Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 27 Aug 2014, 13:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
USB Flash Drive Quality
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
slavvo67

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 14:07    Post subject:  USB Flash Drive Quality
Subject description: USB Flash Drives - The better ones...

I thought it might be a public service to list the USB drives that have been reliable for me and others that have not:

PNY USB Drives: No failures. Case quality is sometimes poor (the small red and blue almost square ones). I can't tell you how many times the plastic casing comes off and I have to use pliers to get this out of my USB port. I recommend the smaller metal casing when you buy the PNY brand. There's a small hook for a keychain if you choose, as well. No failures or other issues with the PNY drives. I make them bootable, as well. No probs. - My first choice.

Gigaware (I think it's Radio Shack Brand): Only used one Gigaware USB drive but it works like a charm. Never had an issue. The casing is good, it hasn't failed and the casing is good. I haven't used to boot.

Lexar: I have one that I haven't had any issues with this one. It folds into its casing and has provided reliable storage.

Sandisk: I used to purchase many of these but I found the quality to be hit or miss. I have personally lost data on at least 2 Sandisk drives that I have not been able to recover. Though one of the most common to find near me, I won't touch one again except in extreme emergency.

Dane: In my opinion, pure garbage. I purchased 2 at the same time and one did not work. The other was not reliable and eventually died, as well.

Also, it seems to me that the larger the USB drive, the more likely there is to be problems. I try to stick with the 4 GB or 8 GB. If you're going to go much more, you might as well purchase a WD Passport drive. I have an external WD Passport (external) and it's been very reliable.
ThoriumBlvd

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 14:42    Post subject:  

How about these Brands...

Transcend excellant SDHC still sells SLC CF cards usb OK
Patriot Last of the X-Mini is gone... very good
SanDisk new micro-sized usb's look popular and v. good
Kingston over-priced but v. good

I note that with the newest and smallest (micro) "Thumb-drives" that one should not maximize the storage: that is don't go for 32Gb or more... keep it 8/16 Gb.

6502coder

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 15:47    Post subject:  

I notice that on some of the recent SanDisk flash drives, like the Cruzer Blade, the rectangular plug shell isn't made of aluminum, instead it's plastic. Aside from being more likely to break, there is more friction with plastic than with aluminum, making it harder to insert and remove these drives from a sticky USB port. More fragile and stickier--not a good combination.
Last edited by 6502coder on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 17:56; edited 2 times in total
Barkin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 16:06    Post subject:  

ThoriumBlvd wrote:
How about these Brands...
Transcend excellant SDHC still sells SLC CF cards usb OK ...

I've had a transcend 32Gb "jetflash" USB plugged into a home security system for 3 years : during that period it is being written to 24/7 and is still working fine.
Scooby

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 16:30    Post subject:  

I've had two lexar gone bad on me.

Coincidence? perhaps? well I dont buy them anymore
Marv

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 18:07    Post subject:  

I have never had a transcend fail me. USB flash drives from 64Mb (whenever that was!) up to the present 8,16, and 32 Gb. Still using the 64Mb and a 128Mb as archives and have given away a lot of the intermediate sizes as I've updated mine. Also have used transcend CF cards as main drives in ide adapters, from the 80x 256Mb up through the 4, 8, 16, and 32Gb CF150 and CF160 industrials which I love. These get hammered and again I've never had one fail. And nope, I don't work for transcend Very Happy
slavvo67

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec 2013, 23:18    Post subject: Thanks Everyone...  

Thanks for all the input. I can see we all have had some experiences (good and bad) with USB drives. I only used one Lexar and had no issue with it but judging by the post above, I think that I'll stay away from the Lexar brand in the future.

For the record, I also do not work for any of the companies listed or any computer related company for that matter.

I see a few brands in the posts that I haven't seen on the local store shelves. I also keep cost in mind, so at least for now the PNY still seem very good for the price.

Best regards,

Slavvo67
Monsie

PostPosted: Wed 25 Dec 2013, 05:04    Post subject: USB Flash Drive Quality  

Just for the record I have four Lexar flash drives, and all are running fine. In fact, I have had three of them for five years and they have all had heavy use. Wink

slavvo67, this is an interesting topic and could provide some useful information. Toward this end, it would be better to get a good sample response from the community. Consider conducting a poll of the membership to get some data about which brands of usb drives have failed for them. Then, you could analyze and table the results. If your poll is clear and well worded, and you get a decent response from the community (sample size) you might be able to draw some meaningful conclusions.

Monsie

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 25 Dec 2013, 12:17    Post subject:  

Id avoid WD drives got a 2T model and it hard died witbout warning. Stripped it from surround and checked inside SATA drive clicks but shows zero. Lost over a year of family backups ( hard drive images taken before major upgrades for many of our computer ) the only remaining WD 700G model micro freezes often but shows no errors itself when checked but does cause windows to treat it as bad. I only place files I do not care as much about on a media server.
Found the hard way DDing on to flash is a guarantee to speed failure of device, and I the case of a new 32G flashdrive permanent slowdown.

No issues with Seagate or Toshiba brands
As flash drives I just buy as needed or if at high discounts. I have less then successful using flashdrives due to SLOW speeds. Still have a plexer 256M flashdrive bare board lost cheap plasitic case years ago..
Best one so far I got from an Car repair place to use for music on car stereo.. Its brand called SCOSCHE
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 25 Dec 2013, 13:42    Post subject:  

I had a verbatim flash drive. I am going to say this, it just sucks.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 21:36    Post subject: Backup Ur USB's  

Well, if nothing else I think we all learned that we need to back-up these drives. Personally, I don't trust keeping anything important in the cloud so I guess that I'll just keep buying hardware and backing things up......
headfound

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 18:42    Post subject:  

I exclusively use Kingston se9 flash drives now -

My pc will not run properly from sata anymore so I run puppy on these sticks, changed every six months. They aren't the fastest but are reliable and tough. I always backup to dvds as ive lost too much data on hard disks!

ardvark

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec 2013, 19:08    Post subject: Re: USB Flash Drive Quality

slavvo67 wrote:

PNY USB Drives: No failures. Case quality is sometimes poor (the small red and blue almost square ones). I can't tell you how many times the plastic casing comes off and I have to use pliers to get this out of my USB port. I recommend the smaller metal casing when you buy the PNY brand. There's a small hook for a keychain if you choose, as well. No failures or other issues with the PNY drives. I make them bootable, as well. No probs. - My first choice.

I agree, although I haven't had too many problems with the cases...the cover on one (of the three I've owned) broke off. Otherwise, yes, they seem to be a very good brand. Smile

@bark_bark_bark: What problems did you have with your verbatim drive?

Regards...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
wboz

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec 2013, 09:59    Post subject:  

Kingston is my go to brand. I do use plenty of no-name ones that I may have received for free, usually for testing or other not-that-important stuff.

And I specifically avoid SanDisk. They seem to do something with firmware or partitioning that is intended to leave "persistent" guides for a consumer on the disk, but it just messes stuff up.

I agree with Headfound, those wee aluminum drives are awesome.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014, 09:51    Post subject: Re: USB Flash Drive Quality

ardvark wrote:
What problems did you have with your verbatim drive?

The drive stopped working after 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: