Puppy 4.3.1 install - Cannot get online

Booting, installing, newbie
Enrique Corbellini

#21 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

I remember with some nostalgia when connecting to the Internet was only one way: dial -up .
I would not want dial -up again (too slow) , but I would like a little more simplicity in the forms and combinations to connect .
Now I'm having a DHCP connection , someone might think " this always works well " , but in reality I have also some problems sometimes .
When I find a problem with connections , or even other kind of problems , my first thought is: Am I using windows or linux ?
If I get my problem is solved at some linux , for example in Ubuntu , then I find much easier approach to the solution, because while only working on Windows , may happen that a trick exists, ie a key or an obstacle since Windows tries to difficultd the usage of other systems. We all remember the experiencie with the wincards, created to allow only windows use the internet.
Once my connection works on any linux , if it does not work in puppy yet, I do think there address the forum to see if anyone could help me. But even in that case , try to work first on a Puppy 2013 , for example Precise Puppy has been very versatile. The older puppys are good, but as we know , technology changes every year.
What I mean by this , is that the resolution method is as important as resolution technology . This is a technical maze and to find the exit you have to be patient and methodical.
I won´t come back to Windows for nothing in the world. Even if I could only connect through internet using windows , because the first thing the corporate world want is to leave out those who can pay less , and also like to enslave users behind their technicians .
For my peace, my country adopted for their education public schools the use of Linux as a standard. We aren´t the first in South America, Brazil and Venezuela have done this before us. This helps the rest of the users to continue using linux.

Sky Aisling

#22 Post by Sky Aisling »

Nice contribution Enrique
I remember with some nostalgia...
Puts us back into perspective. :)

Thank you

ardvark

#23 Post by ardvark »

Not a problem, glad to help! :)

cschauerj

#24 Post by cschauerj »

Thanks for the post Enrique!

I received the ethernet card yesterday. I installed and configured it and then held my breath as I have so many times before when I opened the browser and...
SUCCESS!! I guess "changing the hardware to suit the software" was the answer here. Ardvark, you are the man! I owe you one.

My son's dinosaur of a computer, that used to limp along with XP, is now blazing fast:) Once I figure out some basics and make sure my printer and dropbox will work I'm looking forward to switching my main destop over and saying goodbye to windows indefinitely. Which version of Ubuntu is the most versitile? Does it support two monitors? Is it forever going to be a challenge ffinding software that is compatible?

ardvark

#25 Post by ardvark »

cschauerj wrote:I received the ethernet card yesterday. I installed and configured it and then held my breath as I have so many times before when I opened the browser and...
SUCCESS!! I guess "changing the hardware to suit the software" was the answer here. Ardvark, you are the man! I owe you one.

My son's dinosaur of a computer, that used to limp along with XP, is now blazing fast:) Once I figure out some basics and make sure my printer and dropbox will work I'm looking forward to switching my main destop over and saying goodbye to windows indefinitely. Which version of Ubuntu is the most versitile? Does it support two monitors? Is it forever going to be a challenge ffinding software that is compatible?
Hi...

Praise God for all of it, you're more than welcome. :)

From what I can tell here, Ubuntu should be able to support dual monitors depending upon the hardware, although I don't know about the other versions. If you have a graphics chipset that is not supported as well, it may be a different story. What are the specs for your main system?

Regarding your printer and dropbox, you can look here to see if your printer is supported and it looks like Dropbox is supported.

As a rule, software made for Windows does not run in Linux, although there are some things that will run using Wine. However, I think that is "hit and miss" for the most part. There is usually Linux software available that can substitute a Windows program (example: Microsoft Office=OpenOffice or LibreOffice,) however, the quality and functionality of the program will, most likely, vary. :(

Hope this helps... :)

Best wishes...

cschauerj

#26 Post by cschauerj »

Sorry for being slow to respond. I can't remember the specs on the computer anymore. I'll poke around when I get home to see. But I think I have enough to go by now. I appreciate the links! I believe Ubuntu can be run from a disc... so hopefully I can play around with it before I lose the windows xp.

ardvark

#27 Post by ardvark »

cschauerj wrote:Sorry for being slow to respond. I can't remember the specs on the computer anymore. I'll poke around when I get home to see. But I think I have enough to go by now. I appreciate the links! I believe Ubuntu can be run from a disc... so hopefully I can play around with it before I lose the windows xp.
No problem. Just remember that Ubuntu is nothing like Puppy. It is much "heavier" and will require newer, faster hardware in order to run quickly and efficiently. I'm thinking at least, in part, 6 to 8 GB's of memory, more if you can arrange it.

If your system doesn't have the "latest and greatest," and/or is too sluggish, you can try Lubuntu. However, if your system uses a Nvidia graphics chipset, try to avoid using the driver that contains the vdpau library, as it does not display colors correctly in videos.

Regards...

cschauerj

#28 Post by cschauerj »

Oh, wow. Ubuntu requires more computing power than XP... My main computer runs with a pentium D 3.23ghz w only 2gb ram. The video card is at Radeon 9550 AGP 256mb.

I guess I'll test out Lubuntu.

Sky Aisling

Puppy 4.3.1 install - Cannot get online

#29 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello cschauerj :)

You might be able to find more detailed answers to your Ubuntu questions at the Ubuntu Forum.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

ardvark

#30 Post by ardvark »

cschauerj wrote:Oh, wow. Ubuntu requires more computing power than XP... My main computer runs with a pentium D 3.23ghz w only 2gb ram. The video card is at Radeon 9550 AGP 256mb.

I guess I'll test out Lubuntu.
Hi...

Yes, I would forgo Ubuntu with this one. :wink:

The open source Radeon driver should work well with your graphics chipset as long as you aren't wanting to do any high end gaming. Unfortunately, the latest AMD proprietary driver (fglrx) goes back to 2009 and, if I remember correctly, is no longer supported by any of the newer kernels, which will require you to use the open source driver. Also, there was a bug of some kind involving the Radeon 9550 and fglrx driver back in 2008 when Intrepid came out. Information regarding this can be found here.

Let us know what you think of Lubuntu. :)

Regards...

cschauerj

#31 Post by cschauerj »

I will! Thanks guys :)

cschauerj

#32 Post by cschauerj »

And, as always, thanks for the info!

ardvark

#33 Post by ardvark »

cschauerj wrote:And, as always, thanks for the info!
You're more than welcome, glad to help. :)

Regards...