#162 Post by BarryK »

Just want to upload this somewhere, details coming:
Attachments
qwallpaper-20140101.tar.gz
(5.97 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#163 Post by Sage »

6.1: curious drive icons disappear on right click?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#164 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:Just want to upload this somewhere, details coming:
Details here:
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00037

A nice wallpaper setter!

adi

greetings

#165 Post by adi »

Happy new Year to all developers!!! It's Nice to see a new distro in the first day!!!

adi

usb sticks

#166 Post by adi »

Now I post from Quirky 6.1. Can I use one installation on a single usb stick for several computers or I have to buy separate sticks for each computer? With puppy I made several puppy save files with the names of all my computers.

Sage

#167 Post by Sage »

One stick for all machines, except you might need to use the new wallpaper setter described on BK's blog. And make sure you set each BIOS, and/or use appropriate booting adjunct as I indicated or Bk's comment WakePup2, previous page. Q6 is a FULL so no separate save files.

bobtron

Quirky 6.1

#168 Post by bobtron »

Greetings to Barry K., the team and all the lads and lassies ("puppy" pun intended!-hihi),.. from the boundaries of Illinois land,{near Chicago}, within the republic of United States.
Update from Q6.0.1 to Q6.1 was smooth.
it fixed PARTVIEW {previous Q6.0.1, I only got an "OK"/"Close" box but no info image
My self (Q6.1) and my work colleague {Q6.0.1} seem have trouble opening .PDF viewer that includes an image (.JPG or .PNG?-i dunno)..the image box is shaded "grey" only...but.text only.PDF's are displayed.Are we doing something wrong?
2014 XMAS wish list?:: VLC? Gnome media player?.."Mplayer" works fine but I wish to "open" an entire directory/folder and play entire stuff.
Also, how about "Fun" stuff?..Aisle riot? Frozen bubble?
It is +10 degree F and ~3" inches snow here now.
Question Do folks from "land down under" build snow men upside down?-hehe..Ooops forgot..wrong time of year!..how about beach sand castles?

ozsouth

Another winner

#169 Post by ozsouth »

Well done, Barry. Retirement has freed you from the mundane, precipitating yet another winner.

Moat

#170 Post by Moat »

Well, this foggy-headed newb had no problem installing Quirky 6.1 onto a low-profile SanDisc Cruzer Fit 8 Gb flash drive. The "Zeroing" process of Barry's install script had me a little concerned, as not much appeared to be going on for about the 20 minutes it took to complete - but eventually complete, it did.

Booted fine (quite fast @ ~28 sec. instead of the ~45-50 sec. of my "normal" Pups) on this old HP Pavilion dv5000 Core Duo @ 1600 mhz laptop. Screen resolution and sound both proper/working. Network Setup Wizard found and configured my Trendnet USB dialup modem without drama (posting this from Quirky ATM). Overall responsive and very fast, with low CPU use @ idle. :D

Just a couple of things/bugs I've noticed after playing around for a bit -

1) After changing font size/type in Chtheme, clicking "apply" and finally "OK" - the desktop disappears (all black, any open windows/applications vanish). Taskbar and menu remain, though, and re-starting X brings the desktop back with the desired font size/type changes in place.

2) Seamonkey is loading the CPU a bit much, TOP showing a 6-13% load from the plugin-container - libflashplayer.so something-or-other, alone.

Pwidgets 2.4.1 installed and seems to be running just fine! :D

Both Tempicon 0.16 and 0.21 installed but would not run. :cry:

A Wbar-2.3.4 pet found somewhere on this forum (?) appeared to install OK and is also functioning fine - but the Wbar GUI configuration utility won't run, requiring manual text editing of the config file.

Both Pwidgets and Wbar are persistent thru re-boots, as well.

A bit too "adventurous" :shock: , I threw Vicmz's excellent openboxplus-1.6.1 pet at it, just to see what would happen (I'm a real fan of that Openbox/LxPanel combo!) - appeared to install and run, but opening some applications or attempting to configure the panel via right-click results in the panel and menu completely disappearing (restarting X brings it back). Openbox config utility would not open, either. :cry:

Great stuff, BarryK! Really interested to see where this one leads...
Attachments
Screenshot_quirky1.png
(155.85 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

Billtoo

My report on Quirky 6.0

#171 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 1tb usb 3.0 hard drive, computer is an hp desktop pc.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky, version 6.1

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Oland [Radeon HD 8500 Series]

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1920x1080
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): vesa
Loaded modules: dbe ddc extmod fb int10 kbd mouse shadow vbe

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Added some pets and switched to icewm, everything is working well.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-03_081438.jpg
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
screenshot.jpg
(43.47 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 03 Jan 2014, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

charlie6

#172 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Barry,
- upgrade using the 23MB service-pack from ibiblio repo; need to erase xorg.conf.* files and run xorgwizard again; + re-run the QuickSetup first run from /Menu/Setup; posting from this session now;
- thanks for 6.1 upgrade ... which now i can use with a be-latin1 keyboard (i.e. belgian-french and -dutch keyboard);
- i appreciate ted-2.23-quirky6.pet + its dep. libpaper-1.1.24+nmu2-quirky6.pet as i'm daily using it since ca. 2 years long ....but... i got an install error downloading it from nluug repo: moreover SM's download manager reports a 9,5MB archive against 3MB if installed OK from ibiblio repo.
- also install error using the f2fs-tools-1.2.0-quirky6.pet dwlded from nluug (90KB reported); no error if dwnlded from ibiblio (rep. 33,9KB)

