Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 02:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
My report on Quirky 6.0
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 50 [740 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 48, 49, 50 Next
tronkel

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 08:34    Post subject:  

That'll teach 'em Sage - lol - well said and well written!

Yes, it's the correct thing to do to help others along a difficult path to knowledge

charlie6

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:53    Post subject:  

Hi Bqrry
here auick 1st setup on be+lqtin1 keyboqrd ....guess zhqt Wink
(posting from Q601 installed on ext4 hdd partition)
i have sticked paper chips to translate my kbd Laughing
There could be something like the non-us-keyboard story..

i could not install to USB key memory (see story above)m even from within this partition full install (USB flash install ask for an .iso file ... Confused )

Many thanks to ETP for sharing his knowledges as also all the time he has spent to give advices Wink

Q601 looks faster than ever

cheers
happy NY to all Very Happy
charlie6

PostPosted: Sat 28 Dec 2013, 06:42    Post subject:  

Here are (unsorted) some difficulties encoutered while «struggling» to get a bootable USB-flash-key while using the install-to-drive.sh script:

- even if syslinux-4.0.5 is installed (thanks Barry !), the created fat16 partition is told as boot by GParted, but actually won't boot;
- GParted reported (reading the «details») missing f2fs-tolls while wanting to check the f2fs created partition;
- the fat16 partition created by /Menu/setup/BootFlash_Install_Puppy_to_USB boots OK (i got a succesfull boot start after copy of the files created by the above script onto an already BootFlash formated USBflashkey: i got the boot splash screen +vmlinuz starting...but nothing more: perhaps the syslinux.cfg needed the right PARTUUID ...);
- i followed ETP's recommandation «close all rox windows» while launching Q6.0.1's install script; otherwise, the install script tells «sdb1 no such file or directory» at populating steps;
- i unplug/replug my key (then care to have it unmounted !!) after formating step;
- i needed to get my USBflashkey repaired using GParted/Partition/Check facility as fdisk -l /dev/sdb1 reported possible damages;
- i did not succeed in using GParted to get a bootable fat16_partition; i even have wondered if GParted could do it ... Confused ;

I also learned a bit more through all those experimentations ...
Friendly Regards, Charlie
don570

PostPosted: Sat 28 Dec 2013, 13:49    Post subject:  

Oddity.....

When I right-clicked on certain graphic formats like jpeg and svg
the 'Open with' app list didn't list mtpaint. With the PNG format
it did list mtpaint.

__________________________________________-
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 09:28    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
Oddity.....

When I right-clicked on certain graphic formats like jpeg and svg
the 'Open with' app list didn't list mtpaint. With the PNG format
it did list mtpaint.

__________________________________________-

That would be svg. mtpaint is always listed in Open With, it just won't recognise svg, ditto with Viewnior.

I thought that I had fixed it for 6.0.1, but found not. But definitely fixed for 6.1.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 11:58    Post subject:  

charlie6 wrote:
- even if syslinux-4.0.5 is installed (thanks Barry !), the created fat16 partition is told as boot by GParted, but actually won't boot;
- i did not succeed in using GParted to get a bootable fat16_partition; i even have wondered if GParted could do it ... Confused ;

Why in the world do you want to use FAT16? (If that's not a typo and you really meant FAT32.) Just curious. Confused
ETP

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 12:53    Post subject:  

Hi Flash,

The first partition on the stick (The boot partition) is 16MB in size. It is created, formatted and has its parameters set by Barry’s install script. A partition has to be > 32MB to be formatted as FAT32 so a FAT16 format is correct.
don

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 15:20    Post subject: Puppy Pets in Quirky6  

As a long time Puppy user, but with no coding ability and a 93 year old brain, I am pleasantry surprised that I had no difficulty at all in getting Quirky6 installed. It has been running for several days with no problems - just minor annoyances over my inability to set up some of my favorite features. Somewhat to my surprise I find that some puppy pets do work, but others do not. For example, pupclockset and xonclock are OK, but pupshutdown is not.

