How do I get write permission for NTFS disk in puppy slacko?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mahaju

How do I get write permission for NTFS disk in puppy slacko?

#1 Post by mahaju »

I am using Puppy Slacko 5.6 on a live USB
The Win7 files on my laptop hard disk seems to have become corrupted and does not boot up
I wanted to backup some files in the C drive to D
So I booted using Slacko on the USB drive
However, when I try to copy files from C drive to D drive, I get an error it is a read only filesystem and does not let me copy or create a directory
How do I get write permission on my disk?

Also trying to mount the disk seems to take a long time
I thought it was because the hard disks had a lot of files, but trying to view them in gparted or issuing fdisk -l in the terminal also takes a long time as well
Is there anything that can be done about this?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hmm does not sound healhy..

First question is are there files you need to recover or is it just a case of restoring windows?

The condition of the disk to me suggests only data recovery would be possible unless you can boot something to run a ntfs chkdsk.... and recover to some external drive not itself.

The slowness of fdisk is not a good sign.

Windows as standard beats the hell out of hard drives and 2.5 inch ones don't like such treatment.... how old is it?

The tools testdisk and photorec are handy to have around.

I am sure others will chime in

mike

simargl5

#3 Post by simargl5 »

Did your hard disk became corrupted after you tried to resize windows partition with gparted, or it happened just after mounting that partition. Anyhow that is very serious issue caused by Slacko Puppy, and reason to be worried if you don't have safe backup of your files. You mean now Windows is not booting at all? :?
___
edit:
You could use second USB and copy files from C to that flash drive, then reinstall Windows.

mahaju

#4 Post by mahaju »

windows started freezing up from time to time and yesterday after a blue screen it wouldn't even boot up
The screen reaches the point where it should show the animated windows logo, but it just freezes at that point
I can mount and view the the hard disk files through puppy linux, but it's real slow
I was just wondering if I could copy a few files from the C drive to D drive, then may be install windows XP on it

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

You describe a failing hard drive ...thats not a definate but I don't think installing XP to it would be of much benefit (it would most likely fail as it is.)

I ran a netbook with windows on a SD card for a while (and of course linux)... USBoot was what I used.

mike

mahaju

#6 Post by mahaju »

The hard drive is around 2.5~3 years old (came with the laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium preinstalled)

What is USBoot? Did you mean this one?
http://www.boot-us.com/

Do you think it is possible? (Installing Windows on an sdcard I mean)
May be I could get a 32 GB sdcard or something, and install Windows XP on it, then use the hard disk for data storage for as long as it works

Alternatively, is there any way I may fix the hard disk through some software?

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

does sound like protective behavior by slacko to Not damage a already corrupt disk. you need to get a replacement harddrive as large or larger and do a direct copy with dd command from bad to good and see if the newer one can recover. That is the only safe action. major hardrive manufacturers have lowlevel tools, seagate has a bootable iso file that is found on its website burn like you would any boot iso like slacko. Good luck and lots of coffee

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

http://www.usboot.org/tiki-index.php
USBoot... its less daunting than it sounds... you can apply it to an existing or freshly made install (I did one using a virtual machine) and then its cloned to the SD card or memory stick (which you make bootable as you would for puppy using say grub to boot it or even use the windows bootloader.) . It can also be cloned to a hard drive.

I did it a few years ago and have a copy on a usb stick as a handy fixit tool and quick way to install a replacement copy of XP.

I suppose there is a possibility of a virus that has messed up the drive but the best way to deal with that would be a reformat.

mike

mahaju

#9 Post by mahaju »

Update:
Looks like I didn't pay attention to it before, but I get this error message when I click on the sda1 icon on the desktop (after waiting for a long while):
The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
Failed to write lock '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable
Error opening '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only.
in a dialogue box with a red background

I suppose that explains why it is read only

Clicking OK on this dialogue box does not open the contents of the drive immediately in the file explorer though, it's still real slow

I was able to see the disk contents on command line using something called NTFS for DOS (it was one of the boot softwares in a DVD I had made a long while ago, called Ultimate Windows boot CD) so I still have hope of recovering some files. The problem was that most of the files were on the desktop, My documents, My pictures, etc. In windows 7 they are in a folder called Users in c:, but this folder did not show up in NTFS for DOS.

