Should we fork Samba?

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Moose On The Loose

Should we fork Samba?

#1 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I downloaded the source for Samba hoping to compile it. As is often the case, the ./configure was not happy until I installed a bunch of other stuff and then even getting past the ./configure, it would not compile. This set me looking at what is all in there. It could do all we need on puppy, I think, if the following was done:

1) All of the security and user name and password stuff could be handled by an external script (bash or sh). For the common home user, the script can be one that just ignores its arguments and says "yes that is fine". More advanced ones can check the user name and password with a method of choice. This could include calling another optional program.

1A) The "security = " line in smb.conf can select the script

1B) The script could also deal with mounting a share if required

2) All explicit or implicit demands for Python can be taken out of the build process by just having those functions done by execing the right external interpreter for the script files supplied. This way, the "devel headers" for python would not be needed even if the user wanted to do scripts in python.

3) I think some libraries can be combined. It looks like there are way more than is likely needed.

gcmartin

SAMBA 4+ for PUPs

#2 Post by gcmartin »

I am no expert of compilation or packaging. But, I think 01Micko has solved this...at least in Slacko. No forking needed. And, it's fully functional.

In fact, his latest test for SAMBA 4.1 PET for Slacko yields a 15MB which is certainly well within the means of most of today's internet downloads while providing several orders of magnitude in SMB/CIFS functionality.

Might be worth a look for PUPPY distro developers. Puppy/Linux users do not have to be a lower order citizen on the ability to access/share on the LAN anymore.

Hope this helps

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

gcmartin - 15MB still seems like a monstrosity to me. Is that using all the sorts of tricks that the guys used with earlier versions?
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01705
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01700

MOTL - if you aren't already aware of it, you should check out samba-tng - e.g. see that second link and http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01724.
And when you just need a samba client I think there are other options, like tinysmb.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

disciple wrote:gcmartin - 15MB still seems like a monstrosity to me. I....
TNG is a good packaging. TNG was started when the author was upset that he couldn't get old SAMBA to change to his modular model.

New SAMBA, version 4, now about year old, has been rewritten by the world's contributors from the ground-up. It is modular and it brings ALL SMB protocols to the table as well. The world spent 6 years from its architecture to its delivery addressing all of the issues of a modern Linux subsystem taking advantage of the many new Linux features as well as other LAN needs that was/is missing in old SAMBA and TNG. The most important things is what was done for security and stability.

New devices which use these protocols with Microsoft and MACs also, now, participate not knowing its SAMBA. And, there are many other things which can make SAMBA useful.

BTW, since when did 15MB become a monstrosity. I have never heard such.

Its stable, its worldwide with knowledgeable people to help, it is fast, its ... well, you get the picture.

There is nothing wrong with SAMBA, as the original Australian author, Andrew Tridgell, worked in concert with Linus Tovalds in its outset and stays in concert with Linux development, today. As far as I know, that exchange continues.

Bashing one product in favor or another may not be what this thread started as. (notice that I have not done so). So drawing attention to the old SAMBA doesn't match what I shared earlier about the new, now current, SAMBA. There are articles both in and out of this forum on SAMBA use. And, it is included OOTB by 3 Puppy distro owners with no one reported issues of stability or security thus far.

I think, though, the OP of this thread may have been looking at the version 3 "SAMBA" product when considering a fork. With Version 4, that may not be necessary.

Peace be with you.

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

Thanks for another lecture/rant :roll:
I think, though, the OP of this thread may have been looking at the version 3 "SAMBA" product when considering a fork.
Probably.
With Version 4, that may not be necessary.
??
But they're talking about a fork to avoid (or shrink) Version 4...
Moose On The Loose wrote:Should we fork Samba
I forgot that I meant to say: what exactly are you envisioning? I very much doubt you have the resources or the desire to maintain a proper fork (I guess this is something gcmartin and I would actually agree on :) ).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Moose On The Loose

#6 Post by Moose On The Loose »

gcmartin wrote:
disciple wrote:gcmartin - 15MB still seems like a monstrosity to me. I....
TNG is a good packaging. TNG was started when the author was upset that he couldn't get old SAMBA to change to his modular model.
I have version 528.
I went to the PPM and tried both of the 3.X versions there and neither would work. In both cases, an XP machine could not see the shared files on the Puppy.
New SAMBA, version 4, now about year old, has been rewritten by the world's contributors from the ground-up. It is modular and it brings ALL SMB protocols to the table as well.
I down loaded and tried a pet file that I believe was the samba-4 TNG version. It also did not work but did not work in a different manner than the version 3.X that I had tried.

