x11vnc server and tightvnc viewer packages for Dingo

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
alix_board

#21 Post by alix_board »

Hi @ all,

i have install x11vnc_server-0.9.4B.pet on my puppy linux PC. After i install x11vnc_server and restart my system i have only one entry in the menu-networtk -- it is x11vnc-server.

When i start this, i have choose the option "Start the x11vnc server now and everytime we boot". Then i have set a "Password for connection". So i become the message, "The x11vnc server has been started. ....."

After that i start VNC Viewer on my Windows PC, but i can not make an connection to the puppy PC :? !?

The IP from Puppy is 192.168.70.137 and the IP from my Windows PC is 192.168.70.122. The Subnetmask is the same.

Have someone any idea what´s wrong? For information, i can make a ping from the Puppy PC to Windows and backwards.

thanks a lot,
alix_board

alix_board

#22 Post by alix_board »

Hi,

so, now i want to control my windows PC over Puppy Linux with the tightvnc_viewer-1.3.9.pet. I install this package. After i restart my system i open menu --> Network --> TightVnc VNC Client. But the client do not start!?

What's wrong?

Strampke

#23 Post by Strampke »

I installed the tighvnc viewer, but I cannot find how to start it.
It does not appear in the menu under Network and I cannot find it anywhere in the Puppy directories.
(this search function from ROX, I don't get it, I cannot search with it. (used to using Midnight Commander)

2byte

#24 Post by 2byte »

You may need to open a terminal and type fixmenus to get it to show up in the menu. Depending on which Puppy you have you may also need to reboot or restart X. If you want to run it from a terminal the command should be

Code: Select all

/usr/X11R7/bin/vncviewer 
or just vncviewer.

walrus

#25 Post by walrus »

not to dredge an old thread, but i had some issues with this, and maybe it will help someone in the future.

worked fine until i realized i could not use SHIFT and was missing some characters here or there. in my search for a fix, all i found were suggestions to run with -xkb. doing this only resulted in me getting NO keyboard input over vnc. after a lot of experimenting i found that running with the switch -nomodtweak solved all the issues.

hope it helps,
walrus

DAJ

#26 Post by DAJ »

Thanks walrus

Your suggestion of adding switch -nomodtweak with x11vnc did solved all the issues you mention.

Perhaps to help others here is what I did. (lupu 525, 528)

1. Relevant file to modify is x11vnc-gui (a text file):

/usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui
2. Two lines need to be changed. The code in each line is the same. Line 53 and line 59 in the original read:

x11vnc -nolookup -forever -bg -passwordfile /root/.x11vnc/read:password
add -nomodtweak after xx11vnc (and space) eg

x11vnc -nomodtweak -nolookup -forever -bg -passwordfile /root/.x11vnc/read:password

HoerMirAuf

... a newer version ...

#27 Post by HoerMirAuf »

Hi ....

i run the x11vncserver-0.9.4b on my wary-puppy and it works well. Bute after changing to slacko i got the problem that the shift keys dosnt work.

So, i compiled the 0.9.14 version an made a pet file. I added some libs (libssl and libcrypto) and the vncserver works on slacko without errors.

i tryed to upload the package here ... but ther was always an upload error. if anybody is interessed in please tell me, how i can it upload here :)

somethis

#28 Post by somethis »

ahiemstra wrote:I successfully installed and ran it on Puppy v4.00 too.
Works on Wary 5.3, too

georg1

#29 Post by georg1 »

Hi. For me just work in both directions if I disable firewall, than work in both sides, if is enabled just work from puppy to outside.

So I must open 5900 port in puppy firewall, but Im little confused, with that hosts and ip addresses

my situation is that

router has 192.168.1.12/255.255.255.0

my win machine has 192.168.1.2

puppy one 192.168.1.114
puppy two 192.168.1.134

but I dont even know what is my host, is that name of my windows share group, my windows machine name, or router name ?

thank you

toronado

#30 Post by toronado »

DAJ wrote:Thanks walrus

Your suggestion of adding switch -nomodtweak with x11vnc did solved all the issues you mention.

Perhaps to help others here is what I did. (lupu 525, 528)

1. Relevant file to modify is x11vnc-gui (a text file):

/usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui
2. Two lines need to be changed. The code in each line is the same. Line 53 and line 59 in the original read:

x11vnc -nolookup -forever -bg -passwordfile /root/.x11vnc/read:password
add -nomodtweak after xx11vnc (and space) eg

x11vnc -nomodtweak -nolookup -forever -bg -passwordfile /root/.x11vnc/read:password
Thanks for this! I had the non-functioning shift key and this fix worked for me!

