Trash and Mounted Disk Icons Missing On XFCE 4.8/10 Desktop

Booting, installing, newbie
jimwg

Trash and Mounted Disk Icons Missing On XFCE 4.8/10 Desktop

#1 Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

My trash basket icon hasn't appeared on my XFEC 4.8/10 (because though the XFCE info box says its 4.10, the XFCE files in Puppy Package Manager say they're all 4.8.) Puppy Precise Retro 5.7.1 32bit desktop since I installed it. Is this the default? Also I can't get any other mounted disk icons to appear either.

Any assistance most welcome!

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Ok the icons and trash of puppy itself are tied into using rox as the desktop.

The xfce volume management would need daemon(s) that puppy does not have.

This might interest you http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 69&t=78881
Use it myself and its definately not 'horrible' and is window manager independant

mike

jimwg

#3 Post by jimwg »

mikeb wrote:Ok the icons and trash of puppy itself are tied into using rox as the desktop.

The xfce volume management would need daemon(s) that puppy does not have.

This might interest you http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 69&t=78881
Use it myself and its definately not 'horrible' and is window manager independant

mike
Unfortunately doesn't seem to work on my system :(. I'm willing to try the long and tedious command line hacker way get icon and functions back!

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Bum.... thats a shame ... I have them working on Lucid though it was a slightly older release. Who knows the wonders that await with precise.....

Unfortunately I have no other suggestions for either problem with your config.

mike

sheldonisaac

Re: Trash and Mounted Disk Icons Missing On XFCE 4.8/10 Desktop

#5 Post by sheldonisaac »

jimwg wrote:My trash basket icon hasn't appeared on my XFEC 4.8/10 (because though the XFCE info box says its 4.10, the XFCE files in Puppy Package Manager say they're all 4.8.) Puppy Precise Retro 5.7.1 32bit desktop since I installed it. Is this the default? Also I can't get any other mounted disk icons to appear either.

Jim in NYC
I'm in "frugal" Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-005, though I can try to boot Precise; not familiar with Precise.

Could you boot Precise. and _not_ use the save file?
That is, boot it with a kernel line including pfix=ram

See whether that results in the trash basket icon reappearing.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Aboard 5.7.1, I can attest this works fine for the trash bit. Drive icons are another matter..

jimwg

#7 Post by jimwg »

mikeb wrote:Bum.... thats a shame ... I have them working on Lucid though it was a slightly older release. Who knows the wonders that await with precise.....

Unfortunately I have no other suggestions for either problem with your config.

mike
I'm going to give it another go in case I missed something or did something wrong. Just a newbie!

Jim in NYC

jimwg

Re: Trash and Mounted Disk Icons Missing On XFCE 4.8/10 Desktop

#8 Post by jimwg »

sheldonisaac wrote:
jimwg wrote:My trash basket icon hasn't appeared on my XFEC 4.8/10 (because though the XFCE info box says its 4.10, the XFCE files in Puppy Package Manager say they're all 4.8.) Puppy Precise Retro 5.7.1 32bit desktop since I installed it. Is this the default? Also I can't get any other mounted disk icons to appear either.

Jim in NYC
I'm in "frugal" Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-005, though I can try to boot Precise; not familiar with Precise.

Could you boot Precise. and _not_ use the save file?
That is, boot it with a kernel line including pfix=ram

See whether that results in the trash basket icon reappearing.
Took some research what you were referring to but I finally wisened up how to do the puppy pfix=ram thing and got the original virgin Puppy page which displays trash and mounted drive icons and the works. Now if if I can only get my normal Puppy install to display the same things! :(

Jim in NYC

jimwg

#9 Post by jimwg »

Semme wrote:Aboard 5.7.1, I can attest this works fine for the trash bit. Drive icons are another matter..
Thanks a trillion for that delete files backup! Now onwards to fix my desktop trash can (and movable drive) icons back! Thanks!

Jim in NYC

jimwg

#10 Post by jimwg »

I'm a newbie shooting in the dark but might this have anything to do with it?

When I log in I'm given a panel choice to select a Xfce session or quit and go on to a JWM session which has all normal fully functioning icons including trash and mounted drives. (FYI in case, I have Swapicons installed my JWM side). When I log into Xfce session instead I'm missing all icons except Home and System. My Swapicon install is set so that if I mouse cursor to a "hot" corner it switches to a JWM screen that is completely nonfunctional except for panel menus,and mousing to the corner gets me back the working Xfce screen. Could it be that the JWM screen "steals" trash and mounted drive icons from Xfce mode from the start? Just a newbie wondering! This issue even baffles the generous Mint guy who found me a way to have different desktop backgrounds for each different desktop here!

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

As mentioned Rox (the file manager) handles desktop icons in its own unique way and the backend scripts only work with that.
Options are to kill the xfdesktop of xfce4 or come up with a way of displaying the wanted icons on more standard desktops.

mike

jimwg

#12 Post by jimwg »

mikeb wrote:As mentioned Rox (the file manager) handles desktop icons in its own unique way and the backend scripts only work with that.
Options are to kill the xfdesktop of xfce4 or come up with a way of displaying the wanted icons on more standard desktops.

mike
Got you. So maybe I can fix this step by step. Would you know the simplest or most common break that would keep trash (or mounted drive) icons appearing on a Xfce desktop? (FYI if I try to access root via Thundar, Thundar balks that .trash is missing). If it doesn't work or apply I can proceed from there. Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Well the trash complaint almost sounds like a bad file handle .....
have you tried pleasing it by touch /root/.trash ? Or mkdir /root/.trash
Or an fsck on the save file? Can rox access /root?

This is a little odd as on xfce4 here trash is located in /root/.local/share/Trash/ but mine will be an older version.

mike

jimwg

#14 Post by jimwg »

Okay, if I do the ifix=ram thing I get the original pure Puppy desktop and all its icons and trash icons are intact. When I run in JWM mode I have a healthy trash icon. It's Xfce that doesn't recreate a desktop trash icon even though I've moved folders on the desktop as people recommended. Some suggest that drag /root/.local/share/Trash to the desktop as /root/Desktop/Trash but that looks like it just creates a standard folder not a trash can icon and how do I know whether by moving it so kills its property as a real trash icon? Or is it safer to create a link icon from /root/.local/share/Trash to the desktop so I don't screw up any sensitive configurations? I have no running samples of a proper "directory structure" to go by to see what trash/desktop icons or files are supposed to be where and what shouldn't. Or maybe more fundamental, can JWM and Xfce coexist with both having normal trash icons/folders or does JWM somehow inhibit Xfce from having such?

Any hints much appreciated!

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

jwm does not have a trash can

The thing you see is a rox app in /usr/local/apps

thats about all I have got....
note the pristine file system can be found in /initrd/pup_ro2/

mike

jimwg

#16 Post by jimwg »

mikeb wrote:jwm does not have a trash can

The thing you see is a rox app in /usr/local/apps

thats about all I have got....
note the pristine file system can be found in /initrd/pup_ro2/

mike
You always make good hints!

I was thinking of just reinstalling a flash drive with Puppy 5.7.1 then XFCE 4.0 from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84637 and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/929 ... recise.pet over it and transfer my original Documents file into it to see whether the trash icons (and maybe anything else missing too) return. Would this be a good idea or wasting time? Thanks.

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Hard to say...I trashed the puppy trash can many years ago :D ..I can honestly say I never ever put anything in it.

one of those suck it and see moments.

mike