Unfortunately the exact errors have now run off the log files.

I remembered that I had a different samba-3.X that I had made some years back and tried it and it worked fine.

I went so far as to download the source for samba-4 to see if I could find a configure option that would get me past the issue. When I tried to get that to compile, I had no luck at all. Even after trying to make it happy for several days, I had no luck so I just abandoned the effort and went back to the old 3.X version.

If someone has a samba-4 pet that works on puppy-528, please post a path to it and I'll give it a go.
The world spent 6 years from its architecture to its delivery addressing all of the issues of a modern Linux subsystem taking advantage of the many new Linux features as well as other LAN needs that was/is missing in old SAMBA and TNG. The most important things is what was done for security and stability.
If the wife can't get at my files, it sure is secure but passing memory sticks back and forth gets a little tiresome.

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

the samba-4 TNG version
AFAIK this doesn't make sense. Samba-tng forked from Samba in 1999 or 2000, and there is no correlation between the version numbers, and samba-tng has been pretty dead for a while anyway.
an XP machine could not see the shared files on the Puppy
Well, that's very unlikely to be an inherent problem with the software... if you have them configured right, XP has been able to connect to Samba ever since XP was released.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

If it will help, I "think" I may have a SAMBA 3.55 or 3.56 that was built for your PUP few years ago. If its what you want, let me know, and I'll try to locate it. The one I have was designed by @Mobeus and there's a description and write-up somewhere in the forum.

@Shinobar also did a similar version as well but, my success was with @Mobeus's back then.

Here to help

BTW, I dont have any 5.28s CD around anymore, BUT, what exactly is the message you're getting. One idea that was a tell-tale sign of confusion in the past is when you run "testparm" from a terminal. Run that and let us know. It may be something simple in path-ing. The problem in the past was when different members built it, they do NOT use any consistent filesystem stores and this has been a source of confusion since the beginning. Over the last couple of years, it appears that both 01Micko and TaZoC (and Pemasu) has used consistent filesystem approaches and paths, while some others have not.

Moose On The Loose

#9 Post by Moose On The Loose »

disciple wrote:
the samba-4 TNG version
AFAIK this doesn't make sense. Samba-tng forked from Samba in 1999 or 2000, and there is no correlation between the version numbers, and samba-tng has been pretty dead for a while anyway.
an XP machine could not see the shared files on the Puppy
Well, that's very unlikely to be an inherent problem with the software... if you have them configured right, XP has been able to connect to Samba ever since XP was released.
I am not saying that XP can't connect to samba. I am saying that the copy of samba I have that is a variation of samba.3.0.26 works just fine. I install it and the XP machine sees it just fine. Neither of the copies of samba in the PPM worked. The one I down loaded the source for was samba-4.1.0 which would not compile and the one I found as a pet package with the "tng" in the name did not work when installed.

My test for working is to do a clean boot of the Live-CD and then install the software onto the un-modified system and do a reboot. If a program does not work at that point, I look for instructions to make it work. If I find any instructions, I follow them carefully.

Moose On The Loose

#10 Post by Moose On The Loose »

[quote="gcmartin"]If it will help, I "think" I may have a SAMBA 3.55 or 3.56 that was built for your PUP few years ago. If its what you want, let me know, and I'll try to locate it. The one I have was designed by @Mobeus and there's a description and write-up somewhere in the forum.

@Shinobar also did a similar version as well but, my success was with @Mobeus's back then.

I have a solution that works on my machine. My request for a link was a request for a link to the version mentioned in the earlier comment that was the newly created and modular version.

I've tried the samba-full-3.6.1 from the PPM and samba-3.5.6-lucid also from the PPM. Neither of these worked with the XP machine. It seems that neither of these have some "msg" file that I assume is used to give useful error messages and complained that that file was missing and then reported an error message that seemed to have no meaning other than "its broken".

gcmartin

Setup and testing SAMBA on your 528 distro

#11 Post by gcmartin »

OK, I think we "may" be able to help identify the problem. Iff I understand correctly "you have a PUP528 with a version 3 SAMBA installed from its PPM without error messages".

Assuming that is the case, please open a terminal. I am curious to see what message you get from this command in the terminal:

Code: Select all

# testparm
Please post the output.
It will start to shed some light on whether SAMBA, its tools, and the smb.conf syntax is OK.

Assuming you dont get any "alarming" errors after you post back here, then do the following steps
  1. Exit X to the console
  2. type "passwd" and set the root password (remember what you set)
  3. next type "smbpasswd" -a and set the SAME password AGAIN!
  4. type "logout" to restart X Puppy desktop
Now, you can test that your PC will allow use of your SAMBA resources. This is done in a terminal by:

# smbclient -L localhost
Assuming this works and you do NOT have your firewall turned ON!!!, you can go to any LAN machine and access this PC with a level of comfort that it will work..OOTB.

At a Windows PC
you "may" have to enter your PUP's IP address and you also will need to use root as the username.

ONCE all of your testing is complete, you can then, at Puppy, address any firewall issues should you re-activate.

Does this help? Please post back and let us in the forum know.

Moose On The Loose

Re: Setup and testing SAMBA on your 528 distro

#12 Post by Moose On The Loose »

gcmartin wrote:OK, I think we "may" be able to help identify the problem. Iff I understand correctly "you have a PUP528 with a version 3 SAMBA installed from its PPM without error messages".

Assuming that is the case, please open a terminal. I am curious to see what message you get from this command in the terminal:

# testparm
Please post the output.
It will start to shed some light on whether SAMBA, its tools, and the smb.conf syntax is OK.
I am running on the working version of samba right now.
On this first test I get:

sh-4.1# testparm
Load smb config files from /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf
Processing section "[video]"
Processing section "[sounds]"
Processing section "[printers]"
map_file: Failed to load /opt/samba/lib/valid.dat - No such file or directory
creating default valid table
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
after enter:

[global]
	workgroup = RANKEN
	server string = Samba Server
	map to guest = Bad User
	log file = /var/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	message command = /usr/local/bin/LinPopUp "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s
	guest ok = Yes

[video]
	comment = video when mounted
	path = /mnt/sdc1
	read only = No
	inherit acls = Yes

[sounds]
	comment = sounds when mounted
	path = /mnt/sda3/sounds
	inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /usr/spool/samba
	guest ok = No
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

Assuming you dont get any "alarming" errors after you post back here, then do the following steps
  1. Exit X to the console
  2. type "passwd" and set the root password (remember what you set)
  3. next type "smbpasswd" -a and set the SAME password AGAIN!
  4. type "logout" to restart X Puppy desktop
Now, you can test that your PC will allow use of your SAMBA resources. This is done in a terminal by:

# smbclient -L localhost
Assuming this works and you do NOT have your firewall turned ON!!!, you can go to any LAN machine and access this PC with a level of comfort that it will work..OOTB.

At a Windows PC
you "may" have to enter your PUP's IP address and you also will need to use root as the username.

ONCE all of your testing is complete, you can then, at Puppy, address any firewall issues should you re-activate.

Does this help? Please post back and let us in the forum know.
I have to get to work now. I'll do the reboot on LiveCD later to try the copies on PPM with these tonight.

BTW: The version I am running needed no additional steps to make it work. I just installed it and it went.

