Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#1081 Post by Sage »

Carolite 1.1a - nice!
Couple of strange messages
:'writing data....' when requesting (closed) CD to eject.
:Xfburn refuses blank(ed) disc on my ancient Philips/HP/Others 4x4x32 E118405. Probably feature of this drive which has a long history of bad reviews.
Otherwise - like it.

rg66

#1082 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote::'writing data....' when requesting (closed) CD to eject.
:Xfburn refuses blank(ed) disc on my ancient Philips/HP/Others 4x4x32 E118405. Probably feature of this drive which has a long history of bad reviews.
I'm getting the same message with data dvd's, with movies I'm getting "ejecting media" which sounds normal. Will try in Carolina later to see if it's the same.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

ac2011

#1083 Post by ac2011 »

ac2011 wrote:
Fixed it, I think. Slimboat checks for its support files in the directory it was called from, so it was looking in /tmp/glibc2113. By copying and renaming the ld-linux.so.2 file into /usr/lib/slimboat and running it from there, all the supporting files are found.

As before, please let me know if this works for you.

That works a lot better, though setting the homepage and history don't work.
Not sure why that is, but I think it's as good as it'll get with this method. Probably a fair trade-off for not breaking the locale entirely or having to force it to "C", especially if you're using a non-English locale.

Pete22

upgrading to 1.1

#1084 Post by Pete22 »

I updated to 1.1 with the delta file. Now my desktop does not work.
What I mean is background and no icons. Not sure how to fix it.

Any ideas?

Pete

Geoffrey

Re: upgrading to 1.1

#1085 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:I updated to 1.1 with the delta file. Now my desktop does not work.
What I mean is background and no icons. Not sure how to fix it.

Any ideas?

Pete
Did the md5 for the updated ISO check ok, if so have you tried to boot it without your existing save file.

It should work ok, nobody else has reported a problem updating to 1.1

The PAE ISO md5 is

Code: Select all

1f462390488b9e5063d62e2f825616b4
The Non-PAE ISO md5 is

3b9a73016b20426eda4fbdb60d5d5bcc
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Pete22

Desktop

#1086 Post by Pete22 »

Geoffrey:

Yes, the md5 matches.
And yes it works when I don't use my old file.
So your files are innocent.
However, my desktop was working until I updated.
I have inklings that my hardware is failing.
Is there a way to repair this desktop?
If so, I will move my savefile to another computer.

Pete

Geoffrey

Re: Desktop

#1087 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:Geoffrey:

Yes, the md5 matches.

Pete
Pete, have you tried enabling the icons and selecting a wall paper in Control Panel > Desktop.

I updated one of my old 1.0 saves to 1.1 and it works fine.

I really can't suggest anything, maybe someone else had this problem and as been able to rectify it.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

ac2011

Re: Desktop

#1088 Post by ac2011 »

Pete22 wrote:Geoffrey:

Yes, the md5 matches.

Pete
Just a suggestion:

I've found that if a desktop icon is incorrect (e.g. it points to a program that's no longer installed), sometimes none of the desktop icons show up. This has happened to me occasionally when adding/unloading SFS programs. It might be what's happened to you.

Moving any *.desktop files out of /root/Desktop/ and then moving them back in one at a time might reinstate your desktop icons and allow you to find the one that's causing problems.

Firefox was a problem for me at one point, I think. No icons on the desktop, then I deleted the Firefox.desktop file and the rest came back.

Geoffrey

#1089 Post by Geoffrey »

Added the latest Hotshots to repo, there isn't a great deal of difference from Hotshots 2.0.0b1.
The only gripe I have with it to date is the fact that when enlarging the text font in the editor, the preview tends to push the bottom of the gui off screen.
Version 2.0.0
* Features:
- Autostart on linux
- Add Portuguese translation. Thanks to Vinícius "A. Jorge".
- Add German translation. Thanks to dbr.
- Change default location of translation file on linux ("/share/hotshots/locale" instead of "/share/locale")
- Change some icons (best visual consistency)
- Add launch editor action in systray menu
- Editor: ability to set background color for some item type (rectangle, ellipse, text)
- Editor: add a palette of last used of foreground/background color pair
- Editor: add last saved/loaded file
- Editor: add "bring to top/bottom" for selected elements
- Editor: add "autorepeat" on font size buttons
- Add MacOSX target
* Bugs:
- Editor: add margin to render pixmap (incorrect crop)
- Editor: correct layout problem on font preview
- Editor: correct focus problem on text item
- Editor: correct saved shadow state on some items
- Editor: correct invalid proposed name for "save as" function
- Editor: correct text cursor move with keyboard if text item is selected
- correct a problem with automatic naming of exported image
Attachments
hotshots200.jpg
(39.61 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

ac2011

#1090 Post by ac2011 »

ac2011 wrote:
ac2011 wrote:
Fixed it, I think. Slimboat checks for its support files in the directory it was called from, so it was looking in /tmp/glibc2113. By copying and renaming the ld-linux.so.2 file into /usr/lib/slimboat and running it from there, all the supporting files are found.

