bring back puppy 431.

Using applications, configuring, problems
KentC

#121 Post by KentC »

Thank you. I'm actually in the process of testing out everything currently out there on 4.3.1 and keeping what works with instructions to put online soon.

Here is what I'd like to happen:
  • We finally get a working Wireshark as that's a big request for this OS.
    We get a nice set of Lib's that actually work with 431
    We have some open source application install tutorials that load/work with 431
    Have the tools to assist with making the OS iso easy to grab or even PXE from
Anyways, anything anyone wants to send my way, please send to me via PM or this thread.

Thank you,
Kent C

jakfish

#122 Post by jakfish »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15

I can confirm that these pets will allow wireless printing b/w current HP printers and 4.31/4.32

Jake

KentC

#123 Post by KentC »

Cool, I have a printer here I can give a shot and see as it's an HP model as well.

EDIT: Thank you very much! I used the info given from the thread as it's spread, I still couldn't get CUPS to work for whatever reason even though it recognized my HP Deskjet 3250 series, I actually had to add the following for it to work and use the wizard which was at first a little hard to find:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58421

These: [Both in thread link above]
1. Install libnetsnmp-15.pet
2. hpliplite-3.12.11.pet

Here as well is a link with the results, I'll add this to the list of stuff I will add to help others as that was not a novice thing to get working!

Kent C.
Attachments
HP_Deskjet_3520_E_Series_Puppy_Linux_431_Working.png
(71.19 KiB) Downloaded 351 times

jakfish

#124 Post by jakfish »

Yes, the setup is not for the faint of heart. Could've never pulled it off without the magic help of rcrsn51, who actually rewrote the pet.

But it is testimony that 4.31 can be dragged kicking and screaming into the current world.

Jake

KentC

#125 Post by KentC »

Just wanted to leave an update to say the site is still being worked on..

Please check it out as updates have been completed:

Kent C.

rerwin

#126 Post by rerwin »

KentC wrote:Anyways, anything anyone wants to send my way, please send to me via PM or this thread.
Kent,
Now that I have about wrapped up my upgrade of Lucid Pup 5.2.8 -- 5.2.8.6 -- I would like to return to my long-dormant project that provided upgrade pet packages for puppy 4.3.1. However, I am delighted to see that you are taking on a similar effort, so would prefer to join it rather than appear to compete with it.

My project is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 963#483889
but the downloads are unusable due to the relatively recent tightening of the limits to attachment size. Now that I have a mediafire account, I can upload those packages to it, as well as create ISO files for upgraded versions of 4.3.1. Or, I can upload them for you to copy into your repository.

The primary package that I do not see in your repo is upgrade_pack_4.3.1.1-20110905.pet, which contains many infrastructure improvements, mainly to harden the boot-up process. I would like to add those fixes to your library and perhaps an updated set of fixes to be back-ported from lucid pup 5.2.8.6 (which will require further verification).

Please advise me on what direction to take with my revisit of 4.3.1 updates. Thanks for your effort to maintain 4.3.1.
Richard

greengeek

#127 Post by greengeek »

Theres quite a bit of interest in having updated versions of series 4 puppies so any 'pool' of new isos, sfs's or pets that can be accumulated will be well received I am sure.

Rerwin - would you consider adding your mediafire links to your other thread as an alternative to the oversize attachments?

ally

#128 Post by ally »

can I put forward a request for jemimah puppeee1.0 to be updated

awesome bit of kit!!

:)

sunburnt

#129 Post by sunburnt »

Bring back Puppy 1.67

slavvo67

#130 Post by slavvo67 »

Bring back Wind.... Whoaaaaaaaaaaa I can't wait for the hate mail on this one! LMAO!!

Actually, bring me a new Pemasu Puppy! His quality control is outstanding!!

rerwin

#131 Post by rerwin »

greengeek wrote:Rerwin - would you consider adding your mediafire links to your other thread as an alternative to the oversize attachments?
Yes, I plan to do that soon. I just did not want to compete with Kent. But he does not appear to be monitoring this thread these days.

