Wireless Connection keeps going down

Booting, installing, newbie
RogerP

Wireless Connection keeps going down

#1 Post by RogerP »

I have puppy linux 2.6.33.2 on my wife's Dell Laptop and it keeps dropping the wireless connection, does not remember the wireless router, does not remember the password, and sometimes one has to reconfigure the wireless module to get it to connect when starting up. Needless to say this is one frustrating experience! My wife does not want anything to do with it and I can't blame her.

I've tried installing the "stay-connect" module, but if anything, it made it worse!

What can I do?

Roger :(

chapchap70

#2 Post by chapchap70 »

Take what I say with a grain of salt but if you want to try some things before someone with more knowledge can reply I can offer these suggestions:

If you have been cutting and pasting your password into the password field from a file, try keying it in.

Try Frisbee; it should be in the package manager if you can get it.

If your wife's laptop is new, (within the last year) try a Puppy with a newer kernel like Slacko. (I believe it has 3.10.x)

In the meantime, people who know better will most likely ask for info about your Network Controller. Type the command "lspci -nn" in a terminal to give them the product ID code and post it.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

First thing is tell us what the computer specs are.
How are you running Puppy?
From a frugal install or full install?

If frugal install. Have you made a save file?

From what you have provided. I think you are using Lucid Puppy 5.2.8, but the specific Puppy version would help a lot!!

For problems like you are having.
Make sure you have a good download of the Puppy iso file.
Do a fresh new install.
(bad installs do happen)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)