- question: the siliconmotion.ko video driver is no longer present ... ant chance to get it in a next update? or is it no longer available for this 3.12-kernel?

cheers, Charlie
Attachments
capture16949.jpg
(32.79 KiB) Downloaded 639 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Quirky 6.1

#173 Post by BarryK »

bobtron wrote: My self (Q6.1) and my work colleague {Q6.0.1} seem have trouble opening .PDF viewer that includes an image (.JPG or .PNG?-i dunno)..the image box is shaded "grey" only...but.text only.PDF's are displayed.Are we doing something wrong?
No, you haven't done anything wrong! Its the Poppler library at fault.

We have had a frustrating time with Poppler over at least the past year. The version used in Wary, 0.14.x I think, works fine, but later versions render some PDFs with wrong colors.

This morning I looked, and saw latest from unstable release, 0.25.0, has some color fixes. Yes, color is fixed!

However, as you experienced in Q6.1, some images do not render in PDFs, some do -- I haven't figured out any pattern to it.
The very latest poppler 0.25.0 still has that problem.

So, for the next Q, 6.1.1, I am going back to the old version of poppler as used in Wary.

It has been frustrating for me today, as I spent about 5 hours straight this morning compiling and testing various versions of poppler, different patch, different libjpeg libs (coz I wondered if libjpeg had something to do with it, as that library keeps changing, and can be an issue -- another annoying thing).
No joy, so just reverting to the old poppler.

This kind of messing around is what I have been doing for years, one of the things I wanted to get away from!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#174 Post by BarryK »

Moat wrote:Well, this foggy-headed newb had no problem installing Quirky 6.1 onto a low-profile SanDisc Cruzer Fit 8 Gb flash drive. The "Zeroing" process of Barry's install script had me a little concerned, as not much appeared to be going on for about the 20 minutes it took to complete - but eventually complete, it did.
That zeroing is optional, not needed.

The option was there, so if you wanted to create a image-file from the drive, to distribute to others, or even for yourself, you could, and the zeroizing helped to create a smaller file.

I have found however, that it is better to zeroize the entire drive, rather than in the filesystems inside the two partitions, and the script will be modified to do that. Can result in a much smaller file.

Sage

#175 Post by Sage »

Seamonkey is loading the CPU a bit much, TOP showing a 6-13% load
Get Opera(.com) as i386 Deb(other). Get rid of SM. If you need an email client for your compact distro, Sylpheed is in the repo and someone(?) is looking at making a compatible Claws .pet. Intend to try one previous EudoraOsE .pet s soon.
UPDATE:
I have located a fully working .pet of Eudora - excellent/recommended/spots-off job. Will upload if someone gives explicit instructions, location, etc.
Last edited by Sage on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#176 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo,
I think that you reported that a terminal will not open from the right-click menu in ROX-Filer.

I had fixed that, fixed in 6.0.1. Now the bug has come back!

I investigated, and was astonished that an entire directory is missing, /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc

...'fonts' has somehow turned into a symlink, with nothing in it.

This is astonishing because I haven't done anything that would cause that. This is a worry, as I have investigated and can't see how it could have occurred.

Anyway, I will build Q 6.1.1 and see if that 'misc' directory survives.

Note, 'misc' is there when I built 6.1 in Woof, in the SFS file. It is also in the 'quirky-6.1.usfs.xz' file. But, after the contents of that file get written to a Flash drive, it is gone.

That is the mystery. There is one thing different, I am using 'cp' compiled statically, from coreutils 8.13. Before was using the shared-lib cp.

I do know that 'cp' can cause directories to disappear. This happened sometime ago, I think when we were using an older coreutils that was not properly thread-aware. At the time, I was most alarmed, as entire directories just vanished, never appeared in the target. I solved it at the time, not by upgrading cp, but by disabling advanced hyperthreading options in the kernel.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#177 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo,
In case you want to compile packages in 6.1, there is something missing from the 'devx' PET.

There should be a file /etc/profile.d/pkgconfig, with this in it:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/X11R7/share/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig"

This needs to be created, then reboot.

Moat

#178 Post by Moat »

BarryK wrote: That zeroing is optional, not needed... the zeroizing helped to create a smaller file.
I made the choice thinking an additional "sweep" of this well-used stick might not be a bad idea - and made an image while running the script as well, to play with down the road (ended up @ 150.8 Mb). Glad I did the zeroizing, then! Thanks for the explanation.

Bob

Moat

#179 Post by Moat »

Sage wrote:If you need an email client for your compact distro, Sylpheed is in the repo...
Yes - good advice... I'll do that. Sylpheed is great - light, super fast, easy to set up, un-cluttered. My favorite email client!

Bob

Sage

#180 Post by Sage »

re. Moat and others needing a good email client, EudoraOSE1.0 as a .pet now available, thanks to kindness of micko on;

http://01micko.com/sage/

Works like a dream in Q6.1, no need to mess with Sylpheed.
Last edited by Sage on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.