Puppy on laptop with 32 MB RAM

Booting, installing, newbie
papa ku

Puppy on laptop with 32 MB RAM

#1 Post by papa ku »

Hi all!
I have an old laptop with only 32 MB RAM on board. Currently it runs Knoppix 3.4, as all later versions of Knoppix don't even boot on it. I want to switch it to Puppy. So, some questions:
1. How well will it run on 32 MB of RAM?
2. Will it support PCMCIA modem? (btw Knoppix does!)
3. Will it support Cyrillic keyboard and display?
4. Current versions of Puppy use IceWM by default, but I want Fvwm95. Do current Puppy distributions still include it as an option?
5. The size of current version of Puppy is 66.6 MB, and I don't like this number for obvious reasons. Will the next versions o Puppy have different size?
6. Which version of Opera does the current version of Puppy include, and is it possible to upgrade Opera without upgrading Puppy?
7. Will Abiword open DOC files with Cyrillic letters in them?
8. Does Puppy include Xfig, and if not, is it possible to install one?
9. Same question about dosemu.
10. Same question about Midnight Commander.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

the Puppy 2.10r1 iso is reported by rox as:

67 megs .... 69828608 bytes

you can easily cat some bytes to the end of the iso, i don't think it would cause any problems:

cat /bin/bash >> puppy.iso

MU

#3 Post by MU »

ohoh... since many years I answer support-requests for a project of the creator of this website

Maybe it would be a good idea to offer the option to de-install all my programs from Puppy, just for moral reasons ;)

Mark

papa ku

#4 Post by papa ku »

And what about other questions? :)

WhoDo

Re: Puppy on laptop with 32 MB RAM

#5 Post by WhoDo »

papa ku wrote:Hi all!
I have an old laptop with only 32 MB RAM on board. Currently it runs Knoppix 3.4, as all later versions of Knoppix don't even boot on it. I want to switch it to Puppy. So, some questions:
1. How well will it run on 32 MB of RAM?
It will run very well, provided you have created a swap partition on your hard drive. It won't run at all otherwise.
papa ku wrote: 2. Will it support PCMCIA modem? (btw Knoppix does!)
Probably, but others are better placed to answer that than me.
papa ku wrote: 3. Will it support Cyrillic keyboard and display?
What's a Cyrillic keyboard?
papa ku wrote: 4. Current versions of Puppy use IceWM by default, but I want Fvwm95. Do current Puppy distributions still include it as an option?
Yes, I believe they do. Certainly my Puppy 2.03CE does.
papa ku wrote: 5. The size of current version of Puppy is 66.6 MB, and I don't like this number for obvious reasons. Will the next versions o Puppy have different size?
Oh, please! :roll:
papa ku wrote: 6. Which version of Opera does the current version of Puppy include, and is it possible to upgrade Opera without upgrading Puppy?

I believe Opera 9.02 but I'll stand corrected if that's wrong.
papa ku wrote: 7. Will Abiword open DOC files with Cyrillic letters in them?
What are Cyrillic letters?
papa ku wrote: 8. Does Puppy include Xfig, and if not, is it possible to install one?
What is Xfig? Puppy supports both Xorg and Xvesa, but I've never heard of Xfig.
papa ku wrote: 9. Same question about dosemu.
You can use KQemu, hugo or Wine under Puppy.
papa ku wrote: 10. Same question about Midnight Commander.

Yes, or at least its equivalent.

I'm sure those with more knowledge than I will correct any patently wrong answers in the list above. Hope I've been more of a help than a hindrance.

Cheers

MU

#6 Post by MU »

xfig is a vector-grafic program, it should be possible to install the debian package.

Dos-Emu:
You could use Dosbox, I have not tried dosemu yet.
Dosbox is very good, you even can play old games like System Shock with it.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ght=dosemu

Cyrillic is supported, might require some manual changes.
Tips about Unicode-characters are found in this forum:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewforum.php?f=16

It is worth to read messages about arab/hebrew/vietnamese, too, because they are related.

32 MB Ram: I think it was reported that it works, but I think it will be very slow.
Deli-Linux might work better on such a machine:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... light=deli

I personally would use Win95, with http://unxutils.sf.net and http://www.bb4win.org/ as a "Pseudo-Linux", if a real Linux is too slow.

Mark

papa ku

#7 Post by papa ku »

I thougth about DeLi previously, probably it will run very fast on this laptop, but it is not suitable for me only for one reason: the laptop has USB (I frequently use USB flash drives in Knoppix on this laptop in order to exchange files with my 256-MB-RAM desktop machine that has a large Fedora-based distro installed on it), and USB probably won't work in DeLi (or it will?).
I already have a swap file on my laptop, I created it in order to run Knoppix, will Puppy be able to use the same swap file?
And how does Puppy decompress DEB packages? Does it include a DEB unpacker in default install, or I have to install it separately?

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

papa ku

#9 Post by papa ku »

I've read that the current DeLi Linux (version 0.7) uses 2.4 kernel, so it probably will work with flash drives. But my laptop has a 2 GB HDD not divided into partitions. It runs FreeDOS 9 and Knoppix 3.4 which is started by loadlin from CD image on HDD. Puppy probably will also run by launching such way. But will DeLi? It probably needs a real ext2 partition to work (please correct me if that's not true).
So what to choose, Puppy, DeLi, or something else? Knoppix 3.4 works on that laptop, but KDE needs about an hour to load, so I use xfce, which is also relatively slow (but usable).

MU

#10 Post by MU »

Puppy uses JWM, which is much faster than Xfce.
So if Xfce works usable, Jwm might be a improvement concerning speed.

Just try it out, if you are not satisfied, you might try to dig deeper into Deli.

For Debianpackages:
Beside "undeb" to extract them, we have an installer, that works fine with many debs, even though they never were intended to work in Puppy.

Mark

papa ku

#11 Post by papa ku »

Is Midnight Commander included in default install, or I have to download it separately?
And how resource-hungry is Fvwm95, is it more or less resource-hungry than JWM?

WhoDo

#12 Post by WhoDo »

papa ku wrote:Is Midnight Commander included in default install, or I have to download it separately?
You have to download it separately. You might find Xfe more to your liking anyway.

Can't describe any resource issues with your two preferred window managers. I use and prefer IcewmUltra with Vista_Black theme. :D