Full install won't reboot after a power failure

Please post any bugs you have found
Tuneturkey

Full install won't reboot after a power failure

#1 Post by Tuneturkey »

I am running a virtual organ program, jOrgan, on a pc in my organ console, using linux puppy. Jorgan will run headless, no monitor, no keyboard/mouse. Therefore the console main power switch will shut everything down including the pc. Linux puppy was installed on the HD, file system ext3 and runs satisfactorily. However, after a power off, puppy does not re-boot. It is my understanding that the ext3 fs allows reboot without "shutdown errors".
1. How can I configure puppy 528 to re-boot without errors after "power off" shutdown?
2. Would frugal install work, rather then Full?

PC is desktop, with Pentium 4 - 3mhz, dual core, 2gb ram, 15gb hd(one partition, ext3 fs),
does not have USB boot option, only hd, cd, floppy. Boots fine from live cd and from HD.
Help,
Tuneturkey

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Ok there are leftover flag files in puppy that will block the booting sequence if left around.
There was a cleanup addition many moons ago for full installs but I don't think it got implemented into newer puppies...it had its own flag file and if present would clean up those other leftovers.
It may be a case of adding something yourself.....

I assume from your post you are just hitting the power...if you are remote controlling via ssh then a controlled shutdown would be better.

Otherwise a frugal loaded to ram and no save would be a workaround...perhaps custom remastered with the configuration.... then there is nothing to be left lying around and hitting the power button will have no consequences.
Another option would be the multisession DVD/CD approach.... would handle things in a similar fashion.

hope trhat makes some sense.

mike

L18L

#3 Post by L18L »

mightbe adding boot parameter
pfix=fsck
will help

Don't know what's a bug?

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Puppy has two shutdown commandos :

/sbin/reboot
/sbin/poweroff

These are short scripts, look into them for guidance .

I have two Dells Optiplex 7xx that do not reboot reliable
with kernels somehow >=2.6.34 ,
so am using Puppy-4 kernel 2.6.30.x .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Tuneturkey, if you're amenable to running from a frugal install as Mike suggested, that might solve your problem. I think that if you set a frugal Puppy to not save unless you tell it to, it will reboot without errors after a power fail. Anyway, that's what happens to me and I'm running Puppy from a multisession DVD, which I assume is equivalent to running from a frugal install with save interval set to 0 (no save unless told to.) Unless I've done something that I want to save, I simply turn off the power to shut Puppy down.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

It is my understanding that the ext3 fs allows reboot without "shutdown errors".
Its main advantage over ext2 is journaling, which improves reliability and eliminates the need to check the file system after an unclean shutdown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3 .. in theory .

Since Puppy 5 series there is /sbin/init doing a filesystem check if it finds some "fsckme.flg" or "fsckme.err" file in "/" .

That fsckme.* flag file is created by
#100911 fsckme.err filename changed to fsckme.flg. see also initNEW, init (initramfs), rc.shutdown.
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

and removed by
#100315 improper shutdown check. see /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, /init in initramfs, and /sbin/init...
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

If you poweroff without a proper configured acpi package,
the fsckme file is still there,
the /sbin/init will run fsck and reboot thereafter into grub menu .

If you have no timeout or default value set in grub menu.lst , then you can wait forever .
:lol:
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

Tuneturkey

#7 Post by Tuneturkey »

Thanks everone for the replys!
A bit more information on the specific application:
1. The computer running puppy linux is to be embedded inside of an organ console, in accessible to normal operation, and will run the virtual organ program "jOrgan" headless, i.e. without mouse,keyboard or monitor.
2. The oran console will have an on/off switch which will apply power to all devices within the console in addition to the puppy linux computer.
3. on application od ac power, the computer needs to boot up puppy and load and run the virtual organ software, preferably without inserting a cd, usb or other device. In addition, removal of ac power should not cause un revocerable conditions with the puppy machine such that upon re application of ac power, puppy fails to boot and load the organ software.
4. The computer being used is a desktop, Pentium 4, 3mhz, dual core processor with 2Gb ram, 15Gb HDD. Boot sequence is limited to cd and floppy. USB is not on the boot list. The computer does have an ethernet card and a wireless network card and will login to my home network without any problem. The home network is running on a win7 machine.
5. The computer will not be used for any other function then what is described above

Reason for using Linux puppy is that it is small, functional, well supported
and the iso jwill fit on a standard cd.

Experience so far;
1. full installation is not practical since the os will not tolerate a power off shutdown.
2. Frugal install appears to be the most reasonable.
3. The frugal install appears to work, but when the cd is removed, puppy comes up with an error 15. The initial setup was made without installing grub. so i rebooted with the cd in place and installed grub and configured it. Startup without the cd in place still produces the error 15.

