Firewall status tray icon - firewallstate-2.1

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
kickstart

#141 Post by kickstart »

Hi Tasmod

For your info I have just installed the version 2.1 PET in Racy 522.

No problems with the installation and on reboot the tray icon appears and everything works fine on the right click.

Many thanks for your efforts, this is a really useful PET for Puppies like Racy that don't have any firewall status indication.

jpeps

#142 Post by jpeps »

tasmod wrote:I was asked why the change.

Well, on startup firewallstate retrieves the external IP address and the internal LAN IP. Then stops accessing after placing them in /tmp, this saves further processing.

I therefore added a call when the right click menu item 'Information' is clicked, to re-run the IP scripts again, thus refreshing the information.

Funny how sometimes an event doesn't take place for quite a while to show up a 'bug' :lol:
For that reason I opted for a static icon on my tray instead of a running process...with buttons for turning the firewall off/on.
Attachments
myfirewall.png
(14.99 KiB) Downloaded 1353 times
myfirewall.pet
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times

Argolance

#143 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
... I like this little and very useful program...
Question: why is it only in English? :shock:
I already localized simple external firewallstate-2.1 scripts (for Toutou Linux, French version of Puppy)... could modify chains directly inside source files then compiling, but I think it would be lost time. The best indeed should be a gettext localized main script to get the right click menu translated.
Now that Barry is seriously working for Puppy to be "deeply" localized, should not this (pleeeeeease!), be done systematically from the beginning by programs conceptors? :wink:

Cordialement.

tasmod

#144 Post by tasmod »

Argolance,

Simple and honest answer : I don't know how :oops:

I will however look into doing it.

Rob
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Argolance

#145 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
...Great! :D
It should not be so difficult (?)!
Just a suggestion: Inside the right-click menu, are Psync, Date and time and Internet connexion wizard really convenient here? These have, by all appearances, directly nothing to do with the Firewall settings and seem to make double-use with some other applets?

Cordialement!

tuxtoo

Firewallstate for puppy-412

#146 Post by tuxtoo »

Does anyone know if there is a version that works with Puppy-412 and where I can geta hold of it.

I know 412 is out of date but I like it. So please don't give me a hard time.
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

rodin.s

i18n for firewallstate

#147 Post by rodin.s »

I am working on Russian version of Slacko so I have made i18n-ed firewallstate. Firewallgtk can be translated using MoManager, the pot-file for binary firewallstate is in /usr/share/doc/nls/firewallstate. I also put Russian mo-files in /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES.
File /usr/share/applications/firewallstate.desktop also has 'Name[ru]' line for Russian. But I don't understand what should it point to. In original it points to directory.
I have also changed line for locale detection:

Code: Select all

locale | grep 'LANG=' | cut -d '=' -f2
Attachments
firewallstate-2.2.pet
i18n-ed firewallstate
(16.04 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
firewallstate-2.0.c.gz
source file with gettext
(3.67 KiB) Downloaded 879 times

Argolance

#148 Post by Argolance »

Thank you...
Attachments
firewallstate_fr_po_mo-files.tar.gz
French Firewallgtk and firewallstate po and mo files
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 852 times

James186282

#149 Post by James186282 »

I tried to close all the ports in the firewall supplied on the 5.6 Distro but I flunking the shields up port tests on GRC.com Is there something I should be doing? I tried custom and selected all ports.

The Information display for the firewall seems to have a bug. I should learn how to post a screen shot but in short this is what I get.

Your external IP is _________ blank space.
PC network address 127.0.0.1

I have good IP addresses (connections.) I checked with iw and ifconfig and they were in th 10.0.0.x range (Which was the router I was trying to connect to. I have another machine (Attached to a different router) and the firewall does the same thing. This is a tower (a gateway 831GM)it connecting ok to the standard 192.168.x.x. IP range My Wife's laptop laptop is running slacko 5.5 on it with the same issues *another T60 Thinkpad.

I hope this is helpful I really appreciate the effort so many of you put in for such an amazing system.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

tasmod

#150 Post by tasmod »

Hi James,

The problem of the blank IP is quite simple.

The addresses you quote are internal router addresses.

