Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 19:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
RAID arrays in (Puppy) Linux
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct 2013, 21:49    Post subject:  

toronado wrote:
ROX seems to show empty directories in /mnt/ for partitions that don't exist. So, if I don't mount md0, there is a (empty) directory there anyway. I found many other "dummy" directories there for previously created partitions and what not that no longer exist.

Yes, it seems to be a quirk of the mdadm application that it creates additional "dummy" or "ghost" device nodes, typically of the format "/dev/md_d0" or similar. You can manually stop these dummy arrays as such -
Code:
mdadm --stop /dev/whatever

but as long as these devices/arrays don't interfere with the correct device/array, there's no problem, and you can just ignore them.

toronado wrote:
I just added the commands to assemble and mount the RAID array to my Samba Auto-Start script and it works great.

Sure, that startup script is fine, but generally the correct place to such additional commands is /etc/rc.d/rc.local
I have just updated the instructions in the third post.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct 2013, 21:50    Post subject:  

And in the final wash up ... you have Puppy running with a functioning Linux software RAID-0 array.
Bravo.
toronado

PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct 2013, 23:32    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
toronado wrote:
ROX seems to show empty directories in /mnt/ for partitions that don't exist. So, if I don't mount md0, there is a (empty) directory there anyway. I found many other "dummy" directories there for previously created partitions and what not that no longer exist.

Yes, it seems to be a quirk of the mdadm application that it creates additional "dummy" or "ghost" device nodes, typically of the format "/dev/md_d0" or similar. You can manually stop these dummy arrays as such -
Code:
mdadm --stop /dev/whatever

but as long as these devices/arrays don't interfere with the correct device/array, there's no problem, and you can just ignore them.
This is probably getting off-topic for this thread, but I don't think this issue pertains to mdadm. (It might not have anything to do with ROX either.) For example, well before installing the mdadm pet I noticed empty directories in /mnt/ for partitions such as sda2 sdb2 sdc4 sdd2 etc. and none of these partitions actually existed (or at least they didn't exist at the time I was browsing /mnt/). And while some of these partitions I actually created in the past and subsequently deleted (such as sdc4), others (like sda2, sdb2, sdd2) I don't recall ever creating in the first place. It's an old computer, so maybe it's haunted. Smile

tempestuous wrote:
toronado wrote:
I just added the commands to assemble and mount the RAID array to my Samba Auto-Start script and it works great.

Sure, that startup script is fine, but generally the correct place to such additional commands is /etc/rc.d/rc.local
I have just updated the instructions in the third post.
OK thanks.
carenrose

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov 2013, 17:09    Post subject:  

Sorry, I know this thread is old, but I figured this is probably the best place to put this question.

I have succeeded in setting up my RAID (1, btw). I'm now trying - and failing - to install Grub.

From the menu entry gui program, when I get to the step, something like "which disk or whatever do you want to put it in on?" and it suggests "/dev/sda(1?)" I tried both /dev/md0 and /dev/sda (and/or /dev/sda1) and /dev/sdb (and same).
I am not currently on that computer so I don't remember if that step asked for the disk or the partition, but whichever it asked for I put, ok? Very Happy
It said that /dev/md0 "is not a valid Linux" something or other, and it couldn't mount sda or sdb to do its stuff there - which I figured as much.

Anyways, I tried command line. The below is approximation of what it said: (Yes, I know I'm being overly descriptive.)
Code:
# grub
Blah blah something about BIOS this will take a while. ...

grub > find /boot/grub/stage1

Error 15: File not found

Ok, so I copied the files from /usr/sbin/grub (or wherever they are) to md0's /boot/grub that I created ... so it should be present on *both physical drives* right? And grub won't find when I do the above yet again.

What am I missing? Am I just totally lost?
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov 2013, 21:08    Post subject:  

Ah, you're trying to boot from a RAID array, and that's complicated. Personally, I would avoid this, and install Puppy on a separate (non-RAID) drive - even a small USB flash drive. Then just use the RAID array for your user-data.

But if you're determined to persist, you will need to do some research and experimentation, and then rebuild Puppy's initrd.
Let me explain it in principle: the software RAID array can generally only be understood, and thus accessible, to a running operating system. It's difficult (but not impossible) to access files on the array at bootup.

What you need to do is include all necessary drivers, utilities, and configuration logic into Puppy's initial ramdisk.
In your case, that means rebuilding the initrd image to include the mdadm application, raid1 kernel module, and also modify the initrd startup scripts to assemble and mount the RAID array right at the start of the boot sequence.
I have no experience in this, so cannot help with the fine details.

Once this is all achieved, yes, you can put the grub configuration files onto the array ...
but as I understand it, the Master Boot Record must still be installed onto a single physical drive. I don't believe it's possible to share the MBR on an array - that would effectively be sharing two boot sectors. I can't imagine that any motherboard bios would be able to recognise this.
toronado

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2013, 01:51    Post subject:  

I've installed a new version of Puppy (PhatSlacko 5.5.02 for its easy Samba config) and I installed mdadm-3.2.5 from the PPM and rebooted but no md0 in /mnt.

I tried:
Code:
# mdadm --assemble /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/md0 not identified in config file.
So before I go messing things up further, what should I try next?
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:00    Post subject:  

So as I understand it, you have installed a new version of Puppy, but you want to access the software RAID array that you previously created?

toronado wrote:
Code:

Oops, it sounds like you didn't keep a copy of your configuration file (from your earlier installation) - /etc/mdadm.conf
toronado

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:34    Post subject:  

tempestuous wrote:
So as I understand it, you have installed a new version of Puppy, but you want to access the software RAID array that you previously created?

toronado wrote:
Code:

Oops, it sounds like you didn't keep a copy of your configuration file (from your earlier installation) - /etc/mdadm.conf
I haven't erased the previous install (it's on a separate partition). Are you saying all I need to do is copy over the config file?
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:58    Post subject:  

I think so, yes.
toronado

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov 2013, 23:30    Post subject:  

Thanks, it worked.
Page 3 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: