Afterstep 2.2.8 window manager .pet

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Eyes-Only

#21 Post by Eyes-Only »

I see you found the "NASA Theme" a friend of mine made for Firefox eh PuppyLover? ;) Awesome theme. I used to run that a lot myself. However, I use SeaMonkey the most (even before coming to Puppy) and so I mainly use either a theme or two by my friend "Incognu" or "Cat Thief" (the latter made "Mostly Crystal").

Anywho, you've been saying here several times in your thread about how AfterStep's "menus have needed changing over to Puppy's", and I guess I don't get what you're saying here? On my 4.0 where I installed AfterStep it did take on the full Puppy menu system. Are you saying yours didn't?

If it didn't do so I'm wondering if the fact that I had installed WindowMaker back a few months ago had anything to do with it as it came with the XDG_menu building files and it seems to have placed a bunch of "menu files" under ".GNUStep" in /root I see when taking a cursory glance there. I couldn't right now tell anything more without delving deeper.

I've just kinda found it odd you've been mentioning this whilst I have a fully-operational menu system is all?

I hope this helps you in some small way?

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

astrogreek

#22 Post by astrogreek »

I installed the .pet, but I don't see any new menu or anything different (also tried rebooting), what am I doing wrong?
Puppy 411 retro, also tried it on WNOP 4.1.

puppyluvr

#23 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
After installing the Pet, drop out of X (hit:CTRL / ALT / BKSPCE)
At the prompt (#) type:

xwin afterstep

and hit enter..
Puppy will boot into the Afterstep Window Manager
To show the root desktop, and enable the Afterstep backgrounds ect..
Turn off the ROX pinboard..
Open a console, (rxvt) and type:

rox -p=

and hit enter
To turn the pinboard back on , open rxvt and type:

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

and hit enter....

To return to jwm or icewm, drop out of X and type:

xwin jwm..........(or icewm, ect....)

and hit enter..
Hope this helps......
Also, the above can be cut-n-pasted into scripts for convenience, I call mine "roxon" and "roxoff"... 8)
Jay.....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Colonel Panic

#24 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks to you both (including WhoDo) for the very useful information. I've made the necessary changes to Rox's options now, it's very flexible and there's a lot to learn about it.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 17 Nov 2008, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

astrogreek

#25 Post by astrogreek »

puppyluvr: Thank you!

`f00

#26 Post by `f00 »

:) Not lite but full-flavored 'drinkability' - and yes, the docs add some (btw, I totally approve of local documentation since most raw recruits have experience not-so-good with guessing at times .. and AS may be fairly 'touchy' as far as mausing goes). Mmm, yes it does tend to start better from blackbox than jwm (yah, to do with killing the pinboard and/or driveicons or assorted jwm-stuff that's been poked in at various places). Just did a fresh add of it to a P412 retro CD (and it did not creak and groan like an EZ deal I tried once, lol) and it still survives on a somewhat corrupted frugal of P411standard (ouch, I got bit while flailing with another 411 deriv and sfssss and guessing wrong whilst cool advanced scripts were creating stale nfs handle things unbeknownst to moi;' `til I returned and had to deal with my ignorance and flailing) Anyhow, I should get back to reading that gr8 documentation and here's a try at embedding a shortdraft jpg-pic w/ some flecks in the head(;
(750ml of [pnghere).

`f00

#27 Post by `f00 »

Yep, AS (puppyluvr's dotpet) in P4.20-rc1 ..

One of the more interesting facets of having a 4-page virtual desktop (or two or three or four, not really "overkill" if one considers how easy it is to navigate them and how AS organizes windows) - with spanning and a 2 by 2 array, a 1024x768 display becomes effectively a 2048x1536 piece of real estate for each virtual desktop. Now that may just be of interest to notebooks or laptops with a smallish display . . . here's an embed of my pager with 2 virtual desks and some stuff on 'em

full-size @~670kb here if you like Orion - hey, the original jpg on that's 6k square, might be a stretch to make it work as a full 4-page wallpaper, or quarter it and do a section for each desk .. hmmz "DANGER, Will Robinson" :)

Colonel Panic

#28 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just discovered that it's possible to turn off the AfterStep modules from the menu, which solves the problem of restricted desktop space I mentioned above.

musher0

#29 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people.

AfterStep version 2.2.12 was published last June. I compiled it and made a pet of it,
available through here.

I compiled it on wary 5.5, but it should work on other Puppies since it does not rely
heavily on outside libraries. Please let me know.

At 13 Mg (32 Mg installed), it's a big application, but the result and originality of the
feel are worth it. (See attached picture.)

Enjoy!

musher0
Attachments
asdoc_screenshot.jpg
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 3447 times
Last edited by musher0 on Mon 09 May 2016, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Colonel Panic

#30 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just installed it now, thanks for the pet! AfterStep is one of my favourite WMs.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Pelo

Afterstep 2.2.8 bookmarked for later usage

#31 Post by Pelo »

Afterstep 2.2.8 bookmarked for later usage
Too busy now to try this new WM.
Custom-beryl even not tried.
But go on, it's the good way to keep interest in Puppy
Could you tell us more about Afterstep ?
Nous n'achetons pas les yeux fermés / We dont buy 'eyes closed'
Dom Pelo

Pelo

Afterstep on our nice Wolx version of Toutou France

#32 Post by Pelo »

november 2013, too Busy, :!: :?: retired from daily office database to fullfill with repairs, in COSWIN overhaul system

Happily three years later, i will at least try Afterstep on our nice Wolx version of Toutou France

musher0

#33 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

Since the limelinx sharing site is long gone, here are new download URLs for this
AfterStep window manager

https://www.adrive.com/public/P6NSVM/AS_dev-2.2.12.pet

https://www.adrive.com/public/Nhhu37/AS_dev-2.2.12.sfs

Please forgive me for not doing this sooner.

This time an sfs is also available, as you can see.

If you have a recent pup, you can rename or copy AS_dev-2.2.12.sfs to
ydrv_<Puppy and number>.sfs and it will be loaded automatically at boot-up along
with the zdrv and / or the adrv.

Here's an example: if your Puppy is slim_6, then the name of this window manager
package should become: ydrv_slim_6.sfs

If you have an older Pup, then leave the name as is and just load this sfs in the
usual way.

Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Note -- This AfterStep package was compiled on Slim_6, a Slacko-6.3.0 derivative.
If this is a problem, please let me know. I probably have the older compile for Wary
5.5 somewhere :) in my mess... :(
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)