Not sure why that is, but I think it's as good as it'll get with this method. Probably a fair trade-off for not breaking the locale entirely or having to force it to "C", especially if you're using a non-English locale.
Actually it seems to be working fine for me: homepage, history, changing search engine, etc.

It's quite a nice browser, seems pretty quick.

ac2011

Ramboot for Carolina 1.1

#1091 Post by ac2011 »

Just a note to anyone using my ramboot=1 mod for Carolina 1.0. You can do the same thing for Carolina 1.1 but there's a shortcut: you can re-use the 'init' script you made before as it's identical.

You'll still need to add mnt/tmpfs3 and rebuild the initrd.gz file but there's no need to re-do all the ramboot additions in the init script. Just copy your modified init script from 1.0 before rebuilding initrd.gz.

Geoffrey

#1092 Post by Geoffrey »

ac2011 wrote:
ac2011 wrote:
ac2011 wrote:

Actually it seems to be working fine for me: homepage, history, changing search engine, etc.

I just tried it again and it appears to work ok, may have been a result of me trying different configurations to get it working that that caused the problem.

It may be better to create a sfs with all the required files than extracting the deb every time, the lib files could be in a hidden directory, out of sight out of mind, I'll have a play and see what I can do and if all is good I'll put it in the repo sfs directory.

ac2011

#1093 Post by ac2011 »

Geoffrey wrote:
ac2011 wrote:
ac2011 wrote: Not sure why that is, but I think it's as good as it'll get with this method. Probably a fair trade-off for not breaking the locale entirely or having to force it to "C", especially if you're using a non-English locale.

I just tried it again and it appears to work ok, may have been a result of me trying different configurations to get it working that that caused the problem.

It may be better to create a sfs with all the required files than extracting the deb every time, the lib files could be in a hidden directory, out of sight out of mind, I'll have a play and see what I can do and if all is good I'll put it in the repo sfs directory.
That sounds like a good idea, much easier for end-users that way.

Geoffrey

#1094 Post by Geoffrey »

ac2011 wrote:That sounds like a good idea, much easier for end-users that way.
It works, but the search engines don't and I can't add any, it creates a blank xml for the search engines.

# slimboat
/usr/lib/slimboat/slimboat: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/slimboat/libs/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0)
IconLoader error: file not exist: "/root/.local/share/data/FlashPeak/SlimBoat/quicksearch/Google (custom).png" 
IconLoader error: url= "" 
Edited slimboat.sh

#!/bin/sh
# glibc hack from Puppy forum member ac2011 
export LC_ALL="C"
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/slimboat/plugins
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/slimboat/libs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/slimboat/glibc2113/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/slimboat/glibc2113/lib:/usr/lib/slimboat/libs /usr/lib/slimboat/slimboat "$@"
Close, any ideas?
Attachments
Screenshot-2.png
/usr/lib/slimboat added glibc2113 directory with the new glibc files
(18.07 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

ac2011

#1095 Post by ac2011 »

Yes, I think so. The problem is you have to run ld-linux.so.2 from /usr/lib/slimboat/ and not a sub-directory under that (that's what's weird/unique about slimboat compared to other apps I've done this tweak with).

In my tests I couldn't even use a sym-link: it has to be the actual file. All the other libs can go where you've put them, but ld-linux.so.2 is the special case and has to go in /usr/lib/slimboat/

Then you'd have something like this:

#!/bin/sh
export LC_ALL="C"
/usr/lib/slimboat/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/slimboat/glibc2113/lib:/usr/lib/slimboat/libs /usr/lib/slimboat/slimboat "$@"
PS. Thanks for the credit.

Geoffrey

#1096 Post by Geoffrey »

ac2011 wrote:Yes, I think so. The problem is you have to run ld-linux.so.2 from /usr/lib/slimboat/ and not a sub-directory under that (that's what's weird/unique about slimboat compared to other apps I've done this tweak with).

In my tests I couldn't even use a sym-link: it has to be the actual file. All the other libs can go where you've put them, but ld-linux.so.2 is the special case and has to go in /usr/lib/slimboat/

Then you'd have something like this:

#!/bin/sh
export LC_ALL="C"
/usr/lib/slimboat/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path /usr/lib/slimboat/glibc2113/lib:/usr/lib/slimboat/libs /usr/lib/slimboat/slimboat "$@"
PS. Thanks for the credit.
No worries :wink:

That fixed it, didn't like the path, I'll test it a bit more and upload it a little later.

Thanks for the help.

Geoffrey

#1097 Post by Geoffrey »

I've uploaded slimboat-1.1.44-lina.sfs to the repo, it contains all the needed glibc files, appears to work ok.
This should be the safest way to use Slimboat without polluting the library files, please test.

http://smokey01.com/carolina/sfs/slimbo ... 4-lina.sfs

md5 70d7f5580c258018b347b0a158c1779a

Also re-uploaded Hotshots-2.0.0 as the menu entry was in the wrong place, it was in /usr/share/application that should of been /usr/share/applications, the easy fix is to just move it for those that have downloaded it previously and delete /usr/share/application directory which needn't be there.

Gobbi

#1098 Post by Gobbi »

Slimboat works on my Carolite 1.1 , but it's much slower than Firefox .
Started with Carolina 1.0 , then saw the upgrade to 1.1 and meanwhile I was working to make a custom remaster ( I put everything I need in it and don't use savefile ) Carolite1.1 appeared . So I added just the things I needed to it and now it's my favourite on my old laptop ( 1Gb RAM , AMD Turion ML34 1.8GHz). Light and fast , love the way writes directly ( no blanking ) over DVD RW , and Firefox on Carolite 1.1 it's faster :D than Seamonkey I use on Fatdog on my newer desktop .
On that desktop Carolite sees ( with mvsas and libsas modules ) my OCZ Revodrive 3 PCI Express ( OCZ gave no free linux drivers ) but only as 2 partitions (actually there is a third controller which makes a RAID from them). I can even see those 2 partitions in Gparted but I'm afraid to touch them 'cause I have Windows 7 there . First linux to show them in Gparted for me... Maybe soon I shall be able to access that drive from Carolite or oher puppy ( things evolved pretty well ) ...

The way ...lite helps make small and highly personalized puppy should be a feature all puppies take advantage from...

In my opinion , it could make Caroline a bit better the possibility to let a single way to delete files , I mean to be able to remove from the right click menu : 'Delete' - which sends the files to Trash . That's because if I want to really remove some file and since I'm used to choose 'delete' in other puppies I do something else choosing 'Delete' in Carolite. A good choice could have been 'Send to Trash' instead of 'Delete' ... Moreover - every partition where I delete ( send to trash ) something , gets a brand new '.Trash ' folder and since often there are other operating systems there , it's a pain in the a..

Geoffrey

#1099 Post by Geoffrey »

Gobbi wrote:Slimboat works on my Carolite 1.1 , but it's much slower than Firefox .
Started with Carolina 1.0 , then saw the upgrade to 1.1 and meanwhile I was working to make a custom remaster ( I put everything I need in it and don't use savefile ) Carolite1.1 appeared . So I added just the things I needed to it and now it's my favourite on my old laptop ( 1Gb RAM , AMD Turion ML34 1.8GHz). Light and fast , love the way writes directly ( no blanking ) over DVD RW , and Firefox on Carolite 1.1 it's faster :D than Seamonkey I use on Fatdog on my newer desktop .
On that desktop Carolite sees ( with mvsas and libsas modules ) my OCZ Revodrive 3 PCI Express ( OCZ gave no free linux drivers ) but only as 2 partitions (actually there is a third controller which makes a RAID from them). I can even see those 2 partitions in Gparted but I'm afraid to touch them 'cause I have Windows 7 there . First linux to show them in Gparted for me... Maybe soon I shall be able to access that drive from Carolite or oher puppy ( things evolved pretty well ) ...

The way ...lite helps make small and highly personalized puppy should be a feature all puppies take advantage from...

In my opinion , it could make Caroline a bit better the possibility to let a single way to delete files , I mean to be able to remove from the right click menu : 'Delete' - which sends the files to Trash . That's because if I want to really remove some file and since I'm used to choose 'delete' in other puppies I do something else choosing 'Delete' in Carolite. A good choice could have been 'Send to Trash' instead of 'Delete' ... Moreover - every partition where I delete ( send to trash ) something , gets a brand new '.Trash ' folder and since often there are other operating systems there , it's a pain in the a..
Thanks for testing Slimboat, yes I find it slow loading Google Image view, but in general web pages load as fast as Firefox or even a tad quicker in some instances, others report no faults at all.

As far as the trash is concerned there isn't a way the rename Delete, to bypass the trash just hold down the Shift key when selecting Delete.

There is also a entry in the right click menu called Permanently Remove... this can be lethal and destroy everything if not used with care, you can rearrange these custom actions by selecting in Thunar file manager Edit > Configure custom actions... and select an entry which can be moved up or down the menu list.

The .Trash-0 directories are of no consequence if they are deleted in another operating system, provided they contain nothing you planned on keeping, they will be recreated if anything is deleted in that partition using Thunar in Carolina.

ac2011

#1100 Post by ac2011 »

Geoffrey wrote: Permanently Remove... this can be lethal and destroy everything if not used with care
I once managed to right-click on the background in Thunar, narrowly missing the directory I was planning to delete. I didn't notice the mistake and selected Permanently Remove. Result: it deleted the entire current directory.

Silly user error, but for safety I've now disabled Permanently Remove on my machines. One day I'll get around to writing a script that checks for such accidents, then I can reinstate it.