Questions:
1. With grub install correctly, will the computer boot without the cd in the drive?
2. if grub is to be installed should EXT2 be used rather then ext3 or 4.

The setup steps i am follwing are;
1. boot puppy with the 5.2.8 cd.
2. fdsk the hd, removing the existing partition 1
3. rebot the computer.
4. use Gparted and add a new primary partition 1, bootable, ext2 fs.
5. write partition to HD.
6. go the universal puppy loader and install puppy on SDA1., selecting cd, frugal install and following the prompts. When should grub be configured and installed. During the univ. load sequence?
7. With this procedure finished, should the computer be rebooted without the live cd in the drive the first time, or not?

With the cd still in the drive, it boots just fine, but drops any other changes made to jorgan.
without the cd, error 15.

Any help will be appreciated.
Tuneturkey

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

For what you describe I would think a multisession CD/DVDwould be the most suitable... could you do without the hard drive?
A multisession or indeed a remaster could include the organ software unless its huge.
This to me would give the closest to an embedded system.

mike

Tuneturkey

#9 Post by Tuneturkey »

Hi Mike,
no i don't really need the HDD, however the cd is a reader only, no burn capability. Would that impact the multisession cd/DVD?
The frugal install would be fine, if I could get it to work without the cd in the drive.
Should the live cd be removable after install? I am not real clear on that point.
tuneturkey

Tuneturkey

#10 Post by Tuneturkey »

mike,
What is a "remaster"?
I am a total "newbie" to linux period! This is my first venture away from windows (XP, Win7).
Be kind with the technicalities. I have engineering background, and am literate when it comes to DOS and windows, but linux is a horse of a different color. Its difficult to define a term when you have to google most of the words in the definition. However, if thats what it takes, I'm good!
tuneturkey

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Ok no read/write would put the stoppers on multisession....would involve doing it on another machine or swapping drives at least to set it up.
By a not dissimilar token a remaster would be a bit fiddly. There is a wizard that rebuilds your puppy including any changes or added software. Once custom built for a machine which you can do it would not need a save as such. Such a rebuild could be used frugally too.

Boot from cd..if it loads into ram then it could be removed.

Frugal not booting...grub4dos installer usually sorts it out.

ok trying not to overload with information here

mike

Tuneturkey

#12 Post by Tuneturkey »

Thanks mike,
I'll try grubfordos and see what happens.
Probably would be best all around is to get a DVDRW drive, and end the problems.
tuneturkey

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

A DVD burner would be an excellent solution. For the record, a multisession CD configured and burned in a different computer would probably boot from a read-only CD drive if a regular Puppy CD will. You just couldn't save any settings, the same as booting any other Puppy from a read-only CD drive.

Between remastering or running from a multisession CD or DVD, the multisession approach would probably take fewer trials to get it to work. Just use a DVD-RW to start with, so you don't make a pile of coasters.

Tuneturkey

#14 Post by Tuneturkey »

Mike and all,http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/images/icons/icon6.gif
Ran grub4dos and it cleaned up the mess, well best i can tell it did!
It now does a normal boot without the cd and loads jOrgan! Great!
However, I did a "power switch off" shutdown and all went wel till it came up with the "x didn't restart" window, with the choice to "Ignore" or "go to the comandline". I chose the former and it completed the startup,

How do I get it to restart "X" automatically after a "power switch off shutdown"?
Tuneturkey

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Well we are back to puppies desire to scatter flag files around and then gets stubborn if its not happy with them.

Well are you going to be running headless (pfix=nox) in the end...in which case these annoyances do not apply. ?

mike

Tuneturkey

#16 Post by Tuneturkey »

Mike,
Yes, absolutely. Thats the whole point. The intent is to install the computer in the organ console.
You turn on the power switch, wait a couple of minutes, and play.
Having to restart "x" means there has to be a keyboard, monitor, etc.
Tuneturkey

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Ok just to check if we are travelling along the same track here...

the final implementation will not run X so would not be affected by the dirty poweroffs.... only during configuration it would be a minor problem.

Does that mean this aspect is solved...or at least no fix or workaround is needed.... if I am getting this wrong let me know :)

mike

Tuneturkey

#18 Post by Tuneturkey »

yes,
i suspect that the basic issue is solved, as allowing for the 30sec timeout, "X"
is installed and all is good.
Would be nice of the 30 sec could be reduced or eliminated. other then that, the Frugal install is the way to go.
Thanks for the help.
Tuneturkey

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

the delay is either in /etc/profile or /usr/bin/xwin I believe...on windows at the mo so cannot check.

mike