Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Oct 2014, 00:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
wiko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 10:42    Post_subject:  Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?  

I'm in Wary5.5-Live and had a hd-partition (sda1) and 1 (sdb5) of 2 partitions on a USB-stick mounted (sdb1 unmounted).
after some time sdb5 was spontaneously unmounted and the stick registered back as sdc1 and 5.
I've been all the way up to sdi1 and 5 already (CTRL-Alt-Backspace was necessary because SeaMonkey bogged down the system and killing was impossible and this reset it back to sdb1 and 5).

keeping a window open in ROX doesn't help, the message says 'Directory missing/deleted'

could this have anything to do with a time-out on wake-up of the USB-stick??
if so, can I do something about it in a Live-session (also if it has another cause)??
Galbi

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 12:13    Post_subject:  

Is the stick connected directly to the USB port, or there is a wire in the middle?

I had the same problem and the usb wire was guilty.
wiko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 13:43    Post_subject:  

Galbi wrote:
Is the stick connected directly to the USB port, or there is a wire in the middle?

I had the same problem and the usb wire was guilty.
both a cable (only 2 ports, both on the back) AND a 4-port hub.

on the 2nd port is a cable for a camera.

lets see what happens if I connect the stick directly on the back and the cameracable via the hub.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 14:11    Post_subject:  

is it a new laptop? my win8 hardware does this on its own if activity i drops to zero for 10-12 minutes. puppy was not designed to allow this but needs to be addressed soon.
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 14:32    Post_subject:  

Try to delete /root/.pup_event.
wiko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 15:19    Post_subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
is it a new laptop? my win8 hardware does this on its own if activity i drops to zero for 10-12 minutes. puppy was not designed to allow this but needs to be addressed soon.
no, it's a 14 yr old desktop (P3, 667 MHz)
wiko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 15:25    Post_subject:  

watchdog wrote:
have located that dir, but want to check first if the hub is causing this. now the stick is plugged directly in the port of the PC. if nothing strange happens over the next 24 hrs I'll restore the old situation and THEN delete as suggested: before or after I plug in the stick in the hub?
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 15:38    Post_subject:  

wiko wrote:
watchdog wrote:
have located that dir, but want to check first if the hub is causing this. now the stick is plugged directly in the port of the PC. if nothing strange happens over the next 24 hrs I'll restore the old situation and THEN delete as suggested: before or after I plug in the stick in the hub?

It is not important. Delete that dir and restart X.
wiko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 16:44    Post_subject:  

watchdog wrote:
It is not important. Delete that dir and restart X.
I can see Menu/Shutdown/Restart X-server

once I've chosen that, what will happen and what input do I need to give to get back into the desktop or is this done automatically (plse don't forget I'm a relative newbie on the more intricate goings-on in linux)?
Galbi

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 17:12    Post_subject:  

wiko wrote:
once I've chosen that, what will happen and what input do I need to give to get back into the desktop or is this done automatically (plse don't forget I'm a relative newbie on the more intricate goings-on in linux)?

It should happen super-ultra-archi-magically Smile

Just in case it does not happen... (probability one in millions due to a non correct planetary alignment) Very Happy
if you are left in a text mode console (like the ancient D.O.S.) typing

#xwin

will load the graphical server (who shows the desktop) again.

The graphical server can be killed with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace with no harm except that it also kills your open apps and looses the unsaved work.
wiko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov 2013, 17:34    Post_subject:  

Galbi wrote:
Just in case it does not happen type
#xwin

The graphical server can be killed with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace with no harm except that it also kills your open apps and looses the unsaved work.

I'll remember xwin!

could it be that Ctrl+Alt+Backspace has to be pressed more than once?
I try to save everything I do as often as possible, SeaMonky restores the session, so, no problem there.

here goes nothing!

I'm back: had hoped the stick would register as sdb1 and 5, instead they remained sde1 and 5.

lets see if sde5 stays mounted and logged on.
Monsie

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov 2013, 03:08    Post_subject: Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?  

Wary 5.5 is buggy with respect to usb drive assignments... something which I mentioned to BarryK earlier this year. If this is a major concern, I recommend that you install Wary 5.3 instead.

Monsie

wiko

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov 2013, 05:12    Post_subject: Re: Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?  

Monsie wrote:
Wary 5.5 is buggy with respect to usb drive assignments... something which I mentioned to BarryK earlier this year. If this is a major concern, I recommend that you install Wary 5.3 instead.

Monsie
I've got no problem working around this (in the mean time I'm 1letter up already, so the erasing of the dir and restarting X-server didn't do the trick). before I save to the USB I check what the assignment is and adjust accordingly.
watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov 2013, 06:03    Post_subject: Re: Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?  

wiko wrote:
I've got no problem working around this (in the mean time I'm 1letter up already, so the erasing of the dir and restarting X-server didn't do the trick). before I save to the USB I check what the assignment is and adjust accordingly.

Have you some hardware drives attached to your machine which you do not use? Example: a printer with a card-reader. If you boot in this case puppy with the printer on, the drive b could be assigned to the card reader of the printer...
wiko

PostPosted: Sat 30 Nov 2013, 10:21    Post_subject: Re: Wary5.5-Live: USB unmounts, loggs off and on ?spontaneously?  

watchdog wrote:
wiko wrote:

Have you some hardware drives attached to your machine which you do not use? Example: a printer with a card-reader. If you boot in this case puppy with the printer on, the drive b could be assigned to the card reader of the printer...
nope!
just a mounted hdd and, via the 4-port hub, the stick (1 of 2 part. mounted).
the first partition holds the Save-file so I'm curious if this sponteaneous unmounting etc. will also happen if I run from USB. should that be the case, than I do expect problems when I want to shut down and the file has to be updated. if it's no longer sdb1 but f.i. sdf1, will puppy find it?

this question has now been answered:
even though at start-up sdb1 with the save-file has an orange square around it, also this partition is, together with the other sdb5 unmounted (wether sdb5 is mounted or not) and logged off and logged on again as sdc1 and 5.

if I then try to save the puppy-file (so the save-file also has the latest changes) it goes on and saves to sdb1, even though sdb1 isn't there anymore and the PC hangs.

the same happens if I try to shutdown. puppy doesn't register that sdb1 isn't there anymore and tries to save anyway! and hangs!

this is a serious problem!

am I the only one??
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum