Multi-Copy/Paste v3.0

Miscellaneous tools
edflores80

#21 Post by edflores80 »

i guess im out of luck since im more of a gui person...less coding....reminds me of high school...

but...

any other option of being able to click drag like window does? i just need to click drag files into a java applet that says click drag here....

thanks...

ubuntu 9 looks promising.....

disciple

#22 Post by disciple »

Ed, could you try to explain better what you want?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nic007

#23 Post by nic007 »

Nice but can the same be done with "move" ? A customised "send to" like in Windows will also be nice. Is there a way of moving something to trash without having to drag and drop it (adding a symlink for trash to "open with" looks a bit silly)?

musher0

#24 Post by musher0 »

nic007 wrote:Nice but can the same be done with "move" ? A customised "send to" like in Windows will also be nice. Is there a way of moving something to trash without having to drag and drop it (adding a symlink for trash to "open with" looks a bit silly)?
I think don570's right-click package will answer your need. It has a link to
the trash folder for a great many ROX actions accessed by right-click.

Ask him directly for the download link, since he's on this thread?
I don't have it at hand.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

SFR

#25 Post by SFR »

Hey guys

I completely forgot about this app (TBH, I'm not using it anymore - drag'n'drop turned out to be faster for me, in the end :wink: ).

As for the trash, I cooked up a script once, that adds/removes 'Trash' shortcut to the right-click menu:

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash 

# Adds/removes Trash to the context menu
# Usage:
# ./script_name add
# ./script_name remove

OpenWith_PATH="$HOME/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/" 

case "$1" in 
  "add") 
    # Creates missing folders using contents of 'globs' file
    for i in `cat /usr/share/mime/globs | grep ":" | cut -f1 -d ':' | tr '/' '_' | uniq`; do 
      [ ! -d "${OpenWith_PATH}.${i}" ] && mkdir "${OpenWith_PATH}.${i}" 
    done
    # Creates missing folders using contents of 'types' file
    for i in `cat /usr/share/mime/types | tr '/' '_' | uniq`; do
      [ ! -d "${OpenWith_PATH}.${i}" ] && mkdir "${OpenWith_PATH}.${i}" 
    done
    mkdir "${OpenWith_PATH}.inode_unknown" 
    # Creates symlink to the Trash in every folder 
    for i in `find "$OpenWith_PATH" -maxdepth 1 -type d -iname ".*"`; do 
      [ ! -L "$i/Trash" ] && ln -s /usr/local/apps/Trash "$i" 
    done 
  ;; 

"remove") 
    # Removes every symlink to the Trash
    for i in `find "$OpenWith_PATH" -maxdepth 1 -type d -iname ".*"`; do 
      [ -L "$i/Trash" ] && rm "$i/Trash" 
    done 
  ;; 
esac 

exit
It covers lots of known (and unknown) filetypes, dirs, symlinks, block devices, actually more than needed...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

disciple

#26 Post by disciple »

They were worried about not looking cool having it in the "send to" or "open with" menu though ;)
Actually I think there is a patch somewhere to replace the delete menu entry with it, but I never tried it because I'm not worried about looking cool.
But are you sure
It covers lots of known (and unknown) filetypes, dirs, symlinks, block devices, actually more than needed...
Do you really need to add things for specific filetypes? In the old days, before the first "rox right clicks" package, you just put things in the menu and they applied to all file types - is it not possible to have ones like that as well as ones for specific file types?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

SFR

#27 Post by SFR »

Do you really need to add things for specific filetypes? In the old days, before the first "rox right clicks" package, you just put things in the menu and they applied to all file types - is it not possible to have ones like that as well as ones for specific file types?
Hmm, I'm not sure, but from what I know the only way to add something to the main level of right-click menu is to bind it with specific mime-type.
Otherwise it can be available only in OpenWith/SendTo, which I'm not saying isn't cool, but it takes additional 2-3 seconds to access it. :wink:

BTW, since the thread has been revived, I took a look into my code and I didn't like what I found there, therefore I rewrote MultiCopyPaste from scratch, but using SOAP RPC method, so now, instead of that ugly terminal window, we have normal ROX copy/move dialog.
Still three options in OpenWith/SendTo submenu, but they have additional leading spaces, so they'll show up on top of the list:
Multi-Copy
Multi-Move
Multi-Paste

Now it's much better. :)

First post updated!