I plan to not only put the packages in my mediafire account, but some ISO files, as I can get to them.
Richard

EDIT: I have now uploaded the pet packages originally in the "Simplified ... Upgrade Center" thread to here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rtnecm25lnu2n/Puppy431
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 19 Apr 2014, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#132 Post by greengeek »

I don't know if it is possible (actually I think it should be quite easy) - but I think it would be really nice to have a host of 431 updates in a single sfs - so that purists could use the original unmodified iso and compatible packages, but other experimenters could simply tack on an sfs and easily gain the update benefits while still retaining the opportunity to go back to 431 pure when desired.
Hope that makes sense...

rerwin

#133 Post by rerwin »

greengeek,
Keep in mind that an added SFS file would have lower priority than the main puppy file. Any updates to puppy components would be overridden by the original versions of those files.

With the PETs, the user can uninstall any of them, except that the "upgrade" pet would probably be required if any of the others are present.

I have now uploaded a disk image ISO file that I created about the time of the last update to 4.3.11. The only differences between it and the upgrade pet 20110905 is that the latter adds unrar and a minor fix to xarchive. A user can alternate between it and the original puppy 4.3.1 ISO or CDs made from them.
Richard

greengeek

#134 Post by greengeek »

rerwin wrote:Keep in mind that an added SFS file would have lower priority than the main puppy file. Any updates to puppy components would be overridden by the original versions of those files.
Ok, I would like to understand this a bit better - what would happen if I added a .pet to pup 431, and the .pet contained a new version of a library? Are you saying the new library version from the pet WOULD become active? And would NOT be overwritten by the standard puppy one?

Whereas if that library was installed via an sfs it WOULD NOT become active, as it would be overwritten by the standard lib version?

Do I understand that correctly?

cthisbear

#135 Post by cthisbear »

rerwin:

I hope that you fixed the annoying feature of
>>> Aqualung????????

when you played a MP3 file...it would open multi windows
if you weren't looking...when you clicked Multiple songs.

You know there was a JP Puppy 4.3 release..Shinobar???

Maybe you could pinch stuff from there.

Loved your Lucid updates....great work mate.

Chris.

rerwin

#136 Post by rerwin »

greengeek wrote:what would happen if I added a .pet to pup 431, and the .pet contained a new version of a library? Are you saying the new library version from the pet WOULD become active? And would NOT be overwritten by the standard puppy one?

Whereas if that library was installed via an sfs it WOULD NOT become active, as it would be overwritten by the standard lib version?

Do I understand that correctly?
Yes.
cthisbear wrote:I hope that you fixed the annoying feature of
>>> Aqualung????????

when you played a MP3 file...it would open multi windows
if you weren't looking...when you clicked Multiple songs.

You know there was a JP Puppy 4.3 release..Shinobar???

Maybe you could pinch stuff from there.
Since I have never used aqualung, I was unaware of the problem. Do you know whether is works correctly in JP Puppy 4.3? If so, I could look into it. Keep in mind, though, that I am not competent to fix "external" applications on my own. But I am open to incorporating other peoples' fixed versions.
Richard

KentC

#137 Post by KentC »

@rerwin

I want to revive this project. I just had many other projects to finish. I'll add your packages to puppylinux431.com and maybe some updates as well.

Thanks!!

Kent C.

KentC

#138 Post by KentC »

UPDATE!!!

Ok. So I've cleaned up and revamped the site! Puppy Linux Wikka is still active where you can also find the site. Since I want to truly continue my work on this OS on this version, [I already setup an old compaq on SATA HDD for my workstation when it's business]

I've spoken with the engineers at Brekeke.com and they have give us a special Standard License for the Brekeke Sip Server! Since I was the only one to ever configure this for Puppy Linux. We will be sponsering Brekeke Sip Server as part of their sales team endorsement.

On top of this, we will not only give you tutorials COMING SOON to actually route traffic via SIP [VoIP]. As we complete this for your ease and understanding, we'll also be doing specialized training on this proxy server exclusive to puppy linux 4.3.1!

Imagine, now you can use puppy linux as a legitimate phone system using SIP!

This is the new venture and just want to let everyone know please standby while we sort this new arrangement!

UPDATE LINK:

Code: Select all

http://www.puppylinux431.com/newsandevents.html
Thank you,
Kent C.

Pelo

Toutou Linux 436 is Puppy 431

#139 Post by Pelo »

Toutou Linux is Puppy 431 translated to french. A light remasterization has been done with Frisbee and wireless, and some light adds in multimedia.
The version number is 436 but it's a puppy 431 (2015)
ISO 114 MB available sourceforge.net by asriedu here
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 14 Sep 2017, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

musher0

#140 Post by musher0 »

@KentC: Your link is a joke. Nothing loads in opera.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)