SeaMonkey won't run as spot after remastering Precise

Using applications, configuring, problems
thatlordbaal

#1 Post by thatlordbaal »

Hello i made a remaster of puppy precise 5.7 .i copied all root settings over, didn't make the driver file, set seamonkey to run as spot, and set puppy to my hardware settings. i have 2 issues

1) on boot i get an error message about it not shutting down properly with the option to either ignore and go to command prompt.

2) i get permission issues trying to run seamonkey with it now set to run as spot on default. i have to undo run as spot to use seamonkey

im still learn so i hope im posting this in the right section thank you in advance

nic007

Re: remaster and spot

#2 Post by nic007 »

thatlordbaal wrote:Hello i made a remaster of puppy precise 5.7 .i copied all root settings over, didn't make the driver file, set seamonkey to run as spot, and set puppy to my hardware settings. i have 2 issues

1) on boot i get an error message about it not shutting down properly with the option to either ignore and go to command prompt.

2) i get permission issues trying to run seamonkey with it now set to run as spot on default. i have to undo run as spot to use seamonkey

im still learn so i hope im posting this in the right section thank you in advance
Point 1 - You've copied the hidden file .XLOADED in the etc folder. It should be deleted. In general with a remaster, copy the root and etc folders of the running system and delete .XLOADED

thatlordbaal

#3 Post by thatlordbaal »

thank you nic007 and sorry for the late reply. deleting xloaded solved the boot up error message.

However I'm still having issues with spot and web browsers. for example i installed Firefox 25 on Puppy Raring remaster. i copied my root and etc over.also i setup Firefox to run as spot in the remaster with add-ons i like to use.

when trying to start Firefox in the remaster i get a pop-up about creating a profile. Firefox doesn't see the default profile and i cant create one due to permission restrictions. however when i change the firefox folder name (ex firefox1) then change it back to its default name i can now launch Firefox properly.

Monsie

#4 Post by Monsie »

thatlordbaal wrote:thank you nic007 and sorry for the late reply. deleting xloaded solved the boot up error message.

However I'm still having issues with spot and web browsers. for example i installed Firefox 25 on Puppy Raring remaster. i copied my root and etc over.also i setup Firefox to run as spot in the remaster with add-ons i like to use.

when trying to start Firefox in the remaster i get a pop-up about creating a profile. Firefox doesn't see the default profile and i cant create one due to permission restrictions. however when i change the firefox folder name (ex firefox1) then change it back to its default name i can now launch Firefox properly.
I am wondering if when you remastered, that the default user profile for your browser was left out. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that this information is stored in the hidden .mozilla directory. This could explain why you are getting a notification to create a profile.

If you haven't tried already, you can run the browser profile manager from the command line:

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/firefox
firefox -profilemanager
In SeaMonkey, it is a bit different:

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/seamonkey
seamonkey -P
I tested this with SeaMonkey in Wary 5.3 and I was able to run the command as Spot. I 've enclosed a screenshot to show you what I did...

Hope this helps,
Monsie
Attachments
SeaMonkey--Profile-Manager-as-Spot.jpg
(113.79 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.