile?

mikeb

#90 Post by mikeb »

Hmm probably a black list of ssb which rerunning the network wizard would not alter....or perhaps wl is still loading.
all that comes to mind...the wl pets did make a couple of changes.

mike

peebee

#91 Post by peebee »

Wognath wrote: wl is not in the wary kernel.
Don't know if it helps - but wl is available for Wary5.5 at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#609360

wl works fine for all latest Puppies and latest kernels up to and including 3.10....for me
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Wognath

#92 Post by Wognath »

@mikeb,
I've tried a few more things with this, and I'm none the wiser. ssb is not blacklisted. I have removed from the old savefile everything that I thought related to networking, but I still get

Code: Select all

failed to raise interface wlan0
failed command was : ifconfig wlan0 up
Error returned was ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS:  No such file or directory
@peebee
Thanks. I found your awesome collection of wl pets and used several while I was fooling around with different kernels. My wireless connects with b43 in later kernels, but apparently something in the original 431 savefile is interfering, whether b43 or wl.

Ok, back to making tamales :P

peebee

#93 Post by peebee »

Wognath wrote: but I still get

failed to raise interface wlan0
failed command was : ifconfig wlan0 up
Error returned was ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS:  No such file or directory
Hi Wognath

That error usually means firmware can't be found - and the firmware loading mechanism did change between Puppy editions and kernels - if you look in dmesg there may be missing firmware error messages?

You will need to make sure that the firmware is present and is located in the correct place.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mikeb

#94 Post by mikeb »

With kernel changes come mysteries beyond our comprehension.... saying from ancient greece....

mike

Wognath

#95 Post by Wognath »

the firmware loading mechanism did change between Puppy editions and kernels - if you look in dmesg there may be missing firmware error messages?
peebee, you hit the nail on the head. dmesg output includes

b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode15.fw" not found
In Wary, this file is in /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43/lib/firmware/b43. Creating a symlink to that folder in /lib/firmware solves the problem and allows wireless to connect! I still don't understand what it is about the savefile that causes puppy to look in the wrong place...
With kernel changes come mysteries beyond our comprehension
Thanks to both of you for the help.

Pelo

SFS load on the fly

#96 Post by Pelo »

"But as the poster has pointed out, there are major differences between puppy series 3 and 4 so will be very surprised if the kernel switch will work in this instance. Why don't you try switching puppy 412 kernel with something later like a Wary Puppy?"
At home, the process fails with puppies series 3 and 4
I use SFS load on the fly , and load the SFS of the old Puppy, all the applications become available inside the installed recent Puppy.
Is that forbidden ?
What does 'underdog' mean in Boot options (PF3) ? is it similar as load on the fly ?

Mercedes350se

#97 Post by Mercedes350se »

I finally downloaded James C's .iso (link on the previous page) and burnt it to CD. It seems to work well - I haven't spent a lot of time on it though - it is very cold here in the control room!

Mark_C

#98 Post by Mark_C »

I wanted to use lxpup14 but its kernel is to old to work for my network card.
So I used unicornpup which does work with my network card and followed the directions in the first post.
Everything was looking good on boot until it tried to start x which it couldn't do, I ran xorgwizard and it finds the right resolution but x still doesn't start.

Now both lxpup 14 and unicornpup boot no problem and x starts without a problem in their original form.
I even tried deleting etc/x11 and replacing it with the one from unicorn but still x doesn't start.
Hoping someone has an idea what the problem could be.

Mark

mikeb

#99 Post by mikeb »

Well not sure how matched xorg and the kernel need to be when kernel mode setting is used. Intel video?

What network card.... ? Might be a driver built for the older kernel around. mountains and Mohammad stuff...

mike

peebee

#100 Post by peebee »

Mark_C wrote:I wanted to use lxpup14 but its kernel is to old to work for my network card.
So I used unicornpup which does work with my network card and followed the directions in the first post.
Everything was looking good on boot until it tried to start x which it couldn't do, I ran xorgwizard and it finds the right resolution but x still doesn't start.

Now both lxpup 14 and unicornpup boot no problem and x starts without a problem in their original form.
I even tried deleting etc/x11 and replacing it with the one from unicorn but still x doesn't start.
Hoping someone has an idea what the problem could be.

Mark
Maybe try LxPupUnicorn15.02:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-unicorn.html