How to make Puppy VMware image?

Booting, installing, newbie
puppyiso

How to make Puppy VMware image?

#1 Post by puppyiso »

I heard about vmware converter and all but I'd better ask here.

Let a say, I use windows XP but I don't want to get virus.

I think I might get some help from using virtual machines such as qemu, vmware or virtual box etc.

I use XP without any internet connection or outside data input. No SD card, No USB

All those are done in virtual machine. Use Puppy and XP at the same time or switch around.

I am asking this because I want to help some friends of mine who suffer from virus.

I told them they could use Puppy but they have bunch of reason why don't wanna be converts.

I suggested using 2 OSes at the same time.

When plug in sd card or usb or using internet, do so in puppy.

For playing stupid games or doing some XP things, of course use XP (native mode huh?)

Now I gotta know how to make vmware or qemu image to give them so they can try.

Complex internet instruction will not help me or them.

I gotta give them a file that is already cooked by Puppylinux meaning just open vmplayer and run puppy like a portable or double click on pre installed puppy "application OS" on XP after a fews of installation just like another XP program, if it is possible.II remember seeing such one before)

If I have to, how can I make one?

Please help before they call me.

Or are there something like that already done? If so, hopefully, it's a newer version of Puppy.

Please educate me.

Thanks
Attachments
puppy in XP small.jpg
(186.7 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

puppyiso

I guess I am wrong

#2 Post by puppyiso »

I realized that if I run vmawred puppy on XP and try to connect USB something, XP, the host OS, not puppy will pick up the device.

Therefore it wouldn't work.

Running XP as a vmware would be questionable legally even if you ARE THE OWNER.

Most of PCs comes with pre installed Windows, hence no CD.

So I thought running XP on linux has legal problem.

It is hard to convince people to use Linux instead of XP.

Case closed.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

You can have usb appear in vmware.

You can run XP and not get viruses.

just thought I'd pop in there

mike

puppyiso

#4 Post by puppyiso »

mikeb

could you be more specific?

I posted my question hoping I could get some quick answer from THE puppy folks.

After posting, I realized that my idea of using vmware something has some flaws.

So I gave up until you told me it is possible.

But i don't know how. mikeb.

Let a say I am in XP and started vmaware something. That could be whatever emulator. and the vmware runs puppy.

I wann use Puppy to do all kinds of outside communicating such as the internet, SD card, usb or anything else that brings any data in.

I suspect if I put usb in, XP will detect that first. I may be able to strat the internet in vmware. That's possible. But not with cards or usb stuff.

What you are saying is that puppy will pick that up if I am in puppy mode using vmware?

My friends and I used all kinds of anti virus programs but they are not perfect and costly.Most people I know use free antivirus programs.

They are not as good as commercial ones but free.

Commercial ones are terrible. Computers slowed down to snail speed and basically stops all the computer. I am not the user of the computer.

Those commercial programs are.

Worst of all, they don't catch all virus not all the time. You pay a lot of money and still get virus. And still need to update everyday. and you are forced to up grade versions.

I believe commercial programs are not worth their prices.

I, like most people, use free program. Knowing there is not a single perfect program protecting me from virus.

If you are saying XP doesn't get virus with those programs, forget it.

If that is true, there won't be any computer got sick by virus. And there won't be virus if they don't work on any computers. Makers wouldn't have any fun making them.

I am not trying to argue with you. I just hope you don't mean antivirus programs.

I still don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Please be more specific.

I used vmware before but I wasn't impressed that time (6 7 years ago??)

I just wanna try out this time one more

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Ok usb is possible on vmware.... google should tell you how...I just have noticed others doing it...not sure if it requires guest addons or its just a config thing. (hard drives can be seen in a virtual machine easily so a usb stick is similar) XP will see the usb stick as its the system handling it.
You can also use windows networking for local file access.

I hardly ever use vbox/vmware and tend to use qemu but only for testing so I don't have a need to fully add funtions like usb or sound.
The internet usually works as is.

My main purpose of posting was to suggest what you want can be done...just needs a little research.

As for XP I probably would be out of line discussing it here.... quick reply would be I don't use any antivirus...removing internet explorer, outlook, messenger and wmp is the method I use...there are various ways to do that but again one to research.

perhaps someone will join in with more specific answers.

mike

puppyiso

#6 Post by puppyiso »

Thank you for your reply.

You are right. I should do some research on my own.

(I admit I was very lazy...)

Looks like you are the only who did care to answer me.

Thank you I appreciate it.

I will start searching.

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

Are you committed to using vmware?
The reason I ask is that I have used VitualBox on a PC with XP and it worked well.
When one creates a virtual drive and picks a size for it, the drive starts out small and grows toward the max size one selects.
It does make some modifications to XP as it has to be able to get network access for internet connections.
I have never tried to run it from a USB stick though.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Looks like you are the only who did care to answer me.
bumping a thread with vague answers sometimes gets the right people in eventually ;)

I thing puppyiso wants access to usb sticks in vmware (or vbox) rather than run from one (though I have done that . vbox and qemu can use a flash stick as a drive image if that makes sense)

mike