Firewallstate IP information uses an external site to send back the External IP info. On the "other side" of the router, your ISP connection.

Rob
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

OscarTalks

#151 Post by OscarTalks »

01micko recently published a firewallstate-2.5 source package in another thread, but it is set up for the new autostart mechanism. I am no expert, but I was having a play around with some modifications to the scripts and the source in order to make a version for the current and recent (non Woof-CE) Puppies which use /root/Startup

I have also noticed that in many cases if you click the menu entry multiple times you get multiple instances of the icon/applet in the tray. My script now looks to see if firewallstate is already running and if so it just gives a message box and does not launch another instance. Others may be able to come up with something more sophisticated.

Apart from this, what I have so far is the nice new green and red shield tray icons. The icon on the exit button of the Firewall On/Off dialog box is fixed. You can start it from console with the command firewallstate (is this a good idea?). It restarts if you reboot or restart X but if you right-click and exit it won't then restart unless you do so manually from the menu or from console.

Everything seems to be working as it should and of course this version does not call out to external hosts to determine your WAN IP. Apparently some people are concerned about that.

In case anyone wants to take a look or give it a try I will name it as version 2.5.1 and upload here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

Probably best to remove the old files and folders (if present) before installing, eg:-
/root/Startup/firewallstaterun
/usr/local/firewallgtk (directory and contents)
/usr/local/firewallstate (directory and contents)
Attachments
firewall-on-off-dialog.jpg
Icons all display in Firewall ON / OFF Dialog
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 1249 times
already-running.jpg
Message Box instead of multiple instances
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 1250 times
Oscar in England

Smithy

#152 Post by Smithy »

Very nice.
Would it be difficult to be able to use or make and save presets for the firewall?

Even if it was just sh files on a basic level, it might be good for different setups that one could change at will.

greengeek

#153 Post by greengeek »

OscarTalks wrote:01micko recently published a firewallstate-2.5 source package in another thread, but it is set up for the new autostart mechanism. I am no expert, but I was having a play around with some modifications to the scripts and the source in order to make a version for the current and recent (non Woof-CE) Puppies which use /root/Startup
Hi Oscar, does your version have the ability for autostarting as you've mentioned exists in the 01micko version, or did you remove that ability. I'm quite keen on having the firewall autostart function combined with the 'don't connect to external hosts' thing you've incorporated here.

OscarTalks

#154 Post by OscarTalks »

My version autostarts via the file in /root/Startup as normal.
Only the very recent Woof-CE Puppies will have the new autostart mechanism.
Oscar in England

tuxtoo

#155 Post by tuxtoo »

I asked almost two years ago on this thread (page 10) if there is a version that works on Puppy-412. I have eventually given up waiting and just thought I would ask again.

v1.9 works up to a point, in that the tray icon won't change to 'On'

Any ideas . . . anyone . . .
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

bigpup

#156 Post by bigpup »

Just an idea.
Maybe you do not have the on icon.
There should be two icons that get used.
One for on and the other for off.

Some on off bugs got fixed with version 2.0.

Have you tried to use the latest version 2.1?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Smithy

#157 Post by Smithy »

Still thinking about how to implement presets...
Attachments
image-1.png
(213.42 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

rcrsn51

#158 Post by rcrsn51 »

tuxtoo wrote:I asked almost two years ago on this thread (page 10) if there is a version that works on Puppy-412. I have eventually given up waiting and just thought I would ask again. v1.9 works up to a point, in that the tray icon won't change to 'On'.
This situation also occurs with other tray applets that were compiled in Puppy5 but are not backwards-compatible to Puppy4. It has to do with the versions of core components like glibc or gtk.

If you want a firewall monitor that does not depend on the system tray, read here.

ttuuxxx

#159 Post by ttuuxxx »

For the ones using firewall state, I made 2 icons for it, Basically I made a red brick wall with gimp and added a gtk-apply when its enabled and when its disabled I made the brick wall B&W and added a gtk-cancel icon, Simple yet effective and both icons are only around 1k in file size. Here's a pet for the them, Feel free to use them or do anything with them. etc.
Attachments
firewallstate-icons1.0.pet
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
firewall-ok-30.png
(995 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times
firewall-warn-30.png
(1020 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)