Puppy Package Manager "hangs"

Please post any bugs you have found
grega

Puppy Package Manager "hangs"

#1 Post by grega »

When attempting to change the "size" of columns in "Puppy Package Manager" (PPM) in Slacko Puppy version 5.6, the cursor does not change back to the standard "Arrow" but stays as the "double pointed arrow (<-->)" and no longer is able to DO ANYTHING.
I'm unable to select a new window, close PPM or interact with any X object.

Used Ctl-Alt-F2 to open a console, tty2, ran "ps -ef" to determine the PIDs of PPM and additional programs started by it and did a "kill -15 <PIDS>" to regain control of X.

Moat

#2 Post by Moat »

Hmm... just found the same PPM behavior in Carolina 1.1 - froze the desktop with the <-> cursor (still moveable, but otherwise completely non-functional), required Ctrl+Alt+Backspace then xwin cmd to get back to the desktop. I'm a clueless newb as to why, but quite possibly a real bug...

Keef

#3 Post by Keef »

Yep. Just got same result with current Slacko (testing). Did ctrl+alt+backspace to get out of the lockup.
Not that I actually use the PPM for anything much :lol:

Another thing - although I was careful about where I put my cursor, the PPM still selected the top entry (Blackbox) even though I hadn't selected it. In the screeny below, as soon as I press the mouse button, Blackbox gets selected, the pre-install dialog pops up, and I can move the column width until the mouse button is released, then it locks up.
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-12-28_225325.png
(97.29 KiB) Downloaded 440 times

Moat

#4 Post by Moat »

Keef wrote:Another thing - although I was careful about where I put my cursor, the PPM still selected the top entry (Blackbox) even though I hadn't selected it.
Oh yeah... that's right! Exact same thing happened here.

I wonder if this is a bug with this particular version/family of PPM, as my "regular" Pups (BarryK's official versions) all have the older (?) PPM GUI, and I've never before experienced this behavior with those.

Bob

Moat

#5 Post by Moat »

Output running PPM from terminal -

Code: Select all

# /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh
/usr/local/petget/installpreview.sh: line 130: [: too many arguments
cat: /tmp/petget_installpreview_pkgname: No such file or directory
/usr/local/petget/installpreview.sh: line 280: 11887 Terminated            yaf
-splash -bg orange -text “Please wait, processing package database files...

Keef

#6 Post by Keef »

You can switch from Ziggy's GUI to the "Classic" GUI in settings. It has exactly the same problem though.
There is some reference to column resizing in the gtkdialog development thread here. Column resizing works ok in pMusic, so maybe it is curable.

Moat

#7 Post by Moat »

Thanks Keef - as I never got around to trying the Ziggy GUI, I didn't even realize that's what I'm starin' at. Doh.

Looks like JakeSFR and 01micko have already sorted the PPM bug out in woof-CE -

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/291

Bob