Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?

Booting, installing, newbie
wiko

#1 Post by wiko »

I'm in Wary5.5-Live and had a hd-partition (sda1) and 1 (sdb5) of 2 partitions on a USB-stick mounted (sdb1 unmounted).
after some time sdb5 was spontaneously unmounted and the stick registered back as sdc1 and 5.
I've been all the way up to sdi1 and 5 already (CTRL-Alt-Backspace was necessary because SeaMonkey bogged down the system and killing was impossible and this reset it back to sdb1 and 5).

keeping a window open in ROX doesn't help, the message says 'Directory missing/deleted'

could this have anything to do with a time-out on wake-up of the USB-stick??
if so, can I do something about it in a Live-session (also if it has another cause)??

Galbi

#2 Post by Galbi »

Is the stick connected directly to the USB port, or there is a wire in the middle?

I had the same problem and the usb wire was guilty.

wiko

#3 Post by wiko »

Galbi wrote:Is the stick connected directly to the USB port, or there is a wire in the middle?

I had the same problem and the usb wire was guilty.
both a cable (only 2 ports, both on the back) AND a 4-port hub.

on the 2nd port is a cable for a camera.

lets see what happens if I connect the stick directly on the back and the cameracable via the hub.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

is it a new laptop? my win8 hardware does this on its own if activity i drops to zero for 10-12 minutes. puppy was not designed to allow this but needs to be addressed soon.

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

Try to delete /root/.pup_event.

wiko

#6 Post by wiko »

Ted Dog wrote:is it a new laptop? my win8 hardware does this on its own if activity i drops to zero for 10-12 minutes. puppy was not designed to allow this but needs to be addressed soon.
no, it's a 14 yr old desktop (P3, 667 MHz)

wiko

#7 Post by wiko »

watchdog wrote:Try to delete /root/.pup_event.
have located that dir, but want to check first if the hub is causing this. now the stick is plugged directly in the port of the PC. if nothing strange happens over the next 24 hrs I'll restore the old situation and THEN delete as suggested: before or after I plug in the stick in the hub?

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

wiko wrote:
watchdog wrote:Try to delete /root/.pup_event.
have located that dir, but want to check first if the hub is causing this. now the stick is plugged directly in the port of the PC. if nothing strange happens over the next 24 hrs I'll restore the old situation and THEN delete as suggested: before or after I plug in the stick in the hub?
It is not important. Delete that dir and restart X.

wiko

#9 Post by wiko »

watchdog wrote:It is not important. Delete that dir and restart X.
I can see Menu/Shutdown/Restart X-server

once I've chosen that, what will happen and what input do I need to give to get back into the desktop or is this done automatically (plse don't forget I'm a relative newbie on the more intricate goings-on in linux)?

Galbi

#10 Post by Galbi »

wiko wrote:once I've chosen that, what will happen and what input do I need to give to get back into the desktop or is this done automatically (plse don't forget I'm a relative newbie on the more intricate goings-on in linux)?
It should happen super-ultra-archi-magically :)

Just in case it does not happen... (probability one in millions due to a non correct planetary alignment) :D
if you are left in a text mode console (like the ancient D.O.S.) typing

#xwin

will load the graphical server (who shows the desktop) again.

The graphical server can be killed with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace with no harm except that it also kills your open apps and looses the unsaved work.

wiko

#11 Post by wiko »

Galbi wrote:Just in case it does not happen type
#xwin

The graphical server can be killed with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace with no harm except that it also kills your open apps and looses the unsaved work.
I'll remember xwin!

could it be that Ctrl+Alt+Backspace has to be pressed more than once?
I try to save everything I do as often as possible, SeaMonky restores the session, so, no problem there.

here goes nothing!

I'm back: had hoped the stick would register as sdb1 and 5, instead they remained sde1 and 5.

lets see if sde5 stays mounted and logged on.

Monsie

#12 Post by Monsie »

Wary 5.5 is buggy with respect to usb drive assignments... something which I mentioned to BarryK earlier this year. If this is a major concern, I recommend that you install Wary 5.3 instead.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

wiko

Re: Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?

