move buttons in JWM ?

Booting, installing, newbie
ronacc

move buttons in JWM ?

#1 Post by ronacc »

is it possible to move the close/minimize/maximize buttons in JWM like it is in KDE or Gnome ? I like my close button top left like on the Amiga , it keeps me from clumsily closing a window I intended to minimise.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i don't know, but you can with Icewm ... i prefer the window buttons on the left too ... my Icewm package has some themes with the buttons on the left, MU's UltraIcewm package probably does too

ronacc

#3 Post by ronacc »

I tried ultra icewm and didn't see any themes with the buttons other than the menu button on the left. Ill try your version , how do you tell icewm where to put the buttons , if I can find the cofig file for that I,ll move them myself.I poked around in all the ice config files I could find and didn't see anything to move the buttons.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

my "G2-aqua" theme has the buttons on the left

if you look in the file /root/.icewm/themes/G2-Aqua/default.theme it has these lines:

TitleButtonsLeft="xmir"
TitleButtonsRight="s"
TitleButtonsSupported="xrmis"

this puts the close, Maximize, mInimize, and Rollup buttons on the left, and the System menu button on the right

this will put the buttons on the right:

TitleButtonsLeft="s"
TitleButtonsRight="xmir"

most of these options can be put in preferences, or in prefoverride if you want to force that preference

and most of the options in preferences can be put in a theme file

http://www.icewm.org/
http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/
http://www.icewm.org/manual/

ronacc

#5 Post by ronacc »

thanks that gives me the info I need , I'll play around with now that I know the syntax for positioning the buttons . I had searched around in the manual but had looked for "gadgets " and "widgets" but not "buttons" silly me.

ronacc

#6 Post by ronacc »

Yep that was the info I needed , put the buttons just where I wanted them
TitleButtonsLeft="x"
TitleButtonsRight="smi"
TitleButtonsSupported="xmis"

note I dumped the r I dont like rollup and I'll probably dump the s I never use it and I put it in profoverride to make it universal, that close on left is sine qua non for me ;)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

you can get a menu by right clicking the title bar or the task bar window button anyway (or press alt+space) ... and rollup is in the menu if you need it (or press alt+F12)

you get a different menu if you right click the task bar

Icewm is very customizable

press crtl+alt+space for a terminal box
press ctrl+alt+esc for a window list
press ctrl+esc for the menu
press the Win key for the menu