Replacements for Windows programs?

Booting, installing, newbie
2byte

#1 Post by 2byte »

Greetings to all.

I have been a Dos & Windows user for more than 15 years. I have also been unhappy with Windows for the past several years. Recently I had to buy a new computer that came with XP and after using it for a few months I made up my mind that it would be the last OS that I would buy (excuse me, lease) from MS. Linux has intrigued me in the past but my disastrous experiences trying to install and use a couple of different distributions were less than encouraging. A few weeks ago I decided to see if things had improved in the Linux world and shortly after that is when I discovered Puppy. Hooray! The only thing I had to do to get Puppy going was to install a Linux compatible pci modem. Finally, I have a Linux OS that I can use!

Now the hard part for me will be to find comparable replacements for the applications that I use for work. So far Open Office will replace the Office97 suite, except for the Access97 database. Xfe for Windows Explorer, FireFox and Thunderbird for Internet Explorer and Outlook. Now only three major obstacles remain, Access97, WinFax Pro and AutoCad 2000 (2D only). I imagine that Access97 will be a tough one.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest some appropriate replacements for these three programs.

dewdrop

#2 Post by dewdrop »

Hi 2byte
You might take a look at this thread that talks about a program called QCad that apparently works in Puppy.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... light=qcad

You did not indicate which version of Puppy you are using.

I'm using the newer Puppy Linux Professional - it comes with the Open Office Suite of programs. One of those programs is called Base - which is the OpenOffice Database program.

I'm not sure if there is a separate program for sending faxes in Puppy or not - a quick check of Writer (Open Offices' document program) did not reveal a way to send a document as a fax.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Puppy Linux.

dewdrop

MU

#3 Post by MU »

A quick forumsearch for "fax" showed me this:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6784

OO Base requires to install Java.
Maybe Access works with wine.
If not, search the forum for "crossover" to find a commercial version of wine with support for Microsoft Office.

If you have already databases made with access, this might be the best solution, I think there isn't yet a tool to import them to similar programs (but I might be wrong).

Mark

Béèm

#4 Post by Béèm »

These are the databases OOo Base can connect directly to:
Attachments
OOo_base.png
(59.59 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

WhoDo

Re: Replacements for Windows programs?

#5 Post by WhoDo »

2byte wrote:Now only three major obstacles remain, Access97, WinFax Pro and AutoCad 2000 (2D only). I imagine that Access97 will be a tough one.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest some appropriate replacements for these three programs.
QCad will work for the AutoCad. I've used it and it works a treat. Can't help with the WinFax Pro, but you might find a Linux version is available for that. I doubt it will run under wine because of the hardware access it requires.

Access 97 will run under wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator); a windows replacement for Linux. If you'd prefer something easier but just as powerful, FileMaker Pro works under wine. If you'd prefer something cheaper - ie FREE - look for GLOM, which is fussy to install but is basically FileMaker Pro for Linux. I don't particularly like OOO Base - it's difficult to use - perhaps moreso than even Access - but it is very, very powerful.

Hope that helps.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

i haven't tried it, but i think kexi can import access files. it might be included in one of mu's kde versions?

http://www.kexi-project.org/

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

muggins wrote:i haven't tried it, but i think kexi can import access files. it might be included in one of mu's kde versions?

http://www.kexi-project.org/
Indeed it can! It's about a 52Mb install, if you load it from source rather than MU's dotpup file. Haven't seen the dotpup file you mentioned listed anywhere in MU's software installer though.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

52Mbytes!! Oh well...throw that idea in rubbish bin. i just checked on linuxpackages & they don't have a kexi package there.

2byte

#9 Post by 2byte »

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

efax and efax-gtk have been downloaded as well as QCad. I'll try to install them this weekend.

I've had OO on windows for several months and could never come close to using my Access databases with it. Kexi looks like a great replacement for Access. Right now I'm using puppy-2.10r1-seamonkey as a liveCd and using a USB stick for the save file. Would the Debian binary of Kexi be the one to use? Is there any information available on installing and configuring Kexi for Puppy?

ndujoe1

efax

#10 Post by ndujoe1 »

If you have a standard hardware modem that Linux likes, efax works very well. I use it all the time. for sending and receving.

Joe

dewdrop

#11 Post by dewdrop »

Hi again 2byte

Have you looked at this program to get a handle on your Access requirements?

http://packages.debian.org/stable/gnome/mdbtools-gmdb

dewdrop