Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 - wlan0 fails after being perfect before

Please post any bugs you have found
joaomcteixeira

Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 - wlan0 fails after being perfect before

#1 Post by joaomcteixeira »

I there,

I have recently prepared a Puppy Raring USB with a .2fs file so that I could go around several computers with Puppy along :-) (specially switching from work to home).

I have to say, amazing performance of Puppy Raring! I am really amazed!

However, yesterday a "bug" came along. In my laptop at home I use wireless (wlan0) while in the work (a tower PC) I use the eth0 cable. During some days I could switch from one computer to another without any problem. But yesterday after work, when at home, my puppy would not connect to my wifi, despite that it could see the available networks. I tried puppy without the .2fs session and it work perfectly. So I think the problem is in the .2fs file that somehow got some misconfiguration during the working session.

What can I do so that you to help me out with this?

thank you!

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Save files contain specific configuration settings, based on the computer being used, when the save file was made. If you use it on another computer and change something, you have now set it to the configuration settings of that computer.
This is a very gray area for what will happen.
depends on what you are doing, difference between computers, and how the save file gets changed during normal operation.

If you want to use the USB Puppy install on different computers, it is best to make a save file specific to each computer. You can have multiple save files.
When you boot, if it finds more than one save file, you will be given option to choose which one to use.

It looks to me like the network connection got set to auto connect, at boot, to eth0 cable connect.
Have you tried to reconfigure, the network connection to use wireless wlan0 setup, with the Network Wizard?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

joaomcteixeira

#3 Post by joaomcteixeira »

Hi bigpup,

I understand your point, but what I would like is to have a single .2fs file which I could configure with my "style", app settings and files I need and then go around with it in several computers. I think that is the real power of Puppy Linux :twisted:

I guess in my case it is some kind of bug, because I have it some times in this way without any problem switching from eth0 to wlan0 on different computers..

I have used the Network manager to try reconnect to wlan0, everything goes normal, I can see the available wifi networks and try to connect like everything is fine, but then when trying to connect to the WPA protected network it simply can't, where before it could. :roll:

I will retry it again in the following days to see if the bug simply flies away :P but I am not sure.

Nevertheless, I guess it would be a great improvement in next Puppy version to make it more robust in handling different computers with the same .2fs. Although Puppy is already so amazing! :twisted:

If you have any other clue of some commands I can run to give you more information about it I so we can try to spot the problem I will be glad.

Have a nice day,
joao

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

I have used the Network manager to try reconnect to wlan0, everything goes normal, I can see the available wifi networks and try to connect like everything is fine, but then when trying to connect to the WPA protected network it simply can't, where before it could. Rolling Eyes
Easy to miss a step in the network wizard.
Make sure you are doing all the steps in the order shown in this guide.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346
YaPI(any iso installer)

joaomcteixeira

#5 Post by joaomcteixeira »

Hi bigpup!

very nice tutorial! thx! Although it was not the solution to my problem. :(
I have tried also the Simple Network Setup.

By far the only problem report I could get from puppy is this:

Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory

remember that I could always easily configure my networks with puppy, even when using it in different computers with the same .2fs file. Until one day wireless was gone :(

thank you

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Something is missing or messed up in the save file. What it is is usually a wild guess to figure out.

Look here to see if something is missing or not good.

/etc/network-wizard/wireless/wpa-profiles

Should be 3 files:
wpa_supplicant.conf
wpa_supplicant2.conf
a .conf file for your specific wireless.

Save file corruption does happen and what it causes to not work, could be anything. The only way to fix, 100% sure, is to make a new fresh save file. Not the easy answer, but it always seems to be the method that works.
YaPI(any iso installer)

joaomcteixeira

#7 Post by joaomcteixeira »

Thank you!

I can't try your suggestion right now, I will do it as soon as I can.

:)

p.s. - nevertheless I am already considering having different .2fs files, one for my computer and another for live sessions.