Is there a way to recognize (predict) which pets will run in Quirky and and which will not?

Is there any possibility that someday Firefox will be able run in Quirky. I do not like Seamonkey because of my inability to cope with the very small fonts used in the tool bars.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 18:31    Post subject:  

There is a way to increase the size of the text in SeaMonkey's toolbars, etc.. I forget what it is, but I think it involves entering about:config in SeaMonkey's address window, then finding the appropriate setting and changing it. (Try the lines beginning with font. Select one, right-click on it and enter a new value for the minimum font size. You may have to restart SeaMonkey to see the change.)
James C

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013, 19:27    Post subject:  

I've used Theme Font & Size Changer before with good results.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamonkey/addon/theme-font-size-changer/
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 01:43    Post subject: Version Upgrade Manager from Barry Kauler  

@BarryK, I dont know if this question is consistent with your latest creation "Version Upgrade Manager" but is there a way to create an bootable ISO from that tool. as well, without the need for the original ISO/IMG file (I'm thinking everything needed to create a copy of the system, in the form of an ISO, is present in the running system and this utility system service)?

In any event, this product is providing guidance in new areas of Puppy support.

Thanks for your accomplishment.
Edited: The first paragraph to make clear the request for understanding

Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 01:31; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 07:13    Post subject: Re: Puppy Pets in Quirky6  

don wrote:
As a long time Puppy user, but with no coding ability and a 93 year old brain, I am pleasantry surprised that I had no difficulty at all in getting Quirky6 installed. It has been running for several days with no problems - just minor annoyances over my inability to set up some of my favorite features. Somewhat to my surprise I find that some puppy pets do work, but others do not. For example, pupclockset and xonclock are OK, but pupshutdown is not.

Is there a way to recognize (predict) which pets will run in Quirky and and which will not?

Is there any possibility that someday Firefox will be able run in Quirky. I do not like Seamonkey because of my inability to cope with the very small fonts used in the tool bars.

I will get around to weeding out all PETs offered in the Package Manager that don't work in Quirky6.

pupshutdown is not appropriate, Quirky doesn't need any shutdown application. There is NO SESSION SAVE-FILE.

The size of all fonts in SeaMonkey are adjustable. If not in the Preferences menu, there is a file in /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/3o1ptd5r.default/chrome that can be edited.

Firefox could be compiled for Quirky6.

don

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 12:26    Post subject: Font size of Seamonkey's menus  

BarryK wrote:
The size of all fonts in SeaMonkey are adjustable. If not in the Preferences menu, there is a file in /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/3o1ptd5r.default/chrome that can be edited.

Thank you, Barry K. The chrome file works very nicely.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec 2013, 05:53    Post subject:  

Q 6.1 is out, see my blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00036

Although there is a Service Pack to upgrade from 6.0.1, unless you particularly want to do that, you might prefer to do a new installation, so as to have a nice pristine 6.1 -- then you can take a system snapshot, for recovery back to the original state if required.

Note, the install scripts, 'install-quirky-to-drive.sh' and 'install-quirky-to-partition.sh' have various improvements, so grab the latest.

charlie6

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec 2013, 05:59    Post subject: about getting an USB boot partition  

Hi,
maybe this is far from being relevant to Q6.0.1 ...
runnig Pemasu's raring-3.9.9.2 + embedded syslinux-3.73
this works:
- create boot USB lash using Menu/Setup/BootFlash install at the condition that the wanted puppies .iso archive is located in / or /root; if that .iso archive is located somewhere else (i.e. on an external USB hdd), then the error message «Sorry error mounting USB drive» is displayed (i have tried to mount the usb drive manualy without success);
The resulting usb key boots OK!

Here, this does not work:
- on the same rraring-3.9.9.2 session, if installed the syslinux-4.05 pet downloaded from quirky-6.0.1 repo, then doing the above BootFlash install results in getting a non bootable USB key: trying to boot from it results in «no bootable disk - please insert a bootable floppy ...blablibla» prompt displayed.

cheers, charlie
Page 10 of 50 [740 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 48, 49, 50 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: