Recent pups not booting in VBox as guests

Using applications, configuring, problems
01micko

Recent pups not booting in VBox as guests

#1 Post by 01micko »

Please report anything you have tried to get these late model pups booting in Virtual Box, especially if you have had success (unlikely methinks)

Late model Pups don't boot in VirtualBox (oracle, dunno about other hypervisors), including Slacko-5.6 and some flavours of Precise. EDIT: Qemu is OK.

Kmod is not the problem. It is something else, thanks for reports.

It stops at

Code: Select all

Making the filesystem usable..
The next call is "depmod".

I am attempting to debug this and I think it's to do with kmod.(EDIT: proven to be wrong). The call mentioned above happens in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and then there is a call to 'busybox depmod' which fails when kmod is installed, however this seems to be working ok in a real install. Slacko has used kmod ever since 5.4 and I had an adjustment in place to use kmod, yeah slower than busybox depmod but it works correctly. I need to know if Precise is using kmod.

You can find out by running:

which kmod
It will likey return /sbin/kmod. If no return then legacy module-init-tools is in use.

Post results of above command here if running any Precise and please post the Precise version you are running.

TIA

(Dear Flash, the original title was [REQUEST] Precise Users which I marked as solved when it turned out my hypothesis was wrong, I unmarked solved as I wish to delve further since it boots OK in Qemu, I expected failure. I've changed the title to be a bit more descriptive)
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 05:46, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

# grep -E "DISTRO_NAME|DISTRO_VERSION" /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
DISTRO_NAME='Precise Puppy'
DISTRO_VERSION=5.7.1
# uname -srv
Linux 3.9.11 #1 SMP Sat Jul 27 19:40:54 GMT-8 2013
# which kmod
# 
No output from which.

This post might also be of interest to you:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 426#724426

Puppus Dogfellow

#3 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

no output from 5.6.1

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

Ok thanks everyone, so that is not the problem.

npierce

Interesting thread. It is definitely something that happened either in the initrd or rc.sysinit since slacko-5.5 which boots perfectly in virtualbox. It is some bug there and it is not kernel dependent. The mystery remains... :?

EDIT

An interesting side note is that Slacko-5.6 does boot in Qemu, so I'm wondering why it fails so badly in VBox. Damn!

CatDude

#5 Post by CatDude »

Hello Mick
01micko wrote:Please report anything you have tried to get these late model pups booting in Virtual Box, especially if you have had success (unlikely methinks)

Late model Pups don't boot in VirtualBox (oracle, dunno about other hypervisors), including Slacko-5.6 and some flavours of Precise. EDIT: Qemu is OK.
Maybe i am reading the above wrong, but... No problems here booting either of these:
  • slacko-5.6-4G-NON-PAE.iso
    precise-5.7.1.iso
I am currently running Lighthouse64-6.02-B2.iso

CatDude
Attachments
vbox-about.png
Not the latest version, but it works for me.
(123.24 KiB) Downloaded 956 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

SFR

#6 Post by SFR »

Hi Mick

I also have never had a problem with booting the latest Slacko/Precise in VBox (now v4.2.18, Shinobar's SFS and Slacko as a host).
Yeah, I noticed that Precise is sometimes hanging during USB reads/writes, but it's a different story...

Hmm, I had to check this - I just booted into Win7 and still was able to launch Slacko-5.6 in VBox (v4.1.18, x86_64).

On the screenshot is the configuration of one of my virtual machines.
Host machine is Toshiba L505-138:
CPU - 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz
GPU - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (fglrx installed)
RAM - 3103MB (well, 4G really, but 1G is overlapped by VRAM and I'm running NON_PAE)

HTH
Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(50.63 KiB) Downloaded 894 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

All right then, its looking more like a cpu problem (the flag v not the flag as my intel test box doesn't have the flag [like most budget machines] and therefore something has changed to tick them off)

What I find intriguing is that slacko-.5.5 boots perfectly but thinslacko (only a few weeks older) does not. Anyway, I'm on my AMD box atm (which probably works) so I'll build vbox in slackware32 (have slackware64 and win7-64 on the intel, tested puppy vbox guests with both) and see what happens. Said AMD works fine with all hypervisors as it has the hardware flag.