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

does sound like a near death hardrive you really need to move as much of the hardrive as possible as soon as possible. I see you have a laptop so a usb hardrive larger than one inside laptop.

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/mnt/usbdrive/win7.ntfs bs=2M

also this is the recovery option on the install disc I hope you got with laptops

anikin

#11 Post by anikin »

I would first try to a boot from a different OS to see if that makes a difference. There are tons of various rescue CDs, like this one, for example:http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage.
Also look here:http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... s_computer

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

try the Seagate iso if it is not one of there's it will tell you what companies harddrive it is

mahaju

#13 Post by mahaju »

For some reason the Internet stopped workig with my Slacko live USB so I might be a little late to reply now unless I can get this sorted out
Could you please tell me what is the name of the software for Seagate iso?
Is it this one?
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Laptop-HDD ... td-p/95548
or is it this one?
http://www.seagate.com/support/download ... os-master/

Ted Dog

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

the dos master one is the bootable one the windows versions bloat to 100megs of added downloads. dos is best for you. however thans for the other link I have the hybrid momentous seagate id like to check before moving win8 on it

mahaju

#15 Post by mahaju »

I need some suggestions
Do you think I will be able to use Windows on this computer if I get a new hard drive? Can I know for certain that there isn't a problem between something between the hard drive and the motherboard? Or does replacing the harddrive replace everything needed to interface the motherboard to the hard drive? (This is a Compaq 620 laptop)

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

I'm no super-expert, but...
mahaju wrote:windows started freezing up from time to time and yesterday after a blue screen it wouldn't even boot up
The screen reaches the point where it should show the animated windows logo, but it just freezes at that point
a. In the past, I used to run Win2000Pro installed on a FAT32 partition.

b. Now and then, there would be an "improper-power-off", which would corrupt the "partition-file-system" [PFS].
At next boot, if I was lucky, [the possibly corrupted] Windows would succeed in getting to the point where it would auto-run chkdsk, to scan&fix the PFS.
BUT...
Rather than allow this, I would normally [prior to attempting to boot Windows] scan&fix the Windows PFS using GParted->check.
Only once did that fail, and then I used "Disk check" run within the MiniXP of "Falcon Four's UBCD" [which NEVER failed].

c. Doing this may have created "orphan-file-fragments".
[Usually this didn't happen, and all was well; NTFS should be even better]
Such broken/incomplete [system?] files would then fail to fulfill their function.
This [1st stage of file] corruption might produce some strange effects.
The OS might no longer function fully/normally.
It might display a "blue-screen-of-death".
Once corruption has been introduced the corruption tends to increase.
If I was lucky there might appear to be no nasties; but may have been lurking unseen beneath the surface.

d. To get back to an uncorrupted system, I'd need to either:
d1. Restore an image backup of a clean/uncorrupted PFS+folders+files made and restored using a 3rd-party OS+program.
OR...
d2. Repair the PFS [using either GParted, or chkdsk->(run within Falcon Four's UBCD->MiniXP)], then...
Use xfe, to...
Delete all the folders/files on the Windows partition, then restore a backup copy [of all of the contents of the Windows partition] made when all was well.

2. If you do not have ANY backups of the Windows partition contents:
You could instead...
Prior to attempting a scan&fix of the PFS...
Clone your internal HDD...
To [for example] an external USB connected HDD, of the same size or greater.
Here's how I cloned using ddrescue.
That was the first time I'd used it, and ddrescue did a GREAT job.
It cloned the source HDD even though it had bad sectors.
Deals with the easy regions 1st, then moves on to the difficult regions.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Do you think I will be able to use Windows on this computer if I get a new hard drive? Can I know for certain that there isn't a problem between something between the hard drive and the motherboard? Or does replacing the harddrive replace everything needed to interface the motherboard to the hard drive? (This is a Compaq 620 laptop)
Its extremely rare for the hard drive interface to fail.... the drive itself is a mechanical device with a finite lifespan and unfortunately standard windows with antivirus installs thrash the drive constantly which will considerably shorten lifespan.

You have all the symptoms of a failing drive ... its slow even to do a quick device scan even so replacement should make for a happy machine.
You might consider using a ssd instead as they are quite robust and prices have come down.

mike