Moose On The Loose

#13 Post by Moose On The Loose »

gcmartin wrote:OK, I think we "may" be able to help identify the problem. Iff I understand correctly "you have a PUP528 with a version 3 SAMBA installed from its PPM without error messages".
Further results:

Step 0:
Boot live CD
Installing samba_full-3.6.1-s

Step 1:
--- testparm

h-4.1# testparm
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[puppyserver]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

[global]
server string = Puppy Samba Server
map to guest = Bad Password
printcap name = cups
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[puppyserver]
path = /mnt/home
read only = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
print ok = Yes
browseable = No
sh-4.1#

Step 2:
--- Exit X to the console
At console

Step 3:
--- type "passwd" and set the root password (remember what you set)
made password bogus

Step 4:
--- next type "smbpasswd" -a and set the SAME password AGAIN!
*** I assume that should be "smbpasswd -a"
smbpassword bogus

Step 5:
--- type "logout" to restart X Puppy desktop
logout has no effect. I get the "#" prompt again.
I did "xwin" and it worked

Step 6:
--- smbclient -L localhost
Enter root's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.1]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
puppyserver Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Puppy Samba Server)
CUPS-PDF Printer CUPS-PDF
pdf_writer Printer PDF
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.1]

Server Comment
--------- -------
PUPPYPC Puppy Samba Server

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
RANKEN RANDYNEW
WORKGROUP PUPPYPC
sh-4.1#

Step 7:
Look at XP machine
Look in folder for the puppy in the "My network places"
\\PUPPYPC\puppyserver is not accessable. You might not have permission to
use this network resource. Contact the system adminastrator of this server
to find out if you have access permissions.

The network name cannot be found

Just to check that all is well otherwise
Step 8:
Reboot from LiveCD
install may pet for samba

Step 9:sh-4.1# smbclient -L localhost
Password:
Domain=[PUPPYPC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
kendocs Disk kendocs
video Disk video when mounted
sounds Disk sounds when mounted
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server)
Domain=[PUPPYPC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
RANKEN

Step 10:
Go to XP machine

Troll around on my machine without any problem

gcmartin

#14 Post by gcmartin »

hI @Moose On The Loose

The following work is to be done on the PUP528 with your SAMBA 3.61 installed.
I'm going to assume you have a folder that is /mnt/home. Right? if so,
open a terminal and
  1. type

# ls /mnt/home
    to insure you have some files present.
  2. next type

# smbclient \\\\localhost\\puppyserver
    enter your bogas password. Assuming your password is correct, you will land at a "SMB>" prompt. Type

ls
    at the prompt to insure you see the same files you saw in step 1, above.
  3. At the SMB prompt, type

exit
    to quit.
This insures that your server is working properly and "serving" your folder as you expect.

Your PUP528 is ready for any action your LAN PCs can throw at it. It is functioning and active.

Find out your IP address

# ip address
and use it from Windows instead of the PUP528's hostname.

Let us know.

[/code]

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

Moose: The smb.conf for your working setup has this:

preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
Many Puppy Samba packages have these set to No and there have been other reports of it not working that way.

So that would be the first change I would try with the non-working Sambas.

Moose On The Loose

#16 Post by Moose On The Loose »

rcrsn51 wrote:Moose: The smb.conf for your working setup has this:

preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
Many Puppy Samba packages have these set to No and there have been other reports of it not working that way.

So that would be the first change I would try with the non-working Sambas.
In the past, I have tried copying the smb.conf from the working to the non-working version. It made no difference, right down to the same error message on the XP machine.

Moose On The Loose

#17 Post by Moose On The Loose »

gcmartin wrote:hI @Moose On The Loose

open a terminal and
  1. type

# ls /mnt/home
  2. next type

enter your bogas password. Assuming your password is correct, you will land at a "SMB>" prompt. Type

ls
  3. At the SMB prompt, type

exit
    to quit.
This insures that your server is working properly and "serving" your folder as you expect.

Your PUP528 is ready for any action your LAN PCs can throw at it. It is functioning and active.

Find out your IP address

# ip address

Let us know.

[/code]
Before following below, I checked that my version was working.
It functioned normally.
The XP Machine was rebooted sinc last tests

open a terminal and

Step 1:
type
Code:
# ls /mnt/home
Listed some files

next type
Code:

Step 2:
Code:
ls
Listed what appears to be the same files

At the SMB prompt, type
Code:
exit
to quit.

Step 3:
Find out your IP address
Code:
# ip address

XP Machine shows same error message.

Also:
The /var has
/var/log/ No samba stuff in there
/var/samba/log/ empty dir

/var/log.smbd **************
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2011
[2013/11/15 18:17:11.988335, 0] lib/util_sock.c:602(open_socket_in)
open_socket_in(): socket() call failed: Address family not supported by protocol
[2013/11/15 18:17:11.988462, 0] smbd/server.c:569(smbd_open_one_socket)
smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address family not supported by protocol
[2013/11/15 18:17:11.993087, 0] lib/util_sock.c:602(open_socket_in)
open_socket_in(): socket() call failed: Address family not supported by protocol
[2013/11/15 18:17:11.993160, 0] smbd/server.c:569(smbd_open_one_socket)
smbd_open_once_socket: open_socket_in: Address family not supported by protocol
[2013/11/15 03:17:40, 0] smbd/server.c:1045(main)

/var/log.nmbd **************************
nmbd version 3.6.1 started.
[2013/11/15 18:17:11, 0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:250(create_subnets)
create_subnets: No local IPv4 non-loopback interfaces !
[2013/11/15 18:17:11, 0] nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:251(create_subnets)
create_subnets: Waiting for an interface to appear ...
[2013/11/15 18:17:38, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:66(terminate)
Got SIGTERM: going down...
[2013/11/15 03:17:40, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:860(main)
nmbd version 3.6.1 started.
[2013/11/15 03:18:03, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)

Samba name server PUPPYPC is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.0.2

Reboot to working samba and all is well again

I think I'll just leave it. I have something that works

technosaurus

#18 Post by technosaurus »

Both the samba and wine developers are clueless of how to properly share libraries. The build contains multiple static libs that are linked to several times by several different libraries. If they were smart, they would combine all the tiny static libs into one shared lib and link all the binaries against that (as the default for most distros) ...
... but samba goes a step further and defaults to larger position independent code across the board.

Fortunately we are Puppy and most people only need the client and a few others which can be built extremely small.
For workarounds see:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01705
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01703

... however, if anyone is interested, I did fork samba at the last GPL2 commit here:
https://github.com/technosaurus/samba
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gcmartin

WOOF-CE

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Technosaurus

I think 01Micko is or has already built SAMBA v4+ for 32bit Pups (at least for Slacko and Precise). I am not sure if his contribution is destined for WOOF-CE or not, but maybe. We may want to confer with him on current status. I have already tested one of his latest in his latest Slackos including 5.6s and upcoming 5.7s. In his SAMBA versions, he presents a "firstrun" which makes it simple and easy for any newbie to start sharing a folder to the LAN with some Simple understanding of what one is doing.

TaZoC has built 64bit SAMBA V4+

SAMBA allows any Linux PC to participate on a LAN such that your content, created/captured, can be extended for other users or LAN PCs....easily since all Windows and Macs have this sharing built-in. It will just show up in their Network resources Window.

We are just starting to see more and more PUP users adding SAMBA to allow the PC to share with their other PCs, NASs, and smart-devices(xPhones/xTablets/xTVs). Because of this addition to the base system, it allows the system to also be a NAS server, Backup and Restore server, media server, as well as a simple sharing operation without ever needing to change any other LAN PC or device.

Hope this helps

technosaurus

#20 Post by technosaurus »

I split it into samba3 and samba4
https://github.com/technosaurus/samba3-GPL2
https://github.com/technosaurus/samba4-GPL2
v4 has the LDAP server stuff that is missing in v3 but is "unstable"
... I also forked gcc and binutils at their last GPL2 commit
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].