bad keyboard mapping on Toshiba laptop and fat32, ext2 mount

Booting, installing, newbie
halfbubble

bad keyboard mapping on Toshiba laptop and fat32, ext2 mount

#1 Post by halfbubble »

Problem is that keystrokes on Toshiba laptop are not producing the correct characters. The computer :?: has a 1.2 GHz processor, 40 MB HD (which is divided into 2 NTFS partions, one FAt32 and one Ext2 partitions created by System Commander) and 256 MB ram. The live cd was burned using Nero 6. Somewhere in these forums I've read about someone having similar problems. The image was retrieved from ibiblio.org, checksum was OK, and this is a first time download and burn. Repeated setting of keyboard country and type in the wizard do not usually help. Oddly, sometimes the keyboard is almost right (only top row is off) other times I'm getting European accented characters and others that are nonsensical. Later I booted a Ubuntu live cd and it produced the European type characters to check and then set to US style after the manual mapping. So far Windows XP seems unaffected. Any solutions?
Puppy automatically mounts the fat32 partion, treating it like a fat16, but does not do so to the Ext2 parttition. I'd like to change this around.
On the upside, Puppy boots fast and seems to have just about everything I need on a portable Linux system. I'm looking forward to working with multi-session burns.

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

I can't help you with the first chunk of your problem - sounds like you might have to bite the bullet and get yourself another copy of the Puppy CD (I could be wrong, maybe wait and see if anyone else has any other suggestions).

Puppy auto-mounts your FAT drive? Weird.

This is the line I put in /etc/rc.d/rc.local;

mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/linux2 ext2 defaults 0 0

because I wanted it mounted, but not my fat partition. It seems to work for me!

Anyhow, good luck with your keyboard, and I hope that that helps! Oh, if your fat drive is being auto mounted, check in /etc/fstab, make sure it doesn't say auto anywhere.
:D :D :D :D
Freedom isn't just a Puppy-Linux forum member!