#13 Post by wiko »

Monsie wrote:Wary 5.5 is buggy with respect to usb drive assignments... something which I mentioned to BarryK earlier this year. If this is a major concern, I recommend that you install Wary 5.3 instead.

Monsie
I've got no problem working around this (in the mean time I'm 1letter up already, so the erasing of the dir and restarting X-server didn't do the trick). before I save to the USB I check what the assignment is and adjust accordingly.

watchdog

#14 Post by watchdog »

wiko wrote:I've got no problem working around this (in the mean time I'm 1letter up already, so the erasing of the dir and restarting X-server didn't do the trick). before I save to the USB I check what the assignment is and adjust accordingly.
Have you some hardware drives attached to your machine which you do not use? Example: a printer with a card-reader. If you boot in this case puppy with the printer on, the drive b could be assigned to the card reader of the printer...

wiko

#15 Post by wiko »

watchdog wrote:
wiko wrote:I've got no problem working around this (in the mean time I'm 1letter up already, so the erasing of the dir and restarting X-server didn't do the trick). before I save to the USB I check what the assignment is and adjust accordingly.
Have you some hardware drives attached to your machine which you do not use? Example: a printer with a card-reader. If you boot in this case puppy with the printer on, the drive b could be assigned to the card reader of the printer...
nope!
just a mounted hdd and, via the 4-port hub, the stick (1 of 2 part. mounted).
the first partition holds the Save-file so I'm curious if this sponteaneous unmounting etc. will also happen if I run from USB. should that be the case, than I do expect problems when I want to shut down and the file has to be updated. if it's no longer sdb1 but f.i. sdf1, will puppy find it?

this question has now been answered:
even though at start-up sdb1 with the save-file has an orange square around it, also this partition is, together with the other sdb5 unmounted (wether sdb5 is mounted or not) and logged off and logged on again as sdc1 and 5.

if I then try to save the puppy-file (so the save-file also has the latest changes) it goes on and saves to sdb1, even though sdb1 isn't there anymore and the PC hangs.

the same happens if I try to shutdown. puppy doesn't register that sdb1 isn't there anymore and tries to save anyway! and hangs!

this is a serious problem!

am I the only one??

watchdog

#16 Post by watchdog »

You are reporting a serious bug in usb drives assigments of wary 5.5. User Monsie warned that the usb drives assignments in wary 5.5 is buggy and suggested to use wary 5.3. I have used with joy wary 5.3 during one year on an old desktop. When wary 5.3 was upgraded to 5.5 my old desktop crashed and I am now using precise and slacko so I have not tested well the wary 5.5 release. Though I think that wary development is near closed, is there someone who can help our user wiko who sent me a private message?

wiko

#17 Post by wiko »

watchdog wrote:You are reporting a serious bug in usb drives assigments of wary 5.5. User Monsie warned that the usb drives assignments in wary 5.5 is buggy and suggested to use wary 5.3 ...... Though I think that wary development is near closed, is there someone who can help our user wiko who sent me a private message?
so it's not just Live but also the USB-session that suffers from this bug. only advantage from the latter is that a restart also resets to sdb1 (and 5). so doing a save works as long it's at sdb1.

took a lot of searching, but managed to find 5.3 (many links led to File not found). 5.5 was the first distro I ever burned to a Read-Only and not a RW (will have to sacrifice another).

can I keep the save-file from 5.5? will 5.3 find and load it?
(what version of Seamonky was in 5.3? no problems there?)

that's my back-up if all else fails.

watchdog

#18 Post by watchdog »

wiko wrote: can I keep the save-file from 5.5? will 5.3 find and load it?
(what version of Seamonky was in 5.3? no problems there?)

that's my back-up if all else fails.
I think you can try if the same warysave works backwards to wary 5.3. Backup it and try.

Edit: I have made a test with my old installs: it doesn't work. You have to install wary 5.3 by a new save file.

wiko

#19 Post by wiko »

watchdog wrote:
wiko wrote: can I keep the save-file from 5.5? will 5.3 find and load it?
I think you can try if the same warysave works backwards to wary 5.3. Backup it and try.

Edit: I have made a test with my old installs: it doesn't work. You have to install wary 5.3 by a new save file.
damn&d. does this mean that I will have to start all over again with customization etc? I hate that!