Just one problem... holding down shift and pressing the comma key was producing a ">" instead of a "<". (Interestingly, "<" was the one uppercase character that did work previously.)

The fix for that was:
-remap less-comma
as mentioned here:http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.htm ... reaterless

toronado

broken in PHATSlacko 5502

#31 Post by toronado »

The above fix (my previous post in this thread) for the non-functional shift-key is not working for me in PHATSlacko 5.5.02 (though it did work in lupu528.)

I'm wondering if the /usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui file is being over-ridden somewhere in this version of Puppy?

01micko

Re: broken in PHATSlacko 5502

#32 Post by 01micko »

toronado wrote:The above fix (my previous post in this thread) for the non-functional shift-key is not working for me in PHATSlacko 5.5.02 (though it did work in lupu528.)

I'm wondering if the /usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui file is being over-ridden somewhere in this version of Puppy?
This package is probably a bit old so I would recommend tigervnc.

This package works in slacko http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.0/, grab the txz extension, it will install by clicking. It requires libtasn1 which is in the PPM (type it in the search box), install that first. The menu entry with icon is created in network (for the client) and to set up the server just read some of the documentation, it's pretty easy.

The pic is puppy VNC server, slackware as the client
Attachments
snapshot12.jpg
(77.58 KiB) Downloaded 3598 times
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

toronado

Re: broken in PHATSlacko 5502

#33 Post by toronado »

01micko wrote:It requires libtasnl1 which is in the PPM (type it in the search box), install that first.
My PPM search is coming up empty on libtasnl1.

01micko

#34 Post by 01micko »

Sorry, typo :oops:
libtasn1 (corrected in post)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

toronado

tigervnc server

#35 Post by toronado »

Thanks. I got the package installed no problem. The viewer has a menu entry and seems to work fine.

I've been trying to locate the documentation to configure the server and have had no luck. Is there a config file, or do I need to do all the configuration from the command line?

pbeare

x11vnc shift key fix

#36 Post by pbeare »

Adding the nomodtweak flag to the /usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui file did not fix the inoperable vnc client shift key for me, but adding it to line two of the root/Startup/Start-x11vnc file worked.

I am using Lupu528 with x11vnc server, and RealVNC viewer on a Windows pc. I added "PERMIT" to the firewall for port 5900/tcp. All works fine! But it was handy using teamviewer to keep a parallel connection open whilst fault-finding and restartng the vnc server over and over.
Hope this helps.

toronado

Re: x11vnc shift key fix

#37 Post by toronado »

pbeare wrote:Adding the nomodtweak flag to the /usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui file did not fix the inoperable vnc client shift key for me, but adding it to line two of the root/Startup/Start-x11vnc file worked.

I am using Lupu528 with x11vnc server, and RealVNC viewer on a Windows pc. I added "PERMIT" to the firewall for port 5900/tcp. All works fine! But it was handy using teamviewer to keep a parallel connection open whilst fault-finding and restartng the vnc server over and over.
Hope this helps.
I've switched back to Lupu528 and tried your version of the fix instead of mine, and it's working.

I needed both "-nomodtweek" and "-remap less-comma" in the root/Startup/Start-x11vnc file but overall a simpler fix than the one I was using previously. Thanks!

robwoj44

#38 Post by robwoj44 »

trlkly

#39 Post by trlkly »

Where did the x11vnc pet go? It's no longer listed up there.

I tried getting the latest from my packagemanger, and it was more complicated than just running this one, did not provide a way tell it to run at startup, and failed at first and only worked after it opened a GUI that then launched a terminal window.

I want that pet. It just works.

Edit: I tried getting it through archive.org. They have the forum, but not the file. And although it says the page is available on the web, I am told the attachment was removed.

Seeing as this whole thing hasn't been edited in a long time, I find that odd. Did something break and anything that has two attachments now only have one?

HoerMirAuf

#40 Post by HoerMirAuf »

Hi,

i guess you mean this one:

x11vnc_server-0.9.14.pet 2MB

I updated the package to the current x11vnc server 0.9.14.

Have fun.
[size=75][color=blue]Bionic64[/color][/size]