Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 01 Nov 2014, 05:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy version for an Inspiron 2500 Celeron 800MHz?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
zuren

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec 2013, 17:32    Post subject:  Puppy version for an Inspiron 2500 Celeron 800MHz?  

(Forgive me if this is not the best place to post since it is hardware focused. Please move if it's appropriate.)

I am attempting to narrow down which Puppy to use on an old laptop (see below). I am still learning about Puppy but I've been mostly focusing on the Wary distros. I've read in a couple places that Wary is focused on older hardware but would love more official confirmation of this. My ultimate goal is to have this laptop sitting ready when we have overnight guests so they can get online....that's all I'm asking of it.

I can run a LiveCD session of Wary 5.1.4. My wireless adapter didn't work but I haven't tried to fix it. Everything else is very snappy and fast. I just tried to run a live session of Wary 5.5 and after the startup sequence, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor. When this happens, should I take that to mean it won't work and abandon it? I have an iso of Slacko as well that didn't work.

As I mentioned, Wary 5.1.4 will run but would like suggestions on others to try based on my hardware spec. It is currently running Lubuntu but it hangs and lags a bit when I know it can be faster.

Thanks!

Dell Inspiron 2500 (circa 2001)
Celeron 800Mhz
512MB RAM
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
LCD screen - 1024x768, 14”
DVD-RW drive
CD-ROM drive
Edimax EW-7811Un wireless adapter
USB1.1 ports
PCMCIA port
Non-PAE required?
running Lubuntu 12.04
ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec 2013, 22:55    Post subject: Re: Puppy version for an Inspiron 2500 Celeron 800MHz?  

zuren wrote:
I am still learning about Puppy but I've been mostly focusing on the Wary distros. I've read in a couple places that Wary is focused on older hardware but would love more official confirmation of this.

Hi...

You can find such confirmation here. Smile

In terms of speed, Wary would probably be your best option, however, after poking around a bit, it looks like your wireless device will be somewhat of a challenge. I was able to find this thread concerning a possible solution, just click the link in the third post, from shariebeth. Make sure your device has the same chipset before you proceed!

Another option would be to try out other versions such as Lucid 5.2.8, precise 5.6.1 or 5.7.1 or Slacko and see if there is native support for your device. They might have more "weight" to them but nothing like Lubuntu, I would imagine.

As far as PAE or non-PAE, I'm not sure but I would think PAE would do fine. Someone else on the fourm might have more (and better) information regarding this.

Hope this helps...

Regards...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 05:02    Post subject:  

Quote:
As far as PAE or non-PAE, I'm not sure but I would think PAE would do fine. Someone else on the fourm might have more (and better) information regarding this.

A PAE version, of a Puppy version, is for computers that have more than 4GB of ram.
If you try a version of Puppy that has option of PAE or non-PAE, choose the non-PAE.

Celeron 800Mhz

This is the biggest problem with your setup. What abilities this processor has.
None of the newer Puppies, like Slacko or Precise, are made for this old a processor.

Wary is a good choice.

Could try:
Puppy 4.3.1
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-4.3.1/
Clasic Pup 2.14X
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553

zuren

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:38    Post subject:  

Thank you for the suggestions. I knew hardware this old would be a challenge and may be a losing battle.

I've also possibly discovered that my wireless USB adapters (an Edimax and a TP-Link) require a kernel version of 3.0+ to be supported natively, so that creates a direct conflict with my effort (USB adapter needs a newer kernel, rest of the hardware needs something older). I've tried installing drivers without success with 5.1.4 and BrowserLinux though I'm not savvy with installing anything manually with any flavor Linux. It possible that operator error was the reason the install didn't work.

I'll continue to research but I'm coming to the realization that this hardware may not be worth the effort.

Thanks!
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 13:24    Post subject:  

Curious kernel demands of that wifi..do you happen to know what prevents it building on an older kernel?. I bought a cheap and cheerful ralink rt2070 based one off ebay and it came with drivers that built ok on a 2.6.24 kernel. Might be one of those occasions in Linux when a few bob on hardware can save a lot of headaches.
I have a feeling that older celeraons are on the non PAE list but if it works then ignore that.

Taking into consideration the machine itself its more puppy 4 stuff... I have a couple of pentium 3's and that era of distro seem to fit the bill nicely. I have Lucid which is ok too but by no means essential.

mike
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 14:18    Post subject:  

zuren wrote:
I've also possibly discovered that my wireless USB adapters (an Edimax and a TP-Link) require a kernel version of 3.0+ to be supported natively, so that creates a direct conflict with my effort (USB adapter needs a newer kernel, rest of the hardware needs something older).

I have an Edimax EW-7811Un USB wireless adapter here and it won't work in Wary 5.5 but it does work in Racy 5.5 which has a 3.0.x series kernel. I don't have any machines with Celeron processors at the moment, only Pentium 4 and Pentium M, but it is certainly worth trying Racy or some of the other more recent Puppies. If they will run they may be a tiny bit slower than Wary on your hardware, but being able to get on to the internet is essential I'm sure.

6502coder

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 15:36    Post subject:  

I have an even less capable laptop, a Sony with a 333 Mhz Pentium II, 192 Meg ram. But it runs a frugal install of Wary 5.1.4.1 just fine.

I have a cheap ($9) Netis WF-2111 wireless USB dongle working with the driver posted here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85220
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 15:40    Post subject:  

The edimax...

the opensource driver is kernel 3 plus but you can apparently use the realtek driver (RTL8192C) which supports kernels 2.6.18 and newer. Otherwise ndiswrapper might work for you.

See here...
http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/2012-10-07-edimax-ew-7811un-wireless-usb-150-mbits-802-11n

There may even be a built version on here hidden away.
Often there is more choice than some would like us to believe.

mike
zuren

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 17:14    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
I have an Edimax EW-7811Un USB wireless adapter here and it won't work in Wary 5.5 but it does work in Racy 5.5 which has a 3.0.x series kernel. I don't have any machines with Celeron processors at the moment, only Pentium 4 and Pentium M, but it is certainly worth trying Racy or some of the other more recent Puppies. If they will run they may be a tiny bit slower than Wary on your hardware, but being able to get on to the internet is essential I'm sure.

Do you think Racy 5.5 is even worth burning the ISO to CD when Wary 5.5 would not boot at all? I got a black screen with blinking cursor. I would have thought that they are similar enough to get a similar result.
zuren

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 17:24    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Curious kernel demands of that wifi..do you happen to know what prevents it building on an older kernel?. I bought a cheap and cheerful ralink rt2070 based one off ebay and it came with drivers that built ok on a 2.6.24 kernel. Might be one of those occasions in Linux when a few bob on hardware can save a lot of headaches.
I have a feeling that older celeraons are on the non PAE list but if it works then ignore that.

Taking into consideration the machine itself its more puppy 4 stuff... I have a couple of pentium 3's and that era of distro seem to fit the bill nicely. I have Lucid which is ok too but by no means essential.

mike

I'm a bit of a beginner so I'm uncertain about why the 3.x+ kernel requirement. The link you found as well as another I found reinforces this and give similar instructions to get around it - http://www.cianmcgovern.com/getting-the-edimax-ew-7811un-working-on-linux/.

I'm also unclear if the hardware is PAE or Non-PAE. Due to it's age and 512MB RAM max, I thought it to be Non-PAE. Someone in another forum mentioned PAE is okay so now I don't know.

Thanks for the help! I'll play with again later tonight and tomorrow to see if I can make progress.
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 18:07    Post subject:  

Only the opensource driver is limited to the 3 kernel. The one that compiles on older kernels is the one from ralink themselves. I have built another of theirs in the past and it works just fine (the cd with the dongle i mentioned)
If you are unsure just post a request perhaps in the hardware section of this forum ..give the driver link and version of puppy you want it for.

Non PAE ... older mobile non pentiums, early celerons, early AMD... you can usually find a list floating around the internat giving more precise information.

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 18:10    Post subject:  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1200812176&t=81953

drivers built for lucid and newer for puppy

mikr
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 18:55    Post subject:  

zuren wrote:
Do you think Racy 5.5 is even worth burning the ISO to CD when Wary 5.5 would not boot at all? I got a black screen with blinking cursor. I would have thought that they are similar enough to get a similar result.

Personally I take the view that burning ISO's to CD's doesn't take very long and doesn't cost very much so I would say it is always worth a try and fun to experiment. I believe Racy also has a different Xorg from the one in Wary as well as a different kernel, so that might help. You can try with some different boot parameters too perhaps.

ardvark

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 18:59    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
A PAE version, of a Puppy version, is for computers that have more than 4GB of ram.If you try a version of Puppy that has option of PAE or non-PAE, choose the non-PAE.

Thank you for the clarification, hence my disclaimer: "As far as PAE or non-PAE, I'm not sure but I would think PAE would do fine. Someone else on the fourm might have more (and better) information regarding this." Mr. Green

Regards...
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec 2013, 19:12    Post subject:  

Another brilliant idea I just had would be to try Dpup Exprimo
It has lots more bells and whistles than Wary or Racy ( including frisbee ) and yet runs nicely on older hardware. It is available in different kernel versions ( 3.x and 2.6.x ) and in fact I recall my Edimax worked in the 2.6.x kernel version ( Exprimo 5.X.15 ) which was the best one on my older P4 SiS machine.

Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: