Overlapping Icon Fix: Fatdog and Lighthouse

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Eathray

Overlapping Icon Fix: Fatdog and Lighthouse

#1 Post by Eathray »

I've had the problem of my optical drive icon overlapping other drives in Lighthouse64 and Fatdog64, both 5xx's. This happens under the circumstance of booting from a live-cd when the grid is set to medium or course rather than the default fine.

The reason I reset the grid to medium or course is because it is very difficult to line up my icons nicely in the fine setting. Under the circumstance I've described, using the Desktop Icon Manager to erase and redraw the icons does not work. As soon as I restart the X-server, my cd icon will be overlapping one of my other drive icons.

My solution is pretty simple, but it works on my end.

1. First I set the grid to medium or course:
Right-click on any desktop icon and go to ROX-filer/Options. Next, go to Pinboard/Icon Grid Step and select medium or course. Close.

2. Next add and arrange your icons to your personal preference on your desktop. I would personally adjust each one with the new grid setting.

3. Go back to ROX-filer/Options/Pinboard/Icon Grid Step and return the grid setting to fine as it was in step-one before you changed it, then close.

4. Go to Menu/Desktop/Desktop Drive Icons Manager, open it and tick the option to erase, then redraw and realign the desktop icons. Close.

5. Now go to Menu/Shutdown/Restart X-server.

That's it. After you've changed your icons with the medium or course grid setting to your liking, simply return the grid setting to it's default state of fine before you restart the X-server.

I don't know why it's been a problem but the key seems to be keeping the grid in it's default setting of fine rather than medium or course. But you can change the setting to better align your icons... just change it back to fine when you're done, and follow the normal procedures mentioned to redraw icons and restart X.

Hope that's helpful to anyone out there who's had this trouble. It drove me crazy for a while till I figured this out.

Eathray

number698

#2 Post by number698 »

thanks Eathray, this had me bugged for a few days - after changing to coarse.