As I understand it, 32 bit guests should work whether the cpu flag for virtualisation is there or not (as far as 64 bit processors go, eg core2-duo).

Still.. a fun one to figure out. :P

smokey01

#8 Post by smokey01 »

I've had no problems booting various new Puppy's in VBox such as:
slacko-5.6-4G-NON-PAE.iso & PAE version
precise-5.7.1.iso

I'm using Fatdog64-611 & Vbox 4.2.6. Yeah I know it's getting a bit old but it works fine.

01micko

#9 Post by 01micko »

smokey01 wrote:I've had no problems booting various new Puppy's in VBox such as:
slacko-5.6-4G-NON-PAE.iso & PAE version
precise-5.7.1.iso

I'm using Fatdog64-611 & Vbox 4.2.6. Yeah I know it's getting a bit old but it works fine.
Yeah, it's definitely the cpu flag problem, works fine on my athlonX2, but that still doesn't explain why the most recent versions fail (on hosts without the cpu flag).. might be something in VBox itself. :?

SFR

#10 Post by SFR »

VT-x has something to do with it indeed - I disabled this feature and encountered a beautiful crash (screenie).
But Slacko-5.5 (4g & PAE) and even 5.3.3 have also crashed in this case and in all cases the crash occurs a few seconds after loading initrd.gz, so I don't know if it's at all related to:
It stops at

Making the filesystem usable..
The next call is "depmod".
BTW, Slax-6.0 has booted just fine, as well as 214X-top10, Lucid-5.2.8-6, Pussy, Liberte-2012.3, CorePlus-current...

Porteus-LXDE-2.1-i486 hangs at "Starting init script <http://www.porteus.org/>"
PCLinuxOS-kde-2013.10 hangs indefinitely right after "Making extra nodes: [OK]".
smokey01 wrote:I'm using Fatdog64-611 & Vbox 4.2.6. Yeah I know it's getting a bit old but it works fine.

I just upgraded to v4.3.0 and it has introduced quite nice, new feature: "Video capture" - great option for making tutorials and reviews, I suppose.

Greetings!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(43.04 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Hayig2000

Same problem with me

#11 Post by Hayig2000 »

I tried slacko5.6 and precise 5.7.1

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

Can I ask. If you got a bargin ATI AMD chipset with the bios flag unchanging and turned off. What will work.. best 64bit host for veriualizatin not has to be puppylinux related but live disc.

smokey01

#13 Post by smokey01 »

It's important to make sure PAE is enabled in VirtualBox if it's a PAE distro. Using a virtual 64VB does not seem to be a problem.

bark_bark_bark

#14 Post by bark_bark_bark »

does not work for me.

smokey01

#15 Post by smokey01 »

Are you allocating enough ram. I always use 1G in my virtual boxes.

bark_bark_bark

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

@smokey01: I have enough RAM allocated. PAE isn't needed.

smokey01

#17 Post by smokey01 »

bark_bark_bark wrote:@smokey01: I have enough RAM allocated. PAE isn't needed.
Sorry I'm out of ideas.

It may be the flag problem, already mentioned previously, if you are using an older processor.

bark_bark_bark

#18 Post by bark_bark_bark »

smokey01 wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:@smokey01: I have enough RAM allocated. PAE isn't needed.
Sorry I'm out of ideas.

It may be the flag problem, already mentioned previously, if you are using an older processor.
I am using a very recent Intel Atom.

Hayig2000

Making filesystem usable

#19 Post by Hayig2000 »

i would like to know what is meant by this statement
Making filesystem usable
I chatted into vbox irc channel and they told me that

How can i log this? i only know vbox log

see this too: http://ns1.murga-projects.com/puppy/vie ... 459a9436dc

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

I thinks it because summer and winter occur simultaneously in different parts of the globe which effects the distribution of tinsel and sun cream.

Try inverting the polarity...always works in cheap sci fi.

marmaduke.