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

saintless

#28 Post by saintless »

Thank you for version 2, SFR !
ROX gets better and better :)

Cheers, Toni

SFR

#29 Post by SFR »

Hey Toni

You're welcome, I hope the new version works better.
And nice to see you again. :)

I forgot to re-implement the (unique) ability to paste into _multiple_ folders at once, as it was in the previous version.
Added in v2.1.

I also replaced arrow icons with public domain Tango icons for Cut, Copy and Paste actions (oh, I renamed Multi-Move to Multi-Cut, btw).

And the last change is that ROX Copy/Move dialog pops up always now, it's not in "Quiet" mode by default anymore.

First post updated!

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(10.8 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

saintless

#30 Post by saintless »

Thanks, SFR!
Nice to see you too :)
Version 2 works fine and it is much more comfortable.
I will updete to ver. 2.1 now.
Thanks again!

Best regards, Toni

mfb

#31 Post by mfb »

Hi all,

I understand how to use “new

SFR

#32 Post by SFR »

mfb wrote:* to see an example of how to use multiple sources in v 2.2
especially if they can all be pasted into a linked folder.
Which distro you're using MultiCP on?
I just tried in latest Fatdog and Tahr-6.0.5 and this works:

1. Select source files/directories.
2. Right-click any of the selected items -> OpenWith (or SendTo) -> Multi-Copy
3. Select target directory/ies (or symlinks).
4. Right-click any of the selected items -> OpenWith (or SendTo) -> Multi-Paste

Of course in case of single source/target items the Multi-* options are available in the root of right-click menu, so OpenWith/SendTo step is not necessary.

So, at what stage it fails for you?

Greetings!

mfb

#33 Post by mfb »

Hi SFR,

Thank you for helping. I have tried to follow your advice using Tahr-64.6.0.5, but I have failed.

I have dragged the "downloads" directory from /root and dropped it on my desktop.

I have made two directories in /root named "1" and "2", each of which holds a tiny picture respectively named "1.png" and "2.png".
After downloading the attached holder.pet copies may be extracted.

I'm trying to copy 1.png, then 2.png and paste them into my desktop copy of the downloads directory in a single operation.

I hope I know how to select the files using ctrl + left click and how to perform actions using right click, but I even doubt I'm collecting both files properly so I don't seem to get the chance to paste both (only one from the main menu).

Some five-year-olds are brilliant, so please direct any detailed explanation as if to a reasonably competent four-year-old.
Attachments
holder.pet
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

SFR

#34 Post by SFR »

Oh, I think I misunderstood you.
You want to copy files from two different locations in one go, right?
Well, MCP-2.x (unlike 1.x branch) doesn't work this way anymore.
You can still cut/copy multiple items, but they all have to be in the same folder.
It behaves just like in any other file manager (SpaceFM, Thunar, Windows Explorer).

Also, now I see that by "linked folder" you meant a shortcut on the pinboard, not a symlink.
Quick fix for MCP-1.1 is:

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/local/apps/Multi-Paste ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.inode_directory
After that when you right-click a folder shortcut on the pinboard, you'll get access to "Multi-Paste" option.

Greetings!

nic007

#35 Post by nic007 »

Hi, SFR. Thanks for this great application. So, I need to use version 1.1 if I want to copy/move from different source folders in one operation (using the add option)? May I ask why you changed (omitted) this useful extra function in the 2 series? I use only one fixed ROX window all the time and explore quickly via ROX's favourite function, so the copying/moving from different source folders in one operation is particularly useful. Thanks.

mfb

#36 Post by mfb »

Hi again SFR,

Thank you so much, your (single line of code) solution to allow a Multi-Paste to a desktop shortcut directory works perfectly in your pet version 1.1.

Reciprocal greetings

EDIT:

Thank you again -
See two posts below for the announcement of SFR's new version 3.0.
It's the new height of versatility and elegance, and it's SFR (Simple-to-use+Fast+Reliable) standard built.
Though, I'm sure, many series 1 and 2 users will remain delighted with their current pet.
Last edited by mfb on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#37 Post by SFR »

mfb wrote:Hi again SFR,

Thank you so much, your (single line of code) solution to allow a Multi-Paste to a desktop shortcut directory works perfectly in your pet version 1.1.

Reciprocal greetings
You're welcome, glad it worked. :)
nic007 wrote:Hi, SFR. Thanks for this great application. So, I need to use version 1.1 if I want to copy/move from different source folders in one operation (using the add option)? May I ask why you changed (omitted) this useful extra function in the 2 series? I use only one fixed ROX window all the time and explore quickly via ROX's favourite function, so the copying/moving from different source folders in one operation is particularly useful. Thanks.
Yes, v1.1 would be the one.

Well, I think because I wasn't using this feature that much and also wanted to make this little app as much compatibile as possible with the way the more common file managers work.
That being said I may look into it again in a spare moment and perhaps I'll figure out how to merge both methods in an elegant manner, but can't promise anything yet. ;)

Thanks &
Greetings!

SFR

#38 Post by SFR »

Ok, so I rewrote MCP almost from scratch.
Now it combines modes from 1.x and 2.x branches, although they can't be used simultaneously.
You have to choose one of them during installation, but later you can change it via 'Filesystem -> MultiCopyPaste Config'.

Written on Fatdog, but also briefly tested on Tahr and everything seems to work fine, however I recommend use with caution at first.

See the first post for PET package.

Greetings!

Smithy

#39 Post by Smithy »

This is a great little app for Rox SFR, many times I wanted to ditch Rox for Thunar or such because of this.

Limitation:
Doesn't work on "top" of filesystem(s), I mean one cannot paste item(s) directly into, eg. /, there must be specific folder or folders selected.

It would be good if one could just highlight the files required, select copy or cut, whizz over to another drive or folder and paste right inside there, but like you said, one has to highlight the folder before it will paste into it.

Just wondering, can I rename the dialogue names to cut, copy and paste, rather than multicut, multicopy and multipaste?
For a newbie, (especially one from windows) it might seem more intuitive to see those names on the right click. Or would it conflict with the lousy drag and drop in Rox?

Anyways, extends the life of Rox imo, all we need is some way to have disks named what they should be i.e C;, D;, E; USB1, USB2 etc rather than SDA SDC2 and other "funny" names of drives!

Still testing your app, but so far it's a keeper!

nic007

#40 Post by nic007 »

Smithy wrote:This is a great little app for Rox SFR, many times I wanted to ditch Rox for Thunar or such because of this.

Limitation:
Doesn't work on "top" of filesystem(s), I mean one cannot paste item(s) directly into, eg. /, there must be specific folder or folders selected.

It would be good if one could just highlight the files required, select copy or cut, whizz over to another drive or folder and paste right inside there, but like you said, one has to highlight the folder before it will paste into it.

Just wondering, can I rename the dialogue names to cut, copy and paste, rather than multicut, multicopy and multipaste?
For a newbie, (especially one from windows) it might seem more intuitive to see those names on the right click. Or would it conflict with the lousy drag and drop in Rox?

Anyways, extends the life of Rox imo, all we need is some way to have disks named what they should be i.e C;, D;, E; USB1, USB2 etc rather than SDA SDC2 and other "funny" names of drives!

Still testing your app, but so far it's a keeper!
Hi, Smithy. After reading your post, I once again pondered the can't copy to / limitation. That can't be done (yet, working on it) but I was also for a time not aware that one can copy to the root of a drive, which of course can be done. So, say for instance I want to copy to the root of sda1, I just go to /mnt and right-click the sda1 "folder" and paste, bingo. Just thought I would share this as some users may not be aware of it.
Edit: Actually, workaround for the / "problem" > right-click /initrd/pup_rw "folder" and paste. Now we can copy/paste everywhere with this lovely application. Another tip - I use one, pre-sized JWM window and use the favourite button to add all my favourite destination folders